I5-750 Overclocking problem. Can't get a stable small overclock

Handy999

n00b
I was running my I-5 setup for 8 months using the XMP Profile , and all power features on (160 Bus, mem at 1600).

Was very stable except for a rare (every few weeks) power reboot. This got annoying so I RMA'd the board.

Same problem with the new board. This is what's really strange, neither boards OC Genie would work with my chip. It hung on the third reboot, as was only at some lame 140 something bus speed and +.2 something extra CPU voltage (red zone according to the bios)

So there's some oddness with either the ram or the PS, BUT the rig is perfectly stable at stock 133.

My manual overclocking is also quite stable when benched with Prime 95 or any other stress test. Where I am having problems, is during low usage where the cpu comes out of Idle. This was the same condition where the original boards XMP Profile overclock would reboot on me.

For instance, I just tried a very modest manual OC of 140, where I bumped the cpu voltage a tad (+.037) and memory to 1.55. QPI down to 16.

I left Speedstep and EIST , C1E on. Even this lame overclock resulted in a screen lockup when the box was at low usage. Prime passed with no issues. This should not be happening.

The best I could get on a manual OC with speedstep off and the chip set to +.15v was 170, nothing like the 200 routinely achieved by others.

Sorry for the long post, but what could be the weak link here? Some folks have suggested a Vdroop issue, but theres no way to fool with that on this board.

Any ideas as to why I'm not able to get any stable overclock at all with or without speedstep enabled?

PS Is there any chance its the Video card, Video Adapter MSI N250GTS , factory overclocked, that's locking up? I run two monitors, and a bug in this and many cards runs it at 3D speeds all the time. Could a faster bus speed be a problem here? I wouldn't think so, but ya never know.

It's hard to pin it down without having other parts to swap in. Do you have another motherboard, PSU or RAM you could use just to identify the problem?

Silly question, but have you tried to see if it has the same problem at stock speed and settings? It sounds like it could also be a BIOS bug. What's the motherboard?

Back