i5-760@4ghz go 2700k now or wait for ivy?

XdVeLoPeX

Gawd
What would you do? have 500$ to spend on the mobo/cpu runnin a gtx 570 first gen i5@4ghz

I'm with the above poster.

Unless you have lots of money to burn or would like to be on the bleeding edge, upgrading from an OCed 1156/1366 won't make much sense at this point. Maybe you could OC some more?

That's not to say that there's no improvement to be had from upgrading - there is. It's just that from a monetary standpoint, I think I have non-PC related 'wants' I'd rather spend on.

Maybe try checking how much you would get from selling i5 750?

If it's minimum cost upgrade then go for it.

You might be able to resell the i5-750 for around $120, and buy the i5-2500k at Microcenter for $149.99. But I don't think any improve on performance, may be the most is 10%.

If the machine doesn't directly make you money (with cpu cycles) and you aren't pre-Core-i series then I say wait for Ivy. I usually buy when the performance is greater than double (I do a lot of 3d rendering).

Wait for Haswell. By then you should be able to get a 6-core at a decent price.

You might be able to resell the i5-750 for around $120, and buy the i5-2500k at Microcenter for $149.99. But I don't think any improve on performance, may be the most is 10%.

It's hard to find I5-750's at anything lower than $150 on eGay... People want them... Microcenter actually sells out 750's quicker than 2500k's (in my neck of the woods anyways)... If you have the money, and want to spend it, a new mobo/2500k isn't a bad way to go... One thing you can expect is an easy OC to 4~4.5GHz out of the 2500k. 750's are a beeeeeaaaaaatch to get close to or even past 4Ghz....:eek: And like I said, you'll have NO problems selling the 750 for $150 or more.

If the machine doesn't directly make you money (with cpu cycles) and you aren't pre-Core-i series then I say wait for Ivy.

IB is expected to be only a small performance difference from SB though. Maybe 5% better performance per clock (excluding gpu gains)

Just considering performance, I would say that neither SB nor IB are worth it. But others have already brought up good points. Resale value being one. I upgraded from a Q9550 but I got $180 for my used cpu (which is what I paid for it about 18 months before).

One other thing is that some people just like to tinker with computer stuff. Assembling new computers is fun for some people.

IB should bring about some insane overclock-ability though. With the 22nm process, the power envelope will also be much better (lower) than SB, or SB-E... As long as they have "k" models, we're all good...

IB should bring about some insane overclock-ability though.

That is something to consider. I definitely am not going to buy on launch. But after a few weeks of seeing users reviews/overclocks and depending on what kind of deals Microcenter will offer I just might switch out.

You can go for Sandy right now on LGA 1155, and then simply upgrade to an Ivy CPU when they release.

I'm sure any 2500k, 2600k, or 2700k will be an easy sell on the used market.

I'm holding on to my 2600k for at least anoter 2 years, and then I'll just grab an Ivy to slap on my P67 Evo. Even though, any current SB chip will certainly last for AGES for gaming purposes.

There's already a BIOS update for 22nm CPUs, at least for ASUS mobos.

The change from the 1st generation Intel® Core™ processors to the 2nd generation Intel Core processors yeilded 10% to 15% performance improvement at the same clock speed. With the ability to overclock the Intel Core i7-2600K very easy and reach speeds of well over 4GHz I dont question that you would have a fairly big step up in overall performance by buying a new Intel Core i7-2600K or Intel Core i5-2500K.

sorry to take over the thread but trying to see if there is a difference between a i7 920 running at 4.2 vs. a i2600k running at 5.0ghz+. Trying to see if the an extra $400 for mobo + cpu is worth the upgrade or just wait for x79 socket 2011 for BF3. If anyone has any bench marks with these two chips being overclocked that would be great :)

sorry to take over the thread but trying to see if there is a difference between a i7 920 running at 4.2 vs. a i2600k running at 5.0ghz+. Trying to see if the an extra $400 for mobo + cpu is worth the upgrade or just wait for x79 socket 2011 for BF3. If anyone has any bench marks with these two chips being overclocked that would be great :)

I don't think that you'll see a big difference if BF3 is really what you're looking at. I have an i7 920 at 4GHz and honestly, it's still really really fast. I don't plan on upgrading until Haswell. For BF3 your video card would probably be much more important.

If I were doing a lot of encoding or very CPU intensive tasks, maybe I'd consider it, but the $400 could probably be better spent on a graphics card, if you MUST spend that much.

already have a gtx 580 and i only play on 1024x768. I'm just wanting to mainly know if I get 140-200 fps in the beta how much more would i get with a i2600k at 5.0ghz+.

already have a gtx 580 and i only play on 1024x768. I'm just wanting to mainly know if I get 140-200 fps in the beta how much more would i get with a i2600k at 5.0ghz+.

I almost want to buy you a monitor, since you apparently don't realize that display technology has advanced quite a bit in the last 20 years.

Almost.

I almost want to buy you a monitor, since you apparently don't realize that display technology has advanced quite a bit in the last 20 years.

Almost.

Are we getting trolled or what? I can't tell. :rolleyes:

in my opinion anyone who upgraded from the first quad core series is kind of foolish because it don't do anything I can't do :|

after more and more reading im probably skipping this and buying on november 14th the new SB-E

the socket 2011 - Core i7-3820 since the K varients are 600/1000$ this one is only 300$ or would it be better to wait and get ivy on 1155 im happy with my system but its gonna be christmas time soon and u know what that means lol

Us pro gamers don't play at 16:9 resolutions or at anything higher than 1024x768.
You can feel free to poke some fun after you are standing on the top of the podium at World Championship LAN events.

i built a new sb rig with a [email protected] to replace my i5 750@4ghz. in gaming, the difference was negligible with a single 580. it's nice having the "latest and greatest" though...albeit for a couple more months.

If you are capable of waiting till next summer then you don't really need to buy anything now, therefore don't waste money.

i have money to spend on upgrades the problem mainly is that i know im not going to be able to max out upcoming games with my gtx 570 my evga is overclocked to 875/2000 and gets a 2k+ Xtereme 3dmark11 score BUT its not enough.. my motherboard does not support sli nor have i been a fan of it ever but realizing the upgrade potentional my next mobo purchase will be capable of it.. so my options..

A: wait till mid november upgrade mobo to sli capable/cpu to SB-E socket 2011
B: sell the gtx 570 buy a 590?? buy another 570 sli @ oc the shit outta them..
C: wait till nvidia gtx 6 series comes out and hope its not a refresh?
D: deal wth it dont spend any money wonder why I didnt just upgrade..

when? i heard april-q3 next year thats a long ass time of waiting when i can jus upgrade now and sell of then uprade again lol its a constant cyce

i have money to spend on upgrades the problem mainly is that i know im not going to be able to max out upcoming games with my gtx 570 my evga is overclocked to 875/2000 and gets a 2k+ Xtereme 3dmark11 score BUT its not enough.. my motherboard does not support sli nor have i been a fan of it ever but realizing the upgrade potentional my next mobo purchase will be capable of it.. so my options..

A: wait till mid november upgrade mobo to sli capable/cpu to SB-E socket 2011
B: sell the gtx 570 buy a 590?? buy another 570 sli @ oc the shit outta them..
C: wait till nvidia gtx 6 series comes out and hope its not a refresh?
D: deal wth it dont spend any money wonder why I didnt just upgrade..

There is more than 3dmark though. Is the 570 affecting your gaming? What resolution are you at?

I wouldn't upgrade at all with your specs till ivy, bare minimum, maybe even Haswell, unless you can get good resale value on your stuff, then go for it.. what the heck. Computing is as much a hobby and source of enjoyment and wasting a little time and money on a new rig is time and money well spent!

Socket 2011 is quite compelling being so close to release, I'd probably just go with that but the processor selection is limited to models starting at 600 dollars.

what do you mean 600$? on wikipedia they show that the 3820 is not a 6 core but only a quad core and supports socket 2011 the 2700k will be 1155... my friend who has a old pc wants to buy mine for 1000$ so in reality the upgrade it free..my max resolution is 1920x1080 and in the bf3 beta 'ultra'' settings were disabled and i was dropped as low as 25 FPS maxed out settings that is unaceptable and i rather not turn down graphical options when i can turn up my pc performance lol...

this again leads to my main problem... i need more video card proccessing power BUT MY MOTHERBOARD does NOT SUPPORT SLi... so if i was to say wait untl next generation gpu's come out im FORCED to buy the MOST EXPENSIVE SINGLE gpu solution instead of two of the mid-range cards in sli that would be cheaper and outperform the single card.. i could buy a gtx 590 which would be a waste of 750$ as it's WORSE then two 570 sli ii dont know yet i was gonna buy bulldozer but its crap then i thought 2700k b ut thats super stupid as a new socket is coming out next month.. if i was to buy the x79 chipset socket 2011 amd processor i could sell it next year and upgrade to ivy bridge or are they completely different sockets?

Yes there should be s2011 Ivy Bridge
No it won't come out at the same time as s1155 version.

this again leads to my main problem... i need more video card proccessing power BUT MY MOTHERBOARD does NOT SUPPORT SLi... so if i was to say wait untl next generation gpu's come out im FORCED to buy the MOST EXPENSIVE SINGLE gpu solution instead of two of the mid-range cards in sli that would be cheaper and outperform the single card.

Why not buy a SLi capable motherboard and two mid range cards then sell your current motherboard? Or just sell your computer if you think that is a good idea and start another with a SLi capable MB.

thats why im posting up here im not sure whats going on with nvidias new line up ive never really messed with Ati always been an nVidia fan same with intel i used to praise amd YEARS ago when i was jit and didnt know crap and it was all I could afford been overcocking intel forever so basiclly the only UPGRADES to my gtx570 would be adding another one as buying a 590 will be stupid as hell aswell as upgrading to 580s cause runnng this 570 @ 875-900/[email protected] is pretty decent but i sure as hell cant play metro2033 (getting ready for its sequel,bf3,mw3,saints3,hell of alotta new games) with mxaa or wutever it is some options raped my rig even hella overclocked yea i COULD lower my settings or res but i COULD ALSO try to better my equipment/setup dont care how i do it i want more!

what to do what to do money is not an issue (except im bnag for buck type rather buy something similar slowre and oc it) and im not stupid not buying something thats going to be replaced soon or for benchmark purposes i want real dfferences not 30-45fps in bf3 60+ at all times..

oh and to the post i cant just do that ... the dude wants to give me 1000$ for my pc as it is with EVERYTHing but if he doesnt buy it and i do buy a sli motherboard it wont fit in my case the case is to small so i would have to take it all apart buy new cfans case a bunch of shit for the same hardware no fun in that! lol ive already had my fix with this and the overclocking days of t are over its stable @ 4

so what should i do.. he offered me 100$ iget to kekep 1 tb hd, sound card, power supply so the first 1000$ of my budjet is from the value of my current system i have extra money to throw in aswell.. what would you all do with the 1000$ no amd or ati that is better then a single 570 and this first gen i5!??!

Back