i5 4670K OC @ 4.5GHz reaching 92C max temp during 15min RealBench stress test

Is this a stable overclock "temperature-wise" for long term usage?

• Total voters

jasonklor

n00b
This is my very first overclock. I was able to reach an overclock of 4.5GHz on my 4670K at a core voltage 1.25V. Min CPU Cache is set to 38 and max CPU cache was set to 42. CPU cache voltage override is 1.2V and initial CPU input voltage is set to 1.9V. During the RealBench benchmark, I scored a 100525 and my core temps were: #1-82C, #2-80C, #3-80C and #4-76C. I then performed the RealBench stress test for 15 minutes and towards the end of the test my temps hovered around 88C and once or twice it hit a max core temp of 92C within a couple of the cores (#1-92, #2-90, #3-92 and #4-88). Even with the temps hovering in the upper 80s towards the last few minutes of the stress test, my CPU still passed! So, my question is.. how safe do you think this OC will be for long term usage? I usually play League of Legends most of the time when I'm gaming but I would like to be able to play more demanding games in the future. I really don't see myself doing any daily activities that would stress the CPU anywhere near what the stress test is putting my CPU through and the only thing I can think of that might come close is possibly gaming for an extended period of time. From what I've read, Tj Max according to Intel for Haswell is 105C and Core Temp has Tj. Max at 100C. I don't see myself reaching those limits under normal every day tasks/gaming. Should I be worried? I understand favorable temps should be 40-50C idle and 75-85C at load but in the few cases where my temps do reach the low 90C, is that substantial enough to warrant a decrease in frequency overclock to ensure temps never reach 90C temps or am I okay? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Setup:
Intel Core i5-4670K (OC @ 4.5GHz)
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Noctua NH-U9B SE2 92mm CPU Cooler
G.SKILL Sniper Series (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 760 4GB SC FTW
Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB
WD Blue 1TB HDD
Thermaltake Toughpower 700w 80 Plus Platinum
NZXT Phantom 410 Series ATX Mid Tower
* 2 x 120mm fan (intake) and 2 x 120mm fan (exhaust)

Read this on Asus' website:

"Like the benchmark, the stress test is designed to push every part of the system – CPU, cache, memory, GPU and storage with the real-world apps – to find any element of instability or weakness in your PC build.

It’s system load is even higher than that of the heavy multitasking. The benchmarks run in the background and loop asynchronously, providing both a very high sustained load and momentarily load change challenges for your system. This is better than an synthetic apps that provide sustained, iterative heavy loading like MemTest or Prime95."

I think I'll be okay as I don't believe I will ever load my processor with this much multitasking. Ran RealBench again on a fresh reboot and temps hit a max temp of only mid 70C and actually got a better score of: 101197.

I think you'll be OK as well. Something that I have noticed in my own overclocking setups is that overclocks seem to "wear off" with time. After a year of running on the same speed, now i'm getting greater temperature readings on the same unchanged OC on SandyBridge i7 on my AIO Corsair. (I accept the possibility that there may be coolant leak/evaporation, but I've been too lazy for due diligence). It might be worth checking every 6 months or so.

I think you'll be OK as well. Something that I have noticed in my own overclocking setups is that overclocks seem to "wear off" with time. After a year of running on the same speed, now i'm getting greater temperature readings on the same unchanged OC on SandyBridge i7 on my AIO Corsair. (I accept the possibility that there may be coolant leak/evaporation, but I've been too lazy for due diligence). It might be worth checking every 6 months or so.

Thanks for replying to my post, efishta! I'll be sure to update in the future if everything is still going smoothly or if something tragic happens, I'll post something sooner.. haha.

Found this post and thought it was insightful ---> What is a safe temp for a 5930K haswell-e?

I think I'll stick with this OC and see how well it does. Thanks for your insight, silent-cicuit.

I was going to reply to silent-circuit, but you beat me to it. To add some more anecdotal evidence, I've had my 2700K for approx 3 years, and it's been on 2 water coolers so far (a hand me down and a Corsair H80i) - about 3-4 months ago, I noticed some weird FPS fluctutations in Planetside 2. (CPU limited game too, so it helped) and I looked at my GPU and CPU clocks. The i7 was throttling down pretty severely due to temps hitting tjmax of 100 every time I gamed.

Anyways, with 1 failed water cooler after 2 years and a symptomatic overclock with current cooler, and who knows how much gaming I did with it throttled... and my point is, here we are. It runs fine, still at 4.45 Ghz, and kicking ass. These things are resilient as hell. I'm actually seriously impressed with the thermal protection of modern CPUs.

it's alright as long as you don't do anything cpu intensive, otherwise i would say that's way too hot

Back