i1 profiler vs DisplayCAL. Colorimeter and display calibration software.

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
Hi,
I see that most people uses DisplayCAL over the XRite i1 Profiler even using the xrite i1 display pro colorimeter.

What is the sense of using a third party software when xrite give its own software?

Measurements are so different between those two software.
Even the white point measurement is way different with i1 profiler showing 6500K and DisplayCAL 6200K.

I really don't think that with an xrite colorimeter displaycal can be more accurate than the xrite sofyware,
so why people continue to use displaycal?

Have I missed something?

it has more options. Like manual calibration of every color and tone without creating a profile. XRite Profiler is quite limited. It only creates a profile. At least, it was this way the last time I checked. I calibrated my OLED with the DisplayCal software and xrite i1 display pro colorimeter. I don't like custom color profiles as they tend to slow down games, adding lag.

it has more options. Like manual calibration of every color and tone without creating a profile. XRite Profiler is quite limited. It only creates a profile. At least, it was this way the last time I checked. I calibrated my OLED with the DisplayCal software and xrite i1 display pro colorimeter. I don't like custom color profiles as they tend to slow down games, adding lag.

Profiles can't slow down games or add lag as far as I know.
Are you sure of what you are saying?

Thanks

Absolutely, yeah, this is why I don't use profiles except for the windows default, for which I calibrate my displays. If you don't notice it, then you're good to use profiles.

Absolutely, yeah, this is why I don't use profiles except for the windows default, for which I calibrate my displays. If you don't notice it, then you're good to use profiles.

even benchmark does not notice it, don't know how can you notice it :D
most games does not even read the profile so I think that you should reconsider your opinion on this matter :)

even benchmark does not notice it, don't know how can you notice it :D
most games does not even read the profile so I think that you should reconsider your opinion on this matter :)
There is definite lag when using color profile. There is no fucking doubt about it. I have tested it many times.

There is definite lag when using color profile. There is no fucking doubt about it. I have tested it many times.

My man I've been benching since day 1 and I've tested sets of processors memory , and I know what does and doesnt changed scores , and I can say for certain the color profiles dont do anything. If yours scores are changing your looking at the wrong place.

My man I've been benching since day 1 and I've tested sets of processors memory , and I know what does and doesnt changed scores , and I can say for certain the color profiles dont do anything. If yours scores are changing your looking at the wrong place.
It's not the score that the color profile affects, it's the lag that it creates. I can feel it immediately since bf2142 days. The PCs have become significantly more powerful since then, but I can still clearly see it and feel it. So for me as a gamer a color profile is a big no-no. I'd rather live with a not so perfect color fidelity than load a color profile into the gaming system.

Last edited:
It's not the score that the color profile affects, it's the lag that it creates. I can feel it immediately since bf2142 days. The PCs have become significantly more powerful since then, but I can still clearly see it and feel it. So for me as a gamer a color profile is a big no-no. I'd rather live with a not so perfect color fidelity than load a color profile into the gaming system.
There is always a color profile applied regardless of whether you choose one or not, so this doesn't check out unless you are removing the profile fully. I think there was a bug at some point that slowed everything down with profiles but working ideally, they would be loaded in the hardware upstream without an effect on the stream. Not all games read the color profile either, many using linear gamma, their own tables, or other directx oddities. The other possibility is that you are working with color aware games that are darker with a display profile, and panels are inherently slower to refresh with darker tones.

There is always a color profile applied regardless of whether you choose one or not, so this doesn't check out unless you are removing the profile fully. I think there was a bug at some point that slowed everything down with profiles but working ideally, they would be loaded in the hardware upstream without an effect on the stream. Not all games read the color profile either, many using linear gamma, their own tables, or other directx oddities. The other possibility is that you are working with color aware games that are darker with a display profile, and panels are inherently slower to refresh with darker tones.
The default color profile does not add lag or any slow downs in comparison to the custom one. Generally speaking, a profile must add lag, because everything that is displayed on the monitor, goes through it. The default one doesn't have that problem for some reason. This is most likely due to how Microsoft OS works.
Maybe you don't notice it? Try playing your games without custom profile, remove it from the system completely. This is an awkward process, but you can google there are good tutorials on how to accomplish that and clean the system from the custom color profile. Spend some time playing your games with and then without custom color profiles. Personally - I see immediately how noticeably more responsive the system is (not just games - Windows overall) with only the default profile.
But like I think I have already said, if you don't notice the difference, fuck that, man.

The default color profile does not add lag or any slow downs in comparison to the custom one. Generally speaking, a profile must add lag, because everything that is displayed on the monitor, goes through it. The default one doesn't have that problem for some reason. This is most likely due to how Microsoft OS works.
Maybe you don't notice it? Try playing your games without custom profile, remove it from the system completely. This is an awkward process, but you can google there are good tutorials on how to accomplish that and clean the system from the custom color profile. Spend some time playing your games with and then without custom color profiles. Personally - I see immediately how noticeably more responsive the system is (not just games - Windows overall) with only the default profile.
But like I think I have already said, if you don't notice the difference, fuck that, man.

I have read a lot of nonsenses on internet but this one is a big one

This sounds patently untrue especially since I have a hardware tool to measure lag (bodnar device) and never saw evidence of this. Plus there’s been a lot of hardware review sites that test both calibration of monitors and input lag in the same review so I expect they would have noticed it too.
Best I could find, some reddit posters claimed that intel 200 chipsets had an issue circa 2018 where ICC profiles caused lag, haven’t looked into further.

Would love to see actual proof. For me, I usually use the software to adjust my monitor using the osd then uninstall the software. Gets me pretty close to accurate, gets my white point perfect, and I can hardly tell a difference between running a custom ICC at that point.

It's either going through a default profile or a custom profile.
Speed of default profile = Speed of custom profile

Holy shit color profiles do not add ANY lag. It is not a post processing effect that has to be calculated on a fly, it is more like a map that redirects the color on fly into a internally wrong color, which ends up showing as a correct color on your imperfect monitor IF it is actually capable of showing the said color (IE it cannot go beyond the color gamut etc...) With no profile the color signal goes 1:1 into your monitor. With profile the color is remapped like a bullet ricochetting on something it cannot penetrate into another color based on calculations that were done during the calibration process. More measurements taken during calibration, more likely it ends up being correct color even if that exact shade was not measured. Calculations were done during the calibration, and in use it all happens on fly with no lag added on top.

Back