i3770k + ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 build just died, looking for recommendations/help

15sunrises

n00b
After almost 5 full years of loyal service, the above combination died on me recently. I've never really been happier with a build in terms of meeting my needs, so it's pretty devastating, but 5 years is pretty good.

It simply stopped posting out of nowhere. I troubleshot everything, then on like the 40th attempt, it posted once, then again stopped posting immediately afterwards, forcing me to take it into service.

They said that the CPU was overtaxing the socket in terms of power draw and that eventually both the CPU and socket just stopped working. They couldn't get the board to post with any other CPUs nor could get the CPU to post on other boards. I have no idea regarding the validity of their explanation, maybe somebody could chime in in regards to that? Just seems strange to me that it would suddenly stop working due to what was apparently a long-term problem. But this is far beyond the limits of my knowledge.

Current build:
  • Corsair 550D Obsidian
  • 2x Intel 330 120GB
  • i7-3770k
  • Mugen 3 cooler
  • Asus P8Z77-V LX2
  • Sapphire HD 7750
  • 2x Crucial 8GB CL9 1600MHz
  • Seasonic M12II-520
I'm looking for something with similar performance for rendering in 3Ds Max/V-ray, but maybe not in the same "budget range" as when I built the above.

Before the system broke down, I was thinking about upgrading the video card to an nVidia to take advantage of CUDA rendering, otherwise I have no need to upgrade the card for the time being. Don't really play any games, most important factor was the passive cooling of the card. Bummer that all upgrades have to be put off for a while just to get a functioning PC ... ohwell.

Planned build

Looks like the RAM is of no use to me any more, so I would sell that. The Mugen can't also apparently be adapted to the AM4 boards. Was thinking about going Ryzen. Prior to this computer I was always using AMD chips and never had a problem, so am thinking to go back.
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (not sure if the X upgrade is necessary for me since there won't be much gaming. Also wondering whether I might be happy enough with the Wraith Spire cooler)
  • GIGABYTE AB350-GAMING 3 - like the 6x sata ports, but would prefer to save a bit more on the board, especially since I have no need for SLI. Any suggestions welcome.
  • Crucial 16GB KIT DDR4 2666MHz CL16 Ballistix Elite - seems to be the best deal at the moment I can find for 16GB. Maybe thinking about going with the Kingston 32GB KIT DDR4 2666MHz CL16 HyperX Fury Black Series as I had some issues with running out of RAM prior to the collapse.
  • not sure what to do about the cooler. Pretty bummed that the Mugen 3 can't be adapted as it was fairly pricy in the first place, so any suggestions are welcome.
Not entirely sure what else I could be looking into. My most important factors are noise levels and reliability. Thanks to anybody with any suggestions ...

The Wraith Spire is probably good enough like you said.

If you're not using dual video cards, the B350 boards will work fine.

Not sure exactly about the memory. I'd get a two stick kit rather than a 4x8GB if you're going 32GB.

Update your bios when you get the board up and running.

Thank you for your input, was also looking into the ASRock AB350 Pro4 for a board.

You're absolutely right about the sticks, didn't make it clear in my post that I'm going to go either 2x8GB or 2x16GB.

Thank you for your input, was also looking into the ASRock AB350 Pro4 for a board.

You're absolutely right about the sticks, didn't make it clear in my post that I'm going to go either 2x8GB or 2x16GB.

Tough to beat the price on that board right now. I recently had an Asus Strix B350-F board that was also very nice. Biggest differences between the Asus board and the one you're looking at are the Intel NIC and the ALC1220 audio instead of the 892.

Yeah my only advice to you is be on the look-out for RAM deals, particularly used, as you probably aren't going to like the current prices :p

I guess it's more of a question on whether you want faster RAM, or if you'd be willing to get 2133/2400 at a significant discount.
I know I saw someone selling dozens of DIMMs from retired workstations, so that is something to consider here.

Yeah my only advice to you is be on the look-out for RAM deals, particularly used, as you probably aren't going to like the current prices :p

I guess it's more of a question on whether you want faster RAM, or if you'd be willing to get 2133/2400 at a significant discount.
I know I saw someone selling dozens of DIMMs from retired workstations, so that is something to consider here.

Thanks. The timing for this really stinks, especially after flawless operation for like 5 years! Never OCed ... just a bummer.

The pricing for RAM is definitely not on my side either. The sticks I mentioned seemed to be the best price/performance that I could find, but in terms of my needs, maybe I don't need such fast RAM ...

Ryzen likes faster RAM. I'd look for compatibility to get at least 2933mhz out of it. A lot of 3000mhz RAM will do that with the latest bioses.

Does anybody have any input regarding the idea that the "cpu was drawing too much power from the socket". Does this even make sense?

I'm starting to regret taking it anywhere to be honest, but will be rushing to get it back today for perhaps more troubleshooting.

Okay, so small update which might be helpful for future posts:

Retrieved my computer in pieces from the "service" shop, which seemed to only exist to take apart my computer and further confuse the situation.

Put it back together, mounted it with 1 stick of ram and CPU and got to post. Shortly after entering BIOS, computer powers down.

Manged to get to post a few more times, showing correct RAM and CPU settings, but would always shut off shortly thereafter.

A few times it wouldn't post, but would power up, then power down after a few moments.

I think this is starting to look like a mobo issue. The "service" shop said that they tried the chip on another board and couldn't get it to post (I'm guessing that they didn't even have a K compatible board), so I'm doubtful regarding any of their analyses.

Any ideas on what else I can try? Should I just take the plunge and go into another 1155 board, any recommendations for quality boards that still might be available on ebay?

Back