i5 8600K issues, questions, and request for recommendations

AngeloBJ

Weaksauce
Issues:

I have an 8600K that I picked up this past summer. It ran stock until about a month ago when I decided to try to get an OC out of it. I started with a Mugen 5 Rev. B cooler. I was able to get it up to 5ghz before hitting hitting 80c but I had to push 1.135v to it. But at that speed I couldn't hold temps air cooling.

I picked up an AIO. And temps are much better. But with that voltage...for every day use...I dialed it back down to 4.6ghz at 1.127v

Questions:
The voltage to speed ratio I'm seeing seem really to me compared to what I've seen others reach on this chip. Did I just lose the silicon lottery or am I playing it a little too save with the power?

Recommendations:
I'm building a new system for (purely for gaming) and decided to keep this processor until I either fry it or get pissed at my overclocking results enough to pick up another one. Given the delta in performance between the 9700k and 9800k vs the price difference between the 8600k and 9600k (almost 0...the 9th gen is even cheaper in some places) I'm torn between
  • Just being happy with my 4.6ghz until the next upgrade
  • Picking up a 9600k and trying to get some better result
What SHOULD I expect to get out of the 8600k? Are my Voltages way too high? There's seems to be a lot of discrepancy, at least in my research, online as to what OC'ers think the upper limit of the chip should be for everyday use. I was hoping to get some direction here.

your voltages are way too low if you ask me, return to 1.135 and you are still are way more than safe.. you should start to care about going over 1.35 and worry about 1.40 for 24.7 operation.. you should be fine.

I'm sorry. I went back a
your voltages are way too low if you ask me, return to 1.135 and you are still are way more than safe.. you should start to care about going over 1.35 and worry about 1.40 for 24.7 operation.. you should be fine.

I'm sorry I went back and looked at my notes and I actually was at. 1.37v.
But...

I switched to an Asus Z390 Prime board and started over. I'm Currently at 4.8 on 1.22v. I'm hitting max temps now so it seems like I don't have a terribly shitty chip after all!

Back