i5-11400 build questions

ss88

Weaksauce
Thinking about building a PC around the i5-11400 to get a bump in single thread performance over my current i7-8700. I don't do any gaming; I'm only going for reliability and single thread performance. A few questions about this prospective build:

1. The other CPU I was considering is the i5-10400, but that's about the same, maybe very slightly worse than my existing i7-8700. Are Passmark single thread ratings a fairly good indicator of relative performance you can expect to see for different CPUs on single threaded apps?
1647785613453.png

2. The i5-11400 is currently $150 at MicroCenter. Seems like a very good deal, but I don't follow the CPU market. Are these available at this price often? Or should I buy now even if I'm not ready to build for another couple of months?

3. What is a good reliable motherboard to pair with the i5-11400? I'd like integrated graphics support/ports, and a board that will also pair well with 11th gen i7 or i9 so that I have an upgrade path down the road. Also should have 4 memory slots. I will not be overclocking, so I don't think I need a Z series mobo, but I know very little about mobos. Again, not doing any gaming.

4. Any other factors I should be considering given my goal of getting a bump in single thread performance on a budget?

I would probably get a 12400 with a DDR4 motherboard at this point for a little more money. It's passmark single thread is ~3500. Otherwise, I don't think that the move to a 11400 is worth it when you have to buy a new motherboard anyway.

I too vote for a 12400 with DDR4. You can even go with windows 10 on a 12400 if you want because it doesn't have E-cores.

Reactions: ss88
like this
I echo the recommendations to go with the 12400 with a DDR4 motherboard instead of the 11400. You will get a lot more single thread performance for a little bit more money.

Guys, you sold me on the i5-12400. As you noted, since I'll have to buy a motherboard regardless, might as well go LGA 1700 since the price diff between 11400 and 12400 is so small, plus a nice additional bump in single thread performance.

So my next question - what are good motherboard options, given parameters below and I'll also want DDR4 RAM compatibility.
3. What is a good reliable motherboard to pair with the i5-12400? I'd like the following: (1) integrated graphics support/ports, (2) a 2nd x16 slot (could be wired as x4 - this is for a second video card), (3) 4 memory slots, (4) a board that will also pair well with 12th gen i7 or i9 so that I have an upgrade path down the road. I will not be overclocking, so I don't think I need a Z series mobo, but I know very little about mobos. Again, not doing any gaming.

Last edited:
Guys, you sold me on the i5-12400. As you noted, since I'll have to buy a motherboard regardless, might as well go LGA 1700 since the price diff between 11400 and 12400 is so small.

So my next question - what are good motherboard options, given parameters below and I'll also want DDR4 RAM compatibility.
This is going to be tough. There are gazillions of motherboards these days.

Dan_D Any good recommendations for lga1700 with DDR4 for a 12400?

This is going to be tough. There are gazillions of motherboards these days.

Dan_D Any good recommendations for lga1700 with DDR4 for a 12400?
Right now, I'm still testing various boards. I'm testing one right now, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. DDR5, I have a few recommendations but I haven't used any DDR4 boards I like very much just yet.

Guys, you sold me on the i5-12400. As you noted, since I'll have to buy a motherboard regardless, might as well go LGA 1700 since the price diff between 11400 and 12400 is so small, plus a nice additional bump in single thread performance.

I think something like this: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119536

Might be up your alley. I've always had a good experience with the Asus Prime line of motherboards.

like this
There aren't many good or even decent DDR4 LGA 1700 motherboards on the market in the sense that one can upgrade to a very-high-end version of a compatible i7 or i9 CPU. In fact, most of those might very well throttle down the clocks of anything beyond an i5 or a locked i7 judging by their VRM performance.

The only really good LGA 1700 motherboards that can easily handle a CPU upgrade all use DDR5 RAM only. And then, Intel's DDR5 memory controller is quirky in the sense that it really needs all four DIMM slots occupied in order to achieve optimal performance, even if their maximum usable speed is significantly lower than with only two DIMM slots occupied. This completely eliminates every single one of the mini-ITX LGA 1700 DDR5 motherboards from consideration.

like this
Still one day, having the option to go from a 12400 to a 13600 could be a nice boost if needed.

like this
I have been using an Aorus Elite AX DDR4 board for a while until recently (upgraded to a DDR5 board) and it's been a rock solid board. Most negative reviews for any of the Z690 boards are that you need to flash the bios at first before they run stable.

like this
There aren't many good or even decent DDR4 LGA 1700 motherboards on the market in the sense that one can upgrade to a very-high-end version of a compatible i7 or i9 CPU. In fact, most of those might very well throttle down the clocks of anything beyond an i5 or a locked i7 judging by their VRM performance.

The only really good LGA 1700 motherboards that can easily handle a CPU upgrade all use DDR5 RAM only. And then, Intel's DDR5 memory controller is quirky in the sense that it really needs all four DIMM slots occupied in order to achieve optimal performance, even if their maximum usable speed is significantly lower than with only two DIMM slots occupied. This completely eliminates every single one of the mini-ITX LGA 1700 DDR5 motherboards from consideration.
what?

---------------

ss88 I'm assuming you are looking at budget options for motherboards.

In reality, its probably a coin toss between these:

Gigabyte B660M Aorus Pro AX
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145374?quicklink=true

MSI MAG B660M Mortar Wifi
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144522?Item=N82E16813144522&quicklink=true

Asus TUF B660M Pllus Wifi D4
https://www.newegg.com/p/13-119-540

IMO, The VRMs are all fine for stock operation. And since these are B660 which do not support CPU overclocking----yeah, I think these are fine. A torture test might be too much for a 12900k----but you aren't buying one of those.

Im inclined to say the Gigabyte, because it has the best Audio solution and in my experience, DDR4 compatibility for Alder lake is good, with Gigabyte.

Otherwise, its a bit of a wash, features-wise.

You probably shouldn't get the Asus, because it has a particularly space constrained area around the socket. Which may be reason to avoid it (I crossed it out). It can't even fit the Intel stock cooler, without interfering with the first RAM slot.

like this
Back