i5-2500 Temperature & Coolermaster 612

Serville

n00b
I have Coolermaster Hyper 612 on my i5-2500.
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6728

The idle temp is 35 C. Load at 52-53 C. I touch the heatsink.....cold.
I tried multiplier 40 with everything else at stock.
Running 4000 Mhz at stock voltage, Idle temp is 40 C. Prime testing (100% each core) reach 65-67C. Room temp: 30C.
I touch the heatsink.....hardly even warm......strange .....as if there is very little heat transfer from the CPU to heatsink.
Is it normal that the heatsink is still so cool while the CPU temp reaches 65-67C ?
I wonder whether it is the characteristic of the thin-fin design of the heatsink.
I remember my old Athlon heatsink feels so hot when the cpu reaches 60C, but then the heatsink is made of thick aluminium.

Does my CPU temperature sound right to you ?
Or should I reinstall the heatsink ?
I'd rather not unless it is really bad, because I have to take off everything again, which means serious business.

ok. I guess the heatsink installtion is fine then.
I just realized that I put the 2nd fan in the wrong direction.
Instead of push & pull, I put both to push to the center .
After fixing, I got even lower temperature after running Prime test for 2 hours. Idle at 40C, & full at 60-61C.
I raised the multiplier to 43x, idle is now at 42-43C & Prime temperature after 1.5 hour is now 64-65C.

The only problem is I don't even know whether the board is auto-adjusting the Vcore.
No setting in the bios that implies to "Auto Voltage enabled/disabled" or "Auto overclocking", so I assume I'm still running stock voltage ?
What is the stock voltage for this processor anyway ?
When priming at 4.3 GHz, I see CoreTemp reports VID 1.376v, and CPUz reports VCore at 1.296v.
Does it give a clue whether I'm still using stock voltage ?
I haven't got the time to read more about overclocking this processor, or . what all those terms in the overclocking section in the bios actually mean.
What I did so far is just based on blind overclocking by raising the multiplier. :D

Just tried multiplier 44x, CPUz reports VCore at 1.286v & CoreTemp VID 1.376v.
Still running Prime now. I jumped to 45x before, but it blue screened.

First things first: put your rig in the sig !

Judging from the multipliers, you have a i5-2500K and for sure, your mobo IS raising the CPU voltage. Meh, what's the mobo, some kind of MSI or something... :confused:

If your idle is at 40c, then it isn't downclocking or downvolting. You have to use offset voltage mode for your i5 to lower its voltage when idle, and either EIST enabled or the one of the C states enabled for it to do either.

Last edited:
Back