i7 2600K cant successfully overclock, had hit 4.8 and 5.0ghz before?

markm75

Gawd
I had extremely good success for 24 hours on prime95 at 4.8 and 5.0ghz (see this link for details on the bios settings i used), at 1.385 and 1.41 volts..
http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/941863-p8p67-deluxe-2600k-5-0ghz-success.html

I ran into an issue with the motherboard.. had to have it replaced (if i had more than one ram stick in, it wouldnt post, i also had bsod errors with the same cpu that was working fine)..

So i get the new board, put the old cpu back in (had bought another cpu, tried putting it in, but the cpu fault led kept coming on, so i've stuck with the old original sb cpu that hit 5.0ghz)..

So i updated to the bios that i had success with.. put the old settings in..

No luck..

I dont even get a bsod, it just spontaneously reboots.. there is no mini dump or bsod..

I've tried a bunch of settings.. including lowering to 4.7ghz.. i've tried setting the duty to extreme and cpu capability to 120%, nothing helps..

I've even increased the volts at 4.7ghz to what i had working at 5.0ghz (1.41) when really it shouldnt need more than 1.385 with this cpu, from its past working state..

I've run out of ideas, short of replacing the cpu yet again (i think the replacement was just a doa) and then redoing the settings custom to the new cpu.

Any thoughts?

Also wondering if maybe my cpu has decided to go south on me.. (i do have 2 of 4 drives in an my areca addon pciex4 raid which appear to be "missing" but havent had a chance to figure out why).

Thanks for any suggestions here.

I have had no issues w/ 1.41v on my 2600k. How much vdroop are you seeing during p95 load ?

I have had no issues w/ 1.41v on my 2600k. How much vdroop are you seeing during p95 load ?

I've not tried to look for that..

What do i do.. run cpuz.. before running prime95, note the volts, then run the test, note volts again? Ill check if this is right..

I've not tried to look for that..

What do i do.. run cpuz.. before running prime95, note the volts, then run the test, note volts again? Ill check if this is right..

In the case of 4.8ghz.. i have the bios set to 1.395..

I ran the latest cpuz 64bit..

it showed:

Then for the first 30 seconds of prime95 blend: 1.416 1.42, 1.416

**I also notice that i have my raid card enabled in the bios (i usually disable it when stressing).. despite this, i dont see my other array i have on the raid, which shows up fine in the raid bios (my D drive data).. its the E drive array that was missing two members.. so my drive letter for D is missing.. i dont see the areca harddrive listed in the hardware either.. this is probably something entirely separate, but odd no less.

Try the following for 4.8:

48x Multiplier (obviously =D)
Load Line Calibration - Ultra High
Phase Control - Extreme
VRM Frequency - 350
CPU Current - 100%

VCore - 1.41v

See if stable and then try bringing it down from there.

Try the following for 4.8:

48x Multiplier (obviously =D)
Load Line Calibration - Ultra High
Phase Control - Extreme
VRM Frequency - 350
CPU Current - 100%

VCore - 1.41v

See if stable and then try bringing it down from there.

Unfortunately already had:

Bios Settings: (prime95 stable for 24 hours)

P8P67 Deluxe:

Bios: 1204
AI OC Tuner: manual
BCLK: 100
Turbo Ratio: By all cores via OS
By all cores Ratio: 50
Internal PLL Overclock: Auto
Memory : 1333 (tested stable 24hours) (1600mhz running but not fully tested yet)
EPU Power saving: Disabled
LLC: UltraHigh
VRM frequency: Manual
VRM Mode: 350
Phase: Extreme
Duty: Tprobe
Cpu current cap. : 100
CPU Volts: Manual
CPU Voltage: 1.410
Dram voltage: 1.5
VCCSA and rest downward set to AUTO

In addition to as, above, trying Duty at Extreme, cpu cap. at 120%.. no luck either way.. but again, its a reboot without bsod, which to me is a bad sign, either of a psu issue or cpu i guess (since the board was just replaced). My cpu isnt all that old, a 1000 watt.. silverstone brand i believe.

I'm testing 1.23v and 34 multiplier now.. will see if get the same spontaneous (no bsod) reboot.

I did look in the event log.. i see event 41 kernel-power (from the last time this happened).. stating the system rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.

I also saw harddrive corruption event logs, stating to run checkdisk.. which i will soon.

I'm testing 1.23v and 34 multiplier now.. will see if get the same spontaneous (no bsod) reboot.

I did look in the event log.. i see event 41 kernel-power (from the last time this happened).. stating the system rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.

I also saw harddrive corruption event logs, stating to run checkdisk.. which i will soon.

I wasnt able to survive more than 20 minutes on anything higher than 4.6ghz so far..

I'm currently at 1hr 30 min at 4.6ghz, with the cpuv at 1.395..

I really dont understand what changed to make it unstable above 4.6ghz, when it was fine as wine at 4.8 and 5.0 before the strange motherboard issues.

You should probably step up your voltage. Remember the ceiling recommended by Intel is something around 1.52v.

I had the same problem with reboots, raising the RAM voltage helped to stop the reboots.

I had the same problem with reboots, raising the RAM voltage helped to stop the reboots.

Interesting.. what did you end up raising your ram volts to (how much over stock volts). mine is at 1.5 (stock) for 16GB. What settings did you change in the bios.. or is all you did was set the cpuv and ram volts, no changes to llc or other modes?

Again, this all worked fine before i had the odd motherboard issues, so this still bothers me that i have to make ANY changes.. i have a new cpu coming in a day or so.. and i'm also hesitant to change it, even if i get this working at higher volts, so long as the max temp is low enuf.. but the fact there was this change makes me think the cpu may have crapped out at some point, causing a change in the need for volts.

Well.. what i have done so far.. that seems to be working 12 hours strong on prime95:

I set most modes back to normal instead of extreme(to help with heat).. i left the one setting for vrm freq at 350 though and LLC at Ultra High (current cap at 100).. I left ram at 1.5 (for now).. and set cpuv to 1.43 I'm at 4.8ghz, ill be happy with 4.8 if this is where i end up, though i know i've hit 5 before fine.

I'm 12 hours deep in the prime95 blend.. with my H70 + arctic silver Matrix a max temp of 87C.. but that was at about 2 hours in or less.. since then its been between 72 and 81 max.

I still may plop this chip out and put the new one in.. i also have that tx4 tuniq thermal coming but not till monday (cpu today), i may wait till monday to mess with this.. try the new combo and see if the temps at least come down, then try lowering the volts back to where i had them before (on new cpu)

PLL overvolt enabled?

I left it at auto i believe.. i've also tried raising it to like 1.8125 or similar for PLL volts..

Are you saying try setting it to enable and then lower the cpuv and retest?

**Is there any benefit to say, raising the bclk to 103?

**is it better to try for an offset voltage setting.. not sure where to start with that one either.. ie: lets say stable at 1.43.. what would an offset one be? 1.3 +0.13?

Last edited:
I left it at auto i believe.. i've also tried raising it to like 1.8125 or similar for PLL volts..

Are you saying try setting it to enable and then lower the cpuv and retest?

**Is there any benefit to say, raising the bclk to 103?

**is it better to try for an offset voltage setting.. not sure where to start with that one either.. ie: lets say stable at 1.43.. what would an offset one be? 1.3 +0.13?

He's referring to Internal PLL Overclock which should be enabled if you're going past 4.8GHz.

Try these settings:

Code:
[SIZE="4"][FONT="Lucida Console"][U]Ai Tweaker[/U][/FONT][/SIZE]

Target CPU Turbo-Mode Speed: 5000MHz
Target DRAM Speed: 1333MHz
Ai Overclocker Tuner: Manual
BCLK/PEG Frequency: 100.0
Turbo Ratio: By Per Cores (Cannot Adjust in OS)[INDENT]1-Core Ratio Limit: 50
2-Core Ratio Limit: 50
3-Core Ratio Limit: 50
4-Core Ratio Limit: 50[/INDENT]Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled (necessary for high overclocks)
Memory Frequency: 1333
EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

[FONT="Arial Black"]DRAM Timing Control[/FONT]
[B][FONT="Times New Roman"]Primary Timings[/FONT][/B] (manually enter in the timings for your RAM)
DRAM CAS# Latency: 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 9
DRAM RAS# PRE Time: 9
DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 24
DRAM COMMAND Mode: 2
[B][FONT="Times New Roman"]
Secondary Timings[/FONT][/B] (you can leave these on Auto)
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay:
DRAM REF Cycle Time:
DRAM Refresh Interval: 
DRAM Write Recovery Time:
DRAM READ to PRE Time: 
DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time:
DRAM WRITE to READ Delay:
DRAM CKE Minimum pulse width:

[FONT="Arial Black"]CPU Power Management[/FONT]
CPU Ratio: Auto
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology: Disabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled

[B][FONT="Times New Roman"]Turbo Mode Parameters[/FONT][/B]
Primary Plane Current Limit: Auto

[FONT="Arial Black"]DIGI+ VRM[/FONT]
Load Line Calibration: Ultra High
VRM Frequency: Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350 (or 360)
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Control: Extreme
CPU Current Capability: 110% (or 120%)

CPU Voltage: Manual Mode
   CPU Manual Voltage: 1.46v
DRAM Voltage: 1.5v
VCCSA Voltage: Auto ← This doesn't need to be adjusted, leave it alone
VCCIO Voltage: Auto ← 1.1-1.15V is needed for higher RAM frequency
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto ← I would recommend leaving this on Auto.
PCH Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

[SIZE="4"][FONT="Lucida Console"][U]CPU Configuration[/U][/FONT][/SIZE]

Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enabled
Hyper-threading: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All
Limit CPUID Maximum: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology: Disabled ← enable if you need to use VM
CPU C1E: Disabled
CPU C3 Report: Disabled
CPU C6 Report: Disabled

He's referring to Internal PLL Overclock which should be enabled if you're going past 4.8GHz.

Try these settings:

Code:
[SIZE="4"][FONT="Lucida Console"][U]Ai Tweaker[/U][/FONT][/SIZE]

Target CPU Turbo-Mode Speed: 5000MHz
Target DRAM Speed: 1333MHz
Ai Overclocker Tuner: Manual
BCLK/PEG Frequency: 100.0
Turbo Ratio: By Per Cores (Cannot Adjust in OS)[INDENT]1-Core Ratio Limit: 50
2-Core Ratio Limit: 50
3-Core Ratio Limit: 50
4-Core Ratio Limit: 50[/INDENT]Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled (necessary for high overclocks)
Memory Frequency: 1333
EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

[FONT="Arial Black"]DRAM Timing Control[/FONT]
[B][FONT="Times New Roman"]Primary Timings[/FONT][/B] (manually enter in the timings for your RAM)
DRAM CAS# Latency: 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 9
DRAM RAS# PRE Time: 9
DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 24
DRAM COMMAND Mode: 2
[B][FONT="Times New Roman"]
Secondary Timings[/FONT][/B] (you can leave these on Auto)
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay:
DRAM REF Cycle Time:
DRAM Refresh Interval: 
DRAM Write Recovery Time:
DRAM READ to PRE Time: 
DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time:
DRAM WRITE to READ Delay:
DRAM CKE Minimum pulse width:

[FONT="Arial Black"]CPU Power Management[/FONT]

[B][FONT="Times New Roman"]Turbo Mode Parameters[/FONT][/B]
Primary Plane Current Limit: Auto

[FONT="Arial Black"]DIGI+ VRM[/FONT]
Load Line Calibration: Ultra High
VRM Frequency: Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350 (or 360)
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Control: Extreme
CPU Current Capability: 110% (or 120%)

CPU Voltage: Manual Mode
   CPU Manual Voltage: 1.46v
DRAM Voltage: 1.5v
VCCSA Voltage: Auto ← This doesn't need to be adjusted, leave it alone
VCCIO Voltage: Auto ← 1.1-1.15V is needed for higher RAM frequency
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto ← I would recommend leaving this on Auto.
PCH Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

[SIZE="4"][FONT="Lucida Console"][U]CPU Configuration[/U][/FONT][/SIZE]

Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Enabled
Hyper-threading: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All
Limit CPUID Maximum: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology: Disabled ← enable if you need to use VM
CPU C1E: Disabled
CPU C3 Report: Disabled
CPU C6 Report: Disabled

Ill give these a shot later..

But.. i stopped my 1.43v test 13 hours in, to try for lower volts..

I set the cpuv to 1.395, i upped dram to 1.58 and kept llc at ultra high, while setting vrm frequency to 370.

Digi+vrm phase is standard, duty is tprobe. cpu cap at 100%. 48x.

So far prime blend still rockin and rick rollin .. 1hr 37 mins in.. max temp 80C (reached at about 28 min, usually 28 min is the max).. avg temp between 75 and 80 it would appear.

I think PLL is still set to auto in bios.. i did all this via the asus utility for now.. would setting pll to enabled raise/lower/do nothing to temps?

If this holds i should probably just leave it be and be happy with 1.395? (old value was 1.3875 or so before my troubles started ) :) And maybe not swap parts for fear ill never get it back .. or should my temps and volts be able to come down in general though? I have the Arctic Silver Matrix Thixotropic Premium Thermal Compound-2.5G MTX-2.5G with tuniq tx4 coming..

Last edited:
VDDQ Processor I/O supply voltage for DDR3 minimum 1.425V typical 1.5V maximum 1.575V

not sure what that means

I seem to have stabilized magically.. at least volts wise.. at 4.8ghz..

1.385 success on prime95 for 16+ hours..

Had failure after 2 hours with 1.365..

Its odd because when i first reseated this original cpu (that hit 5.0 and 4.8 easy first time around).. i coulddnt stop crashing even at this level.. i think its my combo of settings.

I'm trying for 1.375 right now.. but 1.385 will probably be where i end up with this original cpu anyway, which is right where i was in the beginning.

Max temps still maybe 10C higher than normal with the h70.. at about 82C over those 16 hours.. so i'm either going to use the tuniq tx4 on this original cpu and try again.. or.. i will replace with the new cpu with the tx4 and see how the temps are.. monday night.

Back