i5-4690K or Skylake equivalent for OC Gaming Build?

BeMurda

n00b
Hey guys,

I will definitely be waiting until next week to see the GPU announcement, but I have been debating heavily whether to wait for Skylake or not when it comes to building a new gaming desktop. Not sure whether it will be worth the extra cost for gaming, which is the main use.

I currently only have a Macbook Air, nothing that can game well - so it's not a case of having a good desktop already and deciding which generation of chipset to jump on. Additionally, I have already purchased a case, power supply, 850 EVO, 500gb SSD, G.Skill 8GB 1833mhz CL8 DDR3 ram, and CM Hyper 212 Evo Cooler. If I get the i5-4690k I plan to overclock it but I don't care about extreme overclocking, just about maximum stable overclock on air cooling in my home.

Should I expect much improvement from Skylake compared to the OC'ed i5-4690k? Will the new platform be that relevant of a change? Thanks for the advice.

I think 4690k should last you a while for gaming.
Even the 2500k, which was released 4 years ago, is still more than adequate for gaming.

Wait for skylake and go straight with a 4c/8t... at this point of the market is worthless to buy a i5.. as more and more games are starting to see benefit of the extra threads and cores... actually the best gaming chip in the market its the i7 4790K. we have high hopes to see same levels with the i7 6700K which its going to be released ago/sep this year..

Wait for skylake and go straight with a 4c/8t... at this point of the market is worthless to buy a i5.. as more and more games are starting to see benefit of the extra threads and cores... actually the best gaming chip in the market its the i7 4790K. we have high hopes to see same levels with the i7 6700K which its going to be released ago/sep this year..

5960k doesn't do better in games? It's overpriced but thought it is still better

5960k doesn't do better in games? It's overpriced but thought it is still better

In today's games. We still don't know how well multi threaded processing will work with DX12 titles. (Kinda defeated my point there. Hahaha.)

But yeah the additional cores are supposed to be beneficial not too long from now.

Just wait for Skylake then buy someones Haswell i5/i7 cheap once the Skylake early adopters flood in.

Since I had no desktop whatsoever I did not wait. I bought and assembled an i5-4690k rig.

And... two days later my parents who are moving mentioned they don't really need an old business desktop of theirs anymore...

I click properties on My Computer and what do I find? An i7-2600k and 8gb of ram on an Asus P8h67m Pro.

I am kicking myself right now, lol. IF I can take that for free, what would you guys do? Sell it? Or sell my new Z97-A i5-4690k rig? Sigh.

Since I had no desktop whatsoever I did not wait. I bought and assembled an i5-4690k rig.

And... two days later my parents who are moving mentioned they don't really need an old business desktop of theirs anymore...

I click properties on My Computer and what do I find? An i7-2600k and 8gb of ram on an Asus P8h67m Pro.

I am kicking myself right now, lol. IF I can take that for free, what would you guys do? Sell it? Or sell my new Z97-A i5-4690k rig? Sigh.

lmao i think for the long term the 2600k might better better due to the more threads argument. However to take proper advantage of it youd have to buy a board you can overclock with. Its probably just less hassle for you overall to just sell their dell desktop. It will probably sell for quite a bit.

I need a 1155 motherboard for a 2600 non-k...I might be interested if you sell that board ;).

Back