i3 ESXi Cluster + Dual NIC's = VT-D?

praetorian

Weaksauce
Heya guys,

Quick and dumb question but my Google foo is failing me :(

I'm building a new budget lab that will be used to host vulnerable instances of Operating Systems (off the web that is) for use in exploitation research and my own personal learning, as I'm a penetration tester by nature, however I'm a little stuck on this. I've already got most of the kit apart from the motherboards and processors. I've modeled this primarily on the use of Intel NUCs are a virtualisation platform which some people have started doing :D

The labs will be based around i3-3220T processors, mainly for low power consumption, running in a cluster on ESXi and I play to use several Intel dual-NIC cards. What I don't know is whether I'll be required to use VT-D capable CPUs to use the dual-NICs. From my research it would say that its not necessary unless I'm wanting to pass through external devices (USB tuners, graphics etc) as everything can be done within virtual switches but I wanted to double check :)

I know that most of the drawbacks of using i3's is that I don't have much headroom to play with (accepted at maybe a maximum of 5 VMs per node) and that I won't be able to use FT (again not required for a training lab) neither are a big worry as its on a tight budget. I've already got a SAN in place, my home Ubuntu server with a large amount of space and NFS setup as a datastore, so the only concern is whether I need to jump up to the i5-3570T just to use the dual NICs.

The full build will be the following:

Antec ISK 300-150
MSI B75IA-E33
Intel Core i3 3220T
Corsair Memory XMS3 16GB
4GB PNY Evolutive Attache Pendrive as boot drives
NIC: Intel LP Dual Network Card

Cheers :)
Dino

If you do not wish to literally pass the dual nics to the guest OS then v-td isn't required at all.

Cheers for the reply Jerky :) Decided in the end to jump straight up to the i7 3770T as it became available so snapped up 2 of them for my cluster. Definitely can't complain over its performance :)

You'd have been fine with the i3s, you'll hit ram limitations well before processor. You'd have been better off putting the money towards as much ram as the boards will support.

RAM is definitely your limiting factor. I have an i5-2500 in my server, and it hardly does anything. My RAM however, is usually maxed out. I need more RAM :D

Back