i5-6600K + Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - $269.99 @ B&H

Eymar

Limp Gawd
Budget board with no SLI, only 1x USB 3.1
Deal is over.
link
Hmm maybe back.(Edit: Price now shows $320):
This link shows as CPU and Mobo as a kit as original link had mobo as free gift:
new link.

Last edited:
Seems like a decent deal?

Also looks like the board includes at least 1x usb 3.1 port:

1 x USB Type-C port (with USB 3.1 support), 1 x USB 3.1 port, 7 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports (3 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers), 6 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)

newegg link for comparison. Some users comment about needing a bios flash for stability, but then again looks like some of 'em ain't doing fresh OS installs.

Ah thanks updated, was going off a review of HD3 model (combo comes with HD3P).

None the less a Z170 chipset, made by Gigabyte.. that's a good deal if looking for a quality mid range board

:eek:This is so tempting. But the $100 in savings would be spent on Win10, since I'm still running Vista. Unless a disc install of Vista SP1 would work on it. :eek:

:eek:This is so tempting. But the $100 in savings would be spent on Win10, since I'm still running Vista. Unless a disc install of Vista SP1 would work on it. :eek:

Vista? Ouch. I would say buy a win 7 pro key from the forums for cheap and then go to win 10 if that's the route you want to go (you can use win 7 pro keys for windows 10 upgrades).

I may just ditch the 4790K for this... Tempting.

Vista? Ouch. I would say buy a win 7 pro key from the forums for cheap and then go to win 10 if that's the route you want to go (you can use win 7 pro keys for windows 10 upgrades).

Ouch I know.. hehe.. I've had this discussion a couple of times already, but now I heard Microsoft took down the Win 7 iso and it's getting harder to find. Combine that with hearing of some people having having trouble getting their usb flash drive to even work to install... Ugh.

Makes me frustrated.

Ouch I know.. hehe.. I've had this discussion a couple of times already, but now I heard Microsoft took down the Win 7 iso and it's getting harder to find. Combine that with hearing of some people having having trouble getting their usb flash drive to even work to install... Ugh.

Makes me frustrated.

Yeah it was a very difficult process installing windows 7 on my buddies 6600k/z170-UDH5 build. I believe with the latest installer for win 10 you can directly put in your win 7 pro product key though (without having to do the "upgrade" process).

Yeah it was a very difficult process installing windows 7 on my buddies 6600k/z170-UDH5 build. I believe with the latest installer for win 10 you can directly put in your win 7 pro product key though (without having to do the "upgrade" process).

Hmm!!! If this is true (research time), I think I'll be making a purchase!

Thanks Eymar, Thanks Custom! Thanks [H]Forum! :D

For what reason? I'm still rocking an i5 2500k and the performance improvements aren't really enough to justify the upgrade IMO.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K (they favor your 4790k over the 6600k)

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K (they favor the 6600k over my 2500k but still not worth it to me for a marginal increase in performance)

Skylake seems to be more worth it from a chipset improvement standpoint than anything else. For the most part, CPUs have provided only marginal improvements for the past several generations.

There's nothing at all wrong with my 2600K, but the Z170 chipset does offer several nice improvements.

Skylake seems to be more worth it from a chipset improvement standpoint than anything else. For the most part, CPUs have provided only marginal improvements for the past several generations.

There's nothing at all wrong with my 2600K, but the Z170 chipset does offer several nice improvements.

I wouldn't mind DDR4 and the x4 m.2 slot. My 950 Pro is running at half speeds and a pci expansion slot to m.2 x4 isn't an option for me. If I were to buy a new motherboard for x4 it'd definitely be the newer chipset. I just don't see a point in getting another Z97 motherboard at this time.

That would be pretty stupid.

Ehh, I previously had a 4670k and bought the 4790k because my friend gave it to me for a ridiculously low price. Don't find myself needing hyper threading either. So nahh...

Ehh, I previously had a 4670k and bought the 4790k because my friend gave it to me for a ridiculously low price. Don't find myself needing hyper threading either. So nahh...
Then you obviously dont play Crysis 3 or Watch Dogs among a few others. A 6600k will actually be a downgrade in some cases. Why even bother with a whole new cpu/mobo/ram setup if its not an upgrade across the board? Keep the 4790k and wait until there is a deal on something that is an actual upgrade.

Then you obviously dont play Crysis 3 or Watch Dogs among a few others. A 6600k will actually be a downgrade in some cases. Why even bother with a whole new cpu/mobo/ram setup if its not an upgrade across the board? Keep the 4790k and wait until there is a deal on something that is an actual upgrade.

I would be "upgrading" everything but the CPU in which again I have stated that I don't need HT.

I agree with you that I don't play Crysis 3 and Watch Dogs, because I don't.. Is there something bothering you? :confused:

Back