i5-4670k combo deal at the Egg.

I never knew how amazing asus programming and SW development was until I tried asrock....they spell standard sandered mode in their copycat version of asus EPU, and fantastic fan wouldn't be such a lame name for fan control if It actually worked!

They just put out a brand new BIOS update today! Hopefully, it will fix some of these issues.

Yeah I went ahead and bought the Extreme6. Figured since ASRock is pretty good with BIOS updates and I had pretty good support with my FM2A85X Extreme6. Plus Newegg is offering a $15 gift card with a 4770K. And I had a pair of rebate cards that I turned into Newegg gift cards so in the end it only cost me $390.

I'm trying to decide if I should bite, the only benefit for me, would be single threaded games, but $339 for a UD3 and 4670K isn't so bad, and it would probably hold me over for a long time considering how slow tech is moving these days for gaming; thanks to consoles.

I'm trying to decide if I should bite, the only benefit for me, would be single threaded games, but $339 for a UD3 and 4670K isn't so bad, and it would probably hold me over for a long time considering how slow tech is moving these days for gaming; thanks to consoles.

I am running same CPU as you, clocked the same. I have a HD 6870 now, but just got a Tahiti LE 7870 a few weeks ago and I haven't installed it yet. My reasoning for going with this upgrade is exactly what you stated. Intel singled thread performance is great for games and I see Intel coasting for the next few years. AMD is great for multi threaded software and VM's, but this 4670k and HD 7870 will last me for a bit at 1080p gaming. And the 4670k will still be good when it's time to upgrade my graphics. I haven't went Intel since before AMD k-6.

I am running same CPU as you, clocked the same. I have a HD 6870 now, but just got a Tahiti LE 7870 a few weeks ago and I haven't installed it yet. My reasoning for going with this upgrade is exactly what you stated. Intel singled thread performance is great for games and I see Intel coasting for the next few years. AMD is great for multi threaded software and VM's, but this 4670k and HD 7870 will last me for a bit at 1080p gaming. And the 4670k will still be good when it's time to upgrade my graphics. I haven't went Intel since before AMD k-6.

I haven't ran an Intel CPU since the PII days... I went ahead and bit, I have the UD3 and 4670K coming my way.

I haven't ran an Intel CPU since the PII days... I went ahead and bit, I have the UD3 and 4670K coming my way.

Good choice. Gigabyte has always been a top tier MB manufacturer but from what I've heard/read their Z87 line is exceptionally impressive.

Good choice. Gigabyte has always been a top tier MB manufacturer but from what I've heard/read their Z87 line is exceptionally impressive.

Their UD boards have always been great OC boards, it doesn't have all the extra features like ASRock, but the build quality and oc'ability of it seem to be better. Its too bad the UD4 or UD5 weren't on the list.

I was having a hard time chossing between the ASUS and the GIGA. I've been very happy with Gigabyte in the past, but decided to try ASUS this time. I'm kinda wishing I would have stuck with Gigabyte.

I was having a hard time chossing between the ASUS and the GIGA. I've been very happy with Gigabyte in the past, but decided to try ASUS this time. I'm kinda wishing I would have stuck with Gigabyte.

Eh don't feel so bad, they dropped the price on the Gigabyte $20 today, making the deal not as good as it was; but I would still rather have the UD heat sinks.

Back