i5 4690k to i5 6400 sidegrade for htpc?

pentiumiiislota

Limp Gawd
Hello would changing from a i5 4690k to a i5 6400 be a sidegrade? Most of what im reading is the cpus are about the same speed at stock clocks but the 6400 uses less power. Is this information correct?

Thanks

Pretty much a sidegrade, yes. If you're running an unlocked i5-4690K at stock speeds you're losing out on 15-20% potential performance.

Thanks.
The pc is mainly used as a plex server on a battery back up so i didn't want extra power draw by overclocking.

Thanks.
The pc is mainly used as a plex server on a battery back up so i didn't want extra power draw by overclocking.

You could keep your current motherboard and get a low 45W "T" processor and some DDR3L desktop RAM. Save yourself a bit of money and performance wise shouldn't matter much in a plex server.

Has better iGPU, if that matters. Better decode/encode performance/features.

You could keep your current motherboard and get a low 45W "T" processor and some DDR3L desktop RAM. Save yourself a bit of money and performance wise shouldn't matter much in a plex server.

I was thinking about that, but i picked up the i5 6400 computer without hard drives for $20. So i was hoping too sell one of the two computers and buy a new monitor.

Thanks, im using a ati 5450 silent and hadn't thought about igpu. Is it worth using the igpu over a cheap gpu like a 5450?

Uh... in most cases, no. But, let's say it's a Plex server. You might get better HW transcode support with the Intel iGPU (again, if that matters).

Let me add (for those think Plex server), use either Intel iGPU or a discrete Nvidia, but see this for what is supported with Nvidia: https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

Edit: One more thing, there are Linux hacks (if you use Linux as your base) for overcoming the 2 session limit on cheap cards like the 1050).

Uh... in most cases, no. But, let's say it's a Plex server. You might get better HW transcode support with the Intel iGPU (again, if that matters).

Let me add (for those think Plex server), use either Intel iGPU or a discrete Nvidia, but see this for what is supported with Nvidia: https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

Edit: One more thing, there are Linux hacks (if you use Linux as your base) for overcoming the 2 session limit on cheap cards like the 1050).

One caveat, you only get the hardware supported encoding if you pay the Plex Pass monthly fee.

The following are required in general for Hardware-Accelerated Streaming, regardless of your operating system:

• A recent Intel CPU meeting these requirements:
    • 2nd-generation Intel Core (Sandy Bridge, 2011) or newer (we recommend 5th-gen Broadwell or newer for the best experience; Sandy Bridge, in particular, is known to sometimes have poor visual output on some systems)
    • Supports Intel Quick Sync Video
  • Plex Media Server 1.9.3 or later
  • An active Plex Pass subscription

The non K version of this CPU is not that powerful. Your better off OCing the 4690k my friend or else your wasting time.

Not interested in a powerful cpu. Mainly interested in a lower power computer for playing movies, emulation stuff.

The i5 4690k is rated at roughly 85 watts vs the i5 6400 at 65 watts max. My gaming rig sucks enough power so it would be nice to save a little and not have two spaceheaters lol

Back