i5 2500K for $180 at Fry's

needmorecarnitine

Supreme [H]ardness
for those of you without a Microcenter nearby.

Limited to stock on hand. Also you can get 10% off select MSI motherboards when purchased with it (or an Intel 2100).

Yeah, in-store only

Of course.. I was holding off on getting a 2500K hoping there would be a good Memorial Day sale at Fry's. When they didn't have it last week I ordered from Amazon. Oh well.

Why would you buy an I5 2500k when Microcenter has the i7 9600 for the same price?

I am asking and not trying to piss on your cheerios here! :D

Why would you buy an I5 2500k when Microcenter has the i7 9600 for the same price?

I am asking and not trying to piss on your cheerios here! :D
I believe the following would be the reasons for getting 2500k over 960
1) MC is not as ubiquitous as Fry's
2) there's no i7 9600
3) if you mean i7 960, then the issue is that 1366 platform is outdated, a little more expensive and 960 is a little harder to overclock than 2500k :D

I believe the following would be the reasons for getting 2500k over 960
1) MC is not as ubiquitous as Fry's
2) there's no i7 9600
3) if you mean i7 960, then the issue is that 1366 platform is outdated, a little more expensive and 960 is a little harder to overclock than 2500k :D

This post is full of win

There are two Microcenters in all of California, the closest is two and a half hours away. There are two Fry's local to me. It would cost me $40.00 in gas to drive to and from Microcenter.

I've had zero problems with stability. OC capability is hard to tell because a large part of it is the cpu but my 2500K got up to 4700MHz using 1.4X volts (didn't try higher since I already didn't like the voltage being used). Running at 4400MHz now with 1.32V (shows 1.28V in cpuz). Its a low end board so don't expect it to have all the tuning options of better models. Also, no crossfire/sli

I've had zero problems with stability. OC capability is hard to tell because a large part of it is the cpu but my 2500K got up to 4700MHz using 1.4X volts (didn't try higher since I already didn't like the voltage being used). Running at 4400MHz now with 1.32V (shows 1.28V in cpuz). Its a low end board so don't expect it to have all the tuning options of better models. Also, no crossfire/sli

Thanks for the answer! :)

Thanks for the heads up. Was out of town and wound up being near a Fry's. Got my new CPU. Ordering my first SSD and MBoard next week. =)

Just grabbed one of these today from Fry's to put in my Z68 board. Been kicking myself ever since I missed their $250 2600k deal weeks ago and this was a consolation prize. Looking good so far... :)

You should be able to get that price at almost any time if microcenter keeps offering it. Bought ~10 of these chips through Fry's since they started their price match deal for customer machines, and they price matched every one of them at the San Marcos, CA store.

For workstations or home or gaming without overclocking its very very very hard to beat the bang for the buck of a price matched i5-2400 (149) or 2500k with the $50 MSI 1155 board.

dont forget to ask to to find a costa rica chip :)

last time i bought a cpu i asked them to bring 4 of them so i could pick

I've never had a problem :confused:

Are you saying your Fry's will pricematch in-store only price? Well, you got lucky then. They either pricematch an online price (no coupons), or a local competitor's, not an in-store price across the country.

ONLY if it's close:rolleyes:

Had no trouble getting my local Fry's will pricematch the Silicon Valley microcenter (~500 miles away) when the Irvine store (~70 miles away) is out of stock. I do not think policy guidelines for the price-matching are set in stone beyond which stores/websites they match, so the answer is always no unless you ask.

My local Fry's wouldn't pricematch a Microcenter 75 miles away. Saleman claimed Microcenter was a "Warehouse Supplier". My experience is the policy varies from store to store and manager to manager.

my local Fry's only had open box cpu's on hand so I just ordered one online at MC and picked it up at the online order counter. This is WAAY better than going up to the hard sell salesman that try to up sell you any chance they get.

My local Fry's wouldn't pricematch a Microcenter 75 miles away. Saleman claimed Microcenter was a "Warehouse Supplier". My experience is the policy varies from store to store and manager to manager.

Ask for a different sales guy, Microcenter is on the list of stores they price match if you ask for the information sheet

In case anybody else is wondering, there is a label on the box (big white label on the end) and it says the country of origin on it. I got lucky - I didn't check until I got home - and got a Costa Rica from MC.

Back