I Wrote a Plugin for GNOME Image Viewer to Sort by Modify Date

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
I love GNOME Image Viewer (Eye of GNOME) because it is so minimal and functional. I've tried other image viewers but they are too cluttered.

But one thing that was bothering me is that when you navigate through the images (by pressing the arrow keys or clicking next) it defaults to alphabetic order.

So I wrote a plugin that allows sorting images by modification date (with an option to reverse the sort order). This is a huge quality of life improvement. Now it works perfect.

Tested on Ubuntu 21.10 and it's fully supported, but should work on any distro where EOG is available for install. I released the code free open-source GPL3 license.

You can download here: https://github.com/cybereality/eog-modified-date-plugin/

I love GNOME Image Viewer (Eye of GNOME) because it is so minimal and functional. I've tried other image viewers but they are too cluttered.

But one thing that was bothering me is that when you navigate through the images (by pressing the arrow keys or clicking next) it defaults to alphabetic order.

So I wrote a plugin that allows sorting images by modification date (with an option to reverse the sort order). This is a huge quality of life improvement. Now it works perfect.

Tested on Ubuntu 21.10 and it's fully supported, but should work on any distro where EOG is available for install. I released the code free open-source GPL3 license.

You can download here: https://github.com/cybereality/eog-modified-date-plugin/
I'll give the viewer & your plugin a try. I run KDE Plasma but I don't mind using other DE's apps when necessary (GPartEd to name one).

What people need to do is start taking their computer ownership back to themselves. Microsoft is the cancer of the society along with social media like Facebook and Twitter.

Very cool. Gotta love open source... and sane plugin frameworks.
Yeah, the plug-in framework was great. Except there was almost no documentation, and the one tutorial was a hello world and that was it.

So I spent about 2 days solid scouring the internet for obscure Stack Overflow comments to figure it out. But it works nice now.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
What people need to do is start taking their computer ownership back to themselves. Microsoft is the cancer of the society along with social media like Facebook and Twitter.
Yeah. Like MS changed the Windows 11 photos app to have this huge menu on the top and people asking on the MS forums how to disable it we're basically told to take a hike.

Yeah, the plug-in framework was great. Except there was almost no documentation, and the one tutorial was a hello world and that was it.

So I spent about 2 days solid scouring the internet for obscure Stack Overflow comments to figure it out. But it works nice now.

Fair... ok sane but not well documented. I would have assumed EOG would have had at least a decent min bit of documentation.
Cool plugin by the way. I know EOG is going for minimal but really a sort by option should be standard. :)

Fair... ok sane but not well documented. I would have assumed EOG would have had at least a decent min bit of documentation.
Yeah, well there was actually some documentation. EOG uses other open source components for many things, and those were documented.

But there were some EOG specific functionality that was hard to find. Yes, if you knew what to search for you could figure it out, but they could have provided links or some hints.

So how do you get rid of it? It looks like this is now included with the latest Ubuntu. It now has a mostly blank "sorted by" column on the left with a couple buttons labeled "Folders" and "Month". This has no obvious use and clicking on the buttons doesn't do much. It's just wasting a lot of screen space, even in supposed full screen mode.

So how do you get rid of it? It looks like this is now included with the latest Ubuntu. It now has a mostly blank "sorted by" column on the left with a couple buttons labeled "Folders" and "Month". This has no obvious use and clicking on the buttons doesn't do much. It's just wasting a lot of screen space, even in supposed full screen mode.

Uncheck the plugin in the preferences dialog (basically, opposite of what they say for config on the github wiki:

Screenshot_20220110-222943.jpg

My plug-in simply changes the order of images in the slideshow, or when you press the arrow keys. It doesn't display any information.

That bar is called the "side pane" and you can show/hide it with the 3 dot icon and choose "show" and then unselect "side pane". You can also click the "x" icon.

1641875878540.png

Unless I am misunderstanding. can you provide a screenshot?

For some reason deselecting the "side pane" didn't remove it. In fact, it was already deselected when I went there, which was before posted my question. Selecting it and deselecting did not remove it. Looks like maybe it's not initialized correctly in the latest release of Ubuntu.

However, I've now gotten rid of it by going to the Preferences>Plug-in menu and unselecting the options there.

Thanks for your help.

Can you provide a screenshot? I still don't know what you are talking about (I'm on the latest Ubuntu).

I'm not sure what you want a screenshot of. I've already made the side pane go away, so a screen shot of the current program won't tell you much. I did not make a screenshot of the program before I did that.

Back