i5 2500K (4.8) and Asus Maximus V Gene3 advice

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, I was on an AMD X4 955 BE for the last two years, and I didn't overclock it much (the mITX board from Asus), and now I'm rocking an i5 2500K and the board in the title (mATX).

It's running at 4.8 right now; I did have it at 4.7 for a bit, and I COULD do 5.0, but my concern is temps.

I'm using a Corsair H100 watercooler, and my temps under Intel Burn Test, custom @8GB are/were:

4.7 @ 1.39v: max core temp ~75C
4.8 @ 1.44: max core temp ~86C
5.0 @ 1.475: max core temp ~88-90C

I'm wondering what the danger zone is, what I should be watching for, and most of all, what I should really be running at. I love the power this baby has at 5.0 (I noticed it when I went down to 4.7!), but I don't want the chip/mobo dying soon (which is what killed my AMD system: blew out the mobo OCing). You could say I'm an old-school overclocker who's out of the loop, and just wondering what this gen's limits are.

Edit: Also, I sometimes get Stop 0x00000124 BSOD's; each time I have I just upped the voltage one notch, but I'm wondering if that's normal. It usually does it in games or when idling for awhile, but IBT will pass...

75C is fine, but 86C is getting pretty hot. What kind of fans are you using on the H100? Are they running full speed? Do you have PLL Overvoltage enabled? If not, turning it on can help reduce the Vcore needed at clocks higher than 4.6 or so.

75C is fine, but 86C is getting pretty hot. What kind of fans are you using on the H100? Are they running full speed? Do you have PLL Overvoltage enabled? If not, turning it on can help reduce the Vcore needed at clocks higher than 4.6 or so.

Fans are the stock ones that came with it, in a pull configuration (needed due to space issues in my case).

They're controlled by the pump of the H100 so I hear them spin up and down as the load/temp changes/

I'm not sure what setting PLL Overvoltage is on this particular mobo (EFI setup), but I do have the "Maximum Voltage" setting, and when I view it in CPUz the vCore doesn't change as the CPU lowers its clock.

Not sure for that BIOS either, but on my Asus board it is called PLL Overvoltage - should be the same or very similar.

Back