I7 10700k or not?

Steeley11

n00b
Hello All,
I'm currently rocking an r7 2700x on an asrock x470 taichi (that I'm not crazy about, nvme drives disappear sometimes and also usb issues)with a 5700xt and was looking to upgrade to zen3 5800x, but I think the availability and pricing is ridiculous. I can get the 10700k for $290-330 and a decent z490 board for $170, (gigabyte z490 aorus elite ac) seems like a better deal for similar performance for 1440 p gaming and light editing work. I'm not a fanboy either way but have to go bang for your buck, just wondering what everybody thinks about this as it seems things have flip-flopped. Will I be satisfied or will I regret? I appreciate any advice on this proposition.

You can find a 10700k sub 300? Lucky duck. The best I found was 310ish.

The general comparison sites would lend towards the 10700k being an above par performance than the 2700x. Sounds like you'll be getting a bigger 'wow' factor with board stability.

I had the same issue 2 weeks ago when I bought a 3090 that wont function in my current PC.
With no chance getting an AMD 5xxx series chip I got a 10700K.
I'm very happy with it, a great gaming CPU with enough oomph to make almost anything a breeze.
Be sure you have a decent cooler otherwise it will throttle, I have an ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 lined up, its amazing.

Less than 300 is very good for the K chip, snap it up quick!

Happy with mine. Gaming wise, it's a perfectly good CPU, and priced pretty well for what you get. Not going to notice a ton of difference at 1440P over Ryzen, and if you're just gaming/light work, it'll do totally fine. Workstation I'd wait for Ryzen, but if not, meh. Grab intel.

Hmm. if you're looking at the 10700k.. why not just grab the 5600x? They are pretty close, easier to find than a 5800x (although 5800x is one i've seen quite a few able to grab with 5900 and 5950 still practically vaporware) and you don't need to build an entire new system unless you really wanted to just get rid of the MB? Should be decent board, kind of surprised to hear of issues. Are you on the latest bios with the latest AMD chipset drivers installed? The 5600x is faster in both single and multi vs the 2700x and is only 65w instead of 105w. Again, if the only reason is to get away from the taichi then it's not a huge difference in price anymore if you plan to get a new MB as well. It's kind of hard times right now buying stuff though, you probably won't be disappointed if you end up nabbing a 10700 or 10700k.

Hmm. if you're looking at the 10700k.. why not just grab the 5600x? They are pretty close, easier to find than a 5800x (although 5800x is one i've seen quite a few able to grab with 5900 and 5950 still practically vaporware) and you don't need to build an entire new system unless you really wanted to just get rid of the MB? Should be decent board, kind of surprised to hear of issues. Are you on the latest bios with the latest AMD chipset drivers installed? The 5600x is faster in both single and multi vs the 2700x and is only 65w instead of 105w. Again, if the only reason is to get away from the taichi then it's not a huge difference in price anymore if you plan to get a new MB as well. It's kind of hard times right now buying stuff though, you probably won't be disappointed if you end up nabbing a 10700 or 10700k.
I ended up pulling the trigger on a combo deal I found, I got an i7-10700kf( I don't care about the onboard video) paired with the msi meg z490 unify (a supposedly good board )for $525 after I used a promo code. The 2700x and x470 Taichi will go to my teenager and her rig will go on ebay. I really wanted the 5800x but not for $450 just for the cpu, when it finally becomes available. And I want 8 cores and 16 threads, not 6/12. In most of the benchmarks I looked at the 10700k is pretty close for a lot less $. I'll see how I like it and also see what rocket lake brings in the spring. For the price I couldn't pass it up. I had the latest bios for the 2700x and chipset drivers but the board would just do some really strange stuff like nvme drives disappearing and wonky usb behavior at times, I could never put my finger on it, but a clear cmos and reboot would usually fix the issues,but a couple times I had to reinstall windows. Also, after doing a bios update I had half of the old bios and half of the new bios at the same time! That was an interesting fix, had to go back to the beginning with ami bios software. I never had issues like that with intel or asus or msi before, only amd/asrock. Time will tell. I'm actually looking forward to some old school cpu and memory overclocking. You can't really mess with ryzen it's better left alone. Things sure have changed lately, and I always go for bang for your buck, so it's back to intel. Sure didn't see this coming, but it is what it is.

Can't help but grin when I think Intel is the budget build of choice now. Perhaps they'll get off their asses and do something about it soon.

You ... cant ... get ... one.
And its a hex core, does it compare well to the 8 core 10700K?
Yes, the 6 core compares pretty well to the 8 core, but was just an idea as the seemed a bit easier to come upon. OP already pulled the trigger on a 10700k which I have no doubts will be a very noticeable upgrade from a 2700x, especially since I single thread loads.

For that price, get the 10700k. If you can find a non-k for even cheaper, don't count that out as it boost rather high on Z-490.

For that price, get the 10700k. If you can find a non-k for even cheaper, don't count that out as it boost rather high on Z-490.

Exactly. Mine boosted to 4.8Ghz all core with a BCLK adjustment and I unlocked the turbo limits. Saved myself $70 over the K version at the time.

Of course, at $290-310, I probably would have just picked up the K, but they were $400+ at the time I bought the non-k.

you can tweak the turbo on the non Z boards, as well.

Z boards have other advantages though like memory overclocking past 2666/2933 depending on the processor. I mean unless you are straining for every last budget dollar, it makes sense to get a lower end Z board over a higher end B460 board IMO.

I did some comparisons of the 10700K and 5800X. I discovered that they were pretty close in most benchmarks and real-world use scenarios. I was going to buy another Strix-E or the new Dark Hero 570X motherboard, and a Ryzen 3000 series CPU. I intended to wait until late Spring for a Ryzen 5800X. I just could not find any really good deals for the AMD parts. I got so much better deals last year on the same parts. I looked at the 10700K for about $350 with promo code and noticed some nice combo deals. I ended-up purchasing a 10700K and Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero WiFi for $620.

Wow, after looking around, I'm glad I got what I did when I did because it looks like a lot of cpus are sold out everywhere or the prices are too inflated. I've even seen the r7 2700x selling for what I paid for mine two years ago!

I did some comparisons of the 10700K and 5800X. I discovered that they were pretty close in most benchmarks and real-world use scenarios. I was going to buy another Strix-E or the new Dark Hero 570X motherboard, and a Ryzen 3000 series CPU. I intended to wait until late Spring for a Ryzen 5800X. I just could not find any really good deals for the AMD parts. I got so much better deals last year on the same parts. I looked at the 10700K for about $350 with promo code and noticed some nice combo deals. I ended-up purchasing a 10700K and Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero WiFi for $620.

I sell a ton of those i7's to people who don't actually need to wait. I work in a place that's like Fry's and I do custom builds.

I recently had time to put my i7-10700kf and MSI Z-490 unify together for some benches and stress testing. It just works, no need for bios updates, just put together, load latest drivers and go. Does it use more electricity? Yes. Does it run a little hotter than amd? Yes it does, but I do not care, because the performance is there when I want it for whatever I'm doing, and I'm getting a lot more fps with the i7 than the 2700x with the same 5700xt. For $525 for the board and cpu I'm very pleased with both. And I can use them right now. I never thought I'd go back to Intel, but I did and I'm glad I did.

Back