I5 6500 works @ 798 Mhz on H170 GAMING M3

speedydust

n00b
Intel i5 6500 Skylake @3.2Ghz in Win10x64 often works on 798Mhz. I need help how to solve this problem. My pc components are motherboard MSI H170 GAMING M3, Corsair HX750W, Corsair 2x8GB, DDR4 2133MHz., 400 GB Hitachi SATA-II 3.0Gb/s, Creative Labs Audigy 4 PCI.

modern CPUs tend to lower their clock speed when not much is going on. what sort of load is the system under when you're seeing the low speed reported and what tools are reporting it? does the speed go up when the system is loaded?

I use my web browser and CPU-Z and i see it is at 3.2Ghz and when it drops to 798Mhz it stays at this low speed.

It's normal to reduce clocks when not being stressed. What is the CPU load % and temperature?
Also when you says "stays" do you mean even if you start using apps, etc it never clocks back up?

Basically to have it not downclock you'd have to disable the Intel SpeedStep stuff in the BIOS. I don't know why you would want to, though...running cooler and quieter when not being taxed seems ideal.

It stays @798Mhz even when i start my apps or web browser. Here are 2 screenshots.
Cpu-z798Mhz.jpg
Memorylow.jpg

Try watching and firing up a benchmark or stress test and watch it. I'm not sure how quickly cpu-z can update to see if it jumps up and back down quickly. If it never comes up I'm thinking their may be an issue in the power plan some how keeping it from ramping up like it's supposed to.

Does your motherboard have a "slow" switch? My MSI Z170 Gaming M5 had a switch that slowed the clock speed to 800Mhz. It seems they target this to LN2 overclocking.

1596810358328.png

Edit: Yes, your board does! $10 says you flipped this on accident. I did it once.

1596810727300.png

Last edited:
NobleX13 Yes i have that switch on motherboard its on Normal (default) all the time. I tried today to switch it to enable and nothing happened.

You need to disable speed step and c states in bios if you want to force full speed all the time. But would not recommend. Run something like prime95 and see if you get full speed under full load

You can also look at min process precetanage In the windows power plan and try setting this to 100

Back