I7 10700 build

techronin

Weaksauce
Do I need the “k” unlocked version if I don’t plan on overclocking anything? It’s about $50 more.

intel-core-i7-10700k-10th-generation-8-core-16-thread-3-8-ghz-5-1-ghz-turbo-socket-lga1200-unlocked-desktop-processor

Vs

intel-core-i7-10700-10th-generation-8-core-16-thread-2-9-ghz-4-8-ghz-turbo-socket-lga1200-locked-desktop

Also could you recommend a good mATX mobo (msi if possible) and memory?

Isn't Rocket Lake coming out March 15? On the other hand, I did read Intel were discounting Comet Lake CPUs to better compete with AMD. (That sounds a bit odd when AMD CPUs are not available...)
EDIT: The biggest brands in RAM I think are: G.Skill, Corsair, Team Group, Crucial, Kingston (I usually like Kingston HyperX RAM).

Thanks for the answers. I’m leaning toward the MSI MPG Z490M GAMING EDGE WIFI. Is Z490 the chipset to go with?

If you don't overclock the CPU, you can get a B560 mobo for less money, and those allow unlocked memory frequency (and presumably also unlocked power limits).

Non K CPUs still overclock. No such thing as “locked” unless you believe those telling you that.

My old i7 S went from 3.6 to 4GHz with no sweat.
Never needed more than 4GHz but it’s been running 24/7/365 for 6 years.

I wanted a 10th gen CPU too but the temps are just too high for a 1U.

Grabbing me some W 1250P Xeons until these chipmakers bring down temps and watts.

Last edited:
Back