I5 2500k vs. i7 2600k for BF3?

Gabe3

2[H]4U
Well I'm trying to figure out what parts to get for a new rig to handle BF3. Are there any benchmarks for the final game? All I can find is beta results and they are only for video cards. I'm wondering if its worth the extra $100 to get the i7. I'm planning to get a gtx 570, i'd like to be able to run ultra settings.

I have the i7 and I just disabled HT today to make BF3 run smoother (not sure I can tell the difference).

You would be better off getting the 2500k and upgrading to a 580.

My dual 480s run the game "adequately" on a single screen.

In terms of purely for BF3 you are better off with a 2500k and spending the $100 on a better video card, upgrading your monitor, or saving it for future video card upgrades.

The 2600k is not a very cost effective gaming oriented choice, even from a "future proofing" perspective. From a cost conscious point of view you'd only really move up to it from a hardware hobbyist perspective or you do other work which better benefits more from hyper-threading (for instance video editing, 3d rendering, etc.)

If you do want the 2600k, I'd actually consider seeing what the 2700k retails for by comparison, since you might as well consider going all out.

The 2500k is the sweet spot for performance/dollar right now, I think.

Either processor should handle the game just fine. If you have other reasons or you want more epeen then get the 2600k.

Another vote for the 2500k and more gpu.

The 6970 is putting up the same numbers as the 580 in [H]'s review, which makes it a steal at $300...

Either processor should handle the game just fine. If you have other reasons or you want more epeen then get the 2600k.

This basically, both CPUs are overkill for the game, and both have massive overclock potential anyway.

I got a spare 2600K that I've been lazy about getting rid of, for cheap. Send me a pm and we'll talk if you want. Again just been lazy about getting rid of it among other high end spare parts that I have.

Well I'm trying to figure out what parts to get for a new rig to handle BF3. Are there any benchmarks for the final game? All I can find is beta results and they are only for video cards. I'm wondering if its worth the extra $100 to get the i7. I'm planning to get a gtx 570, i'd like to be able to run ultra settings.

Dude, I can run Ultra with a 560 TI. FTB with rig in sig and get in the high 30's for the lows. I went to high on the post only and it's 40 to70 fps. On all high it just gets better and frankly in MP not a huge difference to notice do to the fact your focused on staying alive.

Bottom line1680x1050 is the sweet spot for saving your wallet and for the mid range cards.

Just an FYI

I've heard from various sources that the extra 4 threads on the 2600K actually causes some slowdowns in some games that don't have perfect hyperthreading and so a 2500K will actually work better in some situations.

I bought the i2600k specifically for BF3...I wish I saved the money and gone with the i2500k.

not many ppl buy 2600k unless they likes to bench or dont oc (but who buys Ks without ocing..)

once your above 4.0ghz you shouldnt have any bottleneck issues and 2500ks can do that just fine.

Tell ya what, if all you want to do is play games then I cant blame you for disabling HT. But for me gamings a secondary use, I need my HT for video encoding and transcoding. One can only hope that they smooth this out some. I also hear setting a core to primary affinity helps as well. Havent tried that yet, just finally got a fall MP game in for the first time this morning. Nothing but crash crash crash before they fixed it.

Back