i5 3rd Gen or 4th Gen??

karan11000

n00b
Hello Guys,
I'm building a new future-proof gaming pc and i was confused whether i should buy i5-3470 or i5-4570!!
I heard there are some problems with the 4th generation of intel!!
Please recommend a better one.

Thanks

Based on the numers of those chips, you aren't planing in overclock in any future, so the answer its go with the 4570.. The problems with haswell are mostly due to because the integrated voltage regulator in the chip die, make it it run hot, with unnecesary added voltage, etc but thats overclocking, at stock clocks its a chip that run cold.. Instead if you want to overclock i highly suggest a ivy bridge i5 3570K.

Based on the numers of those chips, you aren't planing in overclock in any future, so the answer its go with the 4570.. The problems with haswell are mostly due to because the integrated voltage regulator in the chip die, make it it run hot, with unnecesary added voltage, etc but thats overclocking, at stock clocks its a chip that run cold.. Instead if you want to overclock i highly suggest a ivy bridge i5 3570K.

Thanks!!! :D
I don't wanna overclock...3.4ghz is already too high for most of the games!!
so, haswell is better for non-oc!!
and which motherboard will be suitable and affordable for it?? :confused:

people have their brand preferences for mobo.. my only 2cents is dont get a cheap mobo. get one thats $130+.. GPU, PSU, RAM, etc can be upgrade easily in the future, whats going to stick long term is the CPU n MOBO..

I try to stay around the $100 price point for motherboards. Anything above that and you aren't getting a whole lot in return. maybe 1 or 2 extra usb or sata. But who needs more than 6?

Depends on pricing IMHO. I bought my dad an Ivy Bridge i5 3570k for Christmas. Microcenter had a really nice price on them. ~$50 less than Haswell. He wouldn't get much use out of the new board features. Haswell is a little faster clock for clock, but that's about it aside from the chipset/board improvements. If you can get a deal on Ivy Bridge and don't have much use for the assorted board improvements I'd say go for it. If price is close to the same, I'd just get Haswell.

I try to stay around the $100 price point for motherboards. Anything above that and you aren't getting a whole lot in return. maybe 1 or 2 extra usb or sata. But who needs more than 6?

I use 9 sata ports currently. But I still went with a cheaper board and RAID controller.

people have their brand preferences for mobo.. my only 2cents is dont get a cheap mobo. get one thats $130+.. GPU, PSU, RAM, etc can be upgrade easily in the future, whats going to stick long term is the CPU n MOBO..

My z87-g41 PC mate which was about $40 works great.

At 4.5Ghz and 1.265 on the Vcore and 1.25 VRIN voltage with the ring bus at 4.2Ghz on my 4670K and I don't find it gets all that hot. I only have an H60 as intake with 2 fans and MX-2 TIM and I hit the mid 70's when I tested for stability and mid 50's to low 60's in games.

Thanks!!! :D
I don't wanna overclock...3.4ghz is already too high for most of the games!!
so, haswell is better for non-oc!!
and which motherboard will be suitable and affordable for it?? :confused:

:confused::confused::confused:

This is the [H]ard OCP forums.

3.4Ghz is too high for most games? :confused:

You should remove yourself from these forums with talk like that.

"3.4GHz is too high for most games" belongs in softforum.com, not hardforum.:D

"3.4GHz is too high for most games" belongs in softforum.com, not hardforum.:D

well, softforum.com is a korean website and i dont know korean!! :p

Well, I'm an amateur at gaming and i have a 2.9Ghz Core 2 duo right now... 3.4Ghz Quad Core is enough for me....I'll think of overclocking after some years!! :D

well, softforum.com is a korean website and i dont know korean!! :p

Well, I'm an amateur at gaming and i have a 2.9Ghz Core 2 duo right now... 3.4Ghz Quad Core is enough for me....I'll think of overclocking after some years!! :D

Give him a brake guys...!!!!
He's "gaming" with GT 520 for fu@#'s sake....!!!!

/I made a funny...;)

Give him a brake guys...!!!!
He's "gaming" with GT 520 for fu@#'s sake....!!!!

/I made a funny...;)
Listen, I'm sure he has a blistering frame rate in Solitaire and Angry Birds, alright?

OP if you aren't going to overclock I'd go with Haswell. Very low power consumption, and hey the integrated graphics might actually be better than a GT520, that's an extremely low end card.

Listen, I'm sure he has a blistering frame rate in Solitaire and Angry Birds, alright?

OP if you aren't going to overclock I'd go with Haswell. Very low power consumption, and hey the integrated graphics might actually be better than a GT520, that's an extremely low end card.

Well, I will also buy a GTX 660....I was just asking about CPU on this thread!! :p

Last edited:
If I wanted something reasonable and didn't want to spend too much, I'd go i5-3570, GTX 750 Ti 2GB and 8GB RAM.

The 750 Ti is only slightly less powerful than the 660 and it uses low power but it's cheaper so allows you to spend a little more on the CPU.

The next time I buy a video card though, I'd prefer buying a model with heatpipes rather than the noisy GT 640 model I got. (That video card was for my last XP machine playing Battlefield 2 and Unreal Tournament 3.)

If I wanted something reasonable and didn't want to spend too much, I'd go i5-3570, GTX 750 Ti 2GB and 8GB RAM.

The 750 Ti is only slightly less powerful than the 660 and it uses low power but it's cheaper so allows you to spend a little more on the CPU.

The next time I buy a video card though, I'd prefer buying a model with heatpipes rather than the noisy GT 640 model I got. (That video card was for my last XP machine playing Battlefield 2 and Unreal Tournament 3.)

Why not just get a GeForce 7800 or 8800 for like $20 or something if your XP machine was going for BF2 / UT3? Maybe power usage is better in your case but shrug, seems odd using a newer card for older games on an older system. :D

Why not just get a GeForce 7800 or 8800 for like $20 or something if your XP machine was going for BF2 / UT3? Maybe power usage is better in your case but shrug, seems odd using a newer card for older games on an older system. :D

An AMD 5400+ with 8800 GS was not quite enough for those games (to run at max.).

The E8500 and GT 640 does it.

nothin is really future proof. Create a budget and try to follow it. I ended up with a 2500k way after everyone else moved on to ivy I am happy i saved a bunch.

The games now a days and video processing only really want a good video card and 2-4gbs of ram. But

this is a HARDCORE forum full of knowledge/preferences.

Hello Guys,
I'm building a new future-proof gaming pc and i was confused whether i should buy i5-3470 or i5-4570!!
I heard there are some problems with the 4th generation of intel!!
Please recommend a better one.

Thanks
After owning the 3770k and now the 4770k i say 4th gen. Price difference isnt much usually. The loss of overclocking potential is outweighed by the higher efficiently and ipc of the 4th gen. At least for what I use it for. If you are just gaming, a 2500k and p67 or z77 board would work.

And there is NO such thing as future proof.

Back