I5 750 Lynnfield overclock question about QPI speed

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
Friend of mine asked me to come put an overclock on said chip. After doing a bit of reading I think I have most of the important things figured out. Have him running stable @ 21 x 175 (3675mhz).

As I understand it this puts his QPI link speed @ 175 x whatever multiplier in the bios. His bios allows for 32x and 36x. Factory is 4800 (133x36) .... I couldn't find any solid information on how far is acceptable to push it, so with only the 32x multi available that puts him at a QPI of 5600.

Does a higher than factory QPI link speed have any adverse effects on the system? Its not tied into anything like the PCI bus or something similar that could cause problems? I'd like to push his overclock farther but i seem to be missing that part of the puzzle before I continue.

Thanks!

Think of the QPI as the FSB on the old 775 system,increasing it gives you better bandwidth and benchmark result but also gives you higher instability.

Best way would be trying to hold the QPI speed below 7000MHz.

Perfect. Not sure why I was having such a hard time finding that information. Thank you.

Back