I5-11600 hitting 100c

bink

[H]ard|Gawd
My neighbors kid bought a cyber power pc with the mentioned cpu. He told me it is constantly shutting down. I had him install core temp and send me a pic after 10-15 minutes of gaming. It shows the cores hitting 100c. Looking it up on ark it looks like 100c is the max for that cpu and it’s shutting itself done. It has some dinky ass cooler on it. I pulled it and the thermal compound looked good. I removed it and put some mx7 or whatever I had laying around. I’m gonna tell him to return it to Best Buy as he has only had it 4 days. The fan rpm never leaves ~1700rpm as it heats up.

am I right to say those temps are not right?

40EADC84-DC33-4D7A-9E7C-680EBE2E982B.jpeg

My neighbors kid bought a cyber power pc with the mentioned cpu. He told me it is constantly shutting down. I had him install core temp and send me a pic after 10-15 minutes of gaming. It shows the cores hitting 100c. Looking it up on ark it looks like 100c is the max for that cpu and it’s shutting itself done. It has some dinky ass cooler on it. I pulled it and the thermal compound looked good. I removed it and put some mx7 or whatever I had laying around. I’m gonna tell him to return it to Best Buy as he has only had it 4 days. The fan rpm never leaves ~1700rpm as it heats up.

am I right to say those temps are not right?

View attachment 361350
I am betting the motherboard is not configured to respect Intel's stock spec for the CPU. if it were, the CPU should be throttling itself, rather than being allowed to reach its thermal limit and shutdown.

However.....no Rocket Lake being used in a performance focused situation, should be cooled with a stock cooler.

I don't think they should return the system, I think you should help them find a decent cooler and also go through the motherboard configuration, to optimize some settings. If they return the system, the chances of getting anything else, are slim.

Reeven Justice is a solid choice for price/performance. [H] once reviewed it. it is quite tall, however. So make sure to check the height restriction on the case.

https://www.amazon.com/Reeven-Justi...keywords=reeven+justice&qid=1622428709&sr=8-1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the replies, it looks like the bios update that added support for that proc came out on 5/18 I think. I’ll give that a shot in the morning.

Thanks for the replies, it looks like the bios update that added support for that proc came out on 5/18 I think. I’ll give that a shot in the morning.

More than likely the board has an intel specified tdp. What motherboard do they have?

Here is the update screen, old bios vs what I installed:

175F7BB7-7F4B-47DB-A128-73A0E8123082.jpeg

after installing this this morning the proc stays in the 80s while gaming. It would hit 99c on all cores within 2 minutes before. I’m sure he will be on all day playing so I’ll find out if that fixed it. I told him I would upgrade the dinky ass cooler anyways.

thanks for the help(fingers crossed)

Well he just texted me that it hit 100 against all cores again

edit, told him to return it. No point in having to do all this crap on a prebuilt. I won’t recommend cyber power to anyone anymore. Oh well. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Well he just texted me that it hit 100 against all cores again

edit, told him to return it. No point in having to do all this crap on a prebuilt. I won’t recommend cyber power to anyone anymore. Oh well. Thanks for the help.
As far as I have seen, virtually all of the 'cheap' pre-builts are sticking tiny heatsinks on their Rocket Lake CPUs, unless you buy a liquid cooling. And that's usually just a 120mm radiator...

if it was a good deal, minus the heat sink, it might be worth while to toss a 212 on it...
I agree, but it wasn’t my decision, people who aren’t tech savvy and dont understand why their kids wants to spend 1100 bucks to play games aren’t gonna spend more money to make the pc run.

haha damn.

i think i now know why none of the big OEMs hp dell lenovo are using rocket lake

this new architecture is a fail

it almost sounds like the mobo has cpu fan set to quiet mode, and cpu limits disrespected.

I know some mobo brands have that tdp boost.

you should have asked him to use hwinfo64 to look at tdp while it was in the high 90s.

For me, even if it could be fixed with a new cooler, it is not something they should have to do, Return it, explain why and demand they resolve the issue by providing a better adequate cooler on the CPU.

The problem with returning it is that you're not guaranteed a replacement in a timely fashion. If you got ANY sort of GPU with the pre-built, then I think you're better off buying a $25 cooler and fixing the problem vs. returning it and taking your chances that another will be available soon.

He returned it and ordered a ibuypower with an i7-11700f. It will be here this coming Monday. The cooler in the pics on Best Buy’s site look just as silly. I told him if it has the same problem he will get to learn how to swap out a cooler....

This video from GN is timely and recommended to watch to understand the reasons for the thermal issues.

that is the exact cooler that was on the cyperpower, just dinky trash.

He returned it and ordered a ibuypower with an i7-11700f. It will be here this coming Monday. The cooler in the pics on Best Buy’s site look just as silly. I told him if it has the same problem he will get to learn how to swap out a cooler....
gn tore up the ibuypower systems too...
are they not doing any research?!

I’m gonna suggest the cooler master 212 rgb. He is 14 and is gonna want to keep with the rgb theme he has going. A quick google shows the lga1151 coolers also work for lga1200. If you have a $50ish suggestion that is black and rgb then please post it.

"I tink". The "new" architecture is a fail because "it almost sounds like the mobo has CPU fan set to quiet mode and the CPU limits disrespected".
"I know" some brands have TDP boost.

That's a great "analogy" as to why the architecture is a "fail". 🤪🤪🤪🤪

Telling to "return it" because there's no point to deal with it, well, it's like so many in this forum venture in buying a CPU with 6-8-10 cores and end up using an Evo 12 but can't comprehend why the "high" temps, yet everyone highly recommends to beef up the heat-sink. Super idiotic I think, to say "return it".
Instead of: Hey! Don't worry little fella, I'll teach you the correct way to deal with this issue and we're gonna fix it. Buy him an effing heat-sink, $50 LIKE THIS ONE and boom! I'm the hero!!!!!

Poor choice the kid made going to the "tech-savvy" if you ask me. Trying to get help and all he got was: RETURN IT!

And judging by some of your responses, I think it's safe to say that next time you come across someone having issues with their PC here in the forum, you say?................RETURN IT.
I wonder how many people returned their 5 series plethora of issues CPU (and platform) because the motherboard didn't support it right off the bat and needed a BIOS update. It would make sense I think. Returning it. 🖖

I think there is a reasonable expectation that a prebuilt should function out of the box to its specs...if I bought a new car and it overheats on the ride home I’m taking that crap back...why should I go to the parts store and throw money at it to make it work. It’s brand new.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08JCG2V6P?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

That is a surprisingly good HSF for the money. It has five heat pipes instead of four like the others in that price range. It also feels better constructed than the 212 series (at least the versions I used).

the new prebuilt came in Friday. It’s got an i7-11700f. It had a dinky fan as well and was hitting upper 80s gaming. He ordered this cooler and we installed it today. It stayed in the low 60s while gaming. The rgb fan tied into the existing controller and worked good too.

that’s a great cooler for 20 bucks. The brackets are just ok.

the new prebuilt came in Friday. It’s got an i7-11700f. It had a dinky fan as well and was hitting upper 80s gaming. He ordered this cooler and we installed it today. It stayed in the low 60s while gaming. The rgb fan tied into the existing controller and worked good too.

Now open up the CPU power limit in the bios to 160watts and set the turbo/boost time to the max supported by the motherboard (if it has a turbo option for "dual tau", set that up and the CPU will effectively have no turbo time limit). Large increase in performance. Heat will increase, but should still be fine.
If its too much, back it down to 140watts. 140watts will lose some performance in an all core, full load (such as cinibench or encoding with h.264). But gaming won't lose a noticeable amount, since games don't fully load all cores at once.
(if you max out the power limits, the 11700F will actually pull a bit over 170watts. But its not really necessary for anything practical, and its a lot hotter than 160watts).

Its possible the motherboard increases the power limit to some degree, by default. But the stock setting from Intel for the 11700F, is only 60watts, which holds back a pretty excellent CPU.

You also may need to back it down to 140watts, if the motherboard is cheap and the VRM can't handle more than that. You'll know, because a cheap VRM will thermal throttle and clock rates will plateau or drop.

An 11700F does 4.4GHZ all core and 4.9 single/dual core.

don't forget to update the bios! Rocket Lake needs those bios updates. They improve core latency for a decent gaming boost, slightly lower power usage, and improved boosting behavior.

Last edited:

I installed it on an AM4 setup, and it wasn't intuitive how to install it. But for the price? It cools pretty well, IMO. I can forgive some of the other shortcomings. Glad it's working out for you.

I installed it on an AM4 setup, and it wasn't intuitive how to install it. But for the price? It cools pretty well, IMO. I can forgive some of the other shortcomings. Glad it's working out for you.

I thought the picture diagrams for the LGA socket install where fine up to the fan clips. But I’ve done dozens of those.

Honestly Intel needs to just drop these dinky HSF. No one should ever be using this garbage.

Back