I would like advice on a new waterblock.

M.D.K.

Limp Gawd
Hello!

I'm going to be going back to watercooling for a second time, and I'd like some suggestions for a new block! A lot has changed since my first go with a s478 and a DD RBX.

This time around, I'd want to go with a 2 barb style block. The 3 barb like that 939 adds too much unnecessary tubing IMO and are a big pain to run, especially since this time everything (cpu, nb, sli) will be getting wet and I'll have a lot more tubes to deal with!

The block will be running in a loop with itself, a DD DFI NF4 Expert chipset cooler, will have a Aquatube style res, a single 120mm rad, a passive rad, and will be powered with either the Ehiem HPPS I have or a second pump of similar size I'm going to buy. The tubing will be 3/8" ID

I was looking at the Storm, but I'm not sure if that loop described above woul be considered high flow due to the pump. I also like the TDX but dont see too many people running them, are they any good?

M.D.K. said:
Hello!

I'm going to be going back to watercooling for a second time, and I'd like some suggestions for a new block! A lot has changed since my first go with a s478 and a DD RBX.

This time around, I'd want to go with a 2 barb style block. The 3 barb like that 939 adds too much unnecessary tubing IMO and are a big pain to run, especially since this time everything (cpu, nb, sli) will be getting wet and I'll have a lot more tubes to deal with!

The block will be running in a loop with itself, a DD DFI NF4 Expert chipset cooler, will have a Aquatube style res, a single 120mm rad, a passive rad, and will be powered with either the Ehiem HPPS I have or a second pump of similar size I'm going to buy. The tubing will be 3/8" ID

I was looking at the Storm, but I'm not sure if that loop described above woul be considered high flow due to the pump. I also like the TDX but dont see too many people running them, are they any good?

swiftech storm rev.2

You dont think my medium sized pumps are too small? Or that the smaller tubes and extra... items in the loop will cut down on flow too much for a Storm to work the way its designed (high flow)?

You might want to wait as in a few days the Cuplex XT review will be up at SystemCooling. It would make a good addition to your present line-up with a 3/8" barb.

How long is "a few days"? I'm having my radiators milled this week and I kind of wanted to have a block before the weekend to do testing, and since AQ stuff takes forever to get a hold of... yeah.

Review should be out this week sometime. I was at Sharka yesterday and I think they had Cuplex XT's, Pro's, and Evo's in stock.

Ooh well it certainly wins in the aesthetics department! Thanks for the heads up.

The HPPS pump is a 12v Eheim 1046 with the head rating of an Eheim 1048 - not exactly powerful, but enough to drive that loop (I had an HPPS pushing 4 blocks and 2 rads). The only thing is that you probably won't get the greatesat results from it and the waterblock with all that stuff.

As for a good block, I would reccomend an Alphacool NexXxos XP (the full nickel plated copper or plexi Lite version) for a good block. It has performance similar to a Storm G4 and costs about half that of the Cuplex XT while offering similar (if not better) performance.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. I think I'm just going to oder a new top for the RBX for testing, to give myself more time to shop around for a proper replacement.

Storm or rev 2 but w/ the rev2 out it seems all rev1's are gone. Anyone got any temps on rev 2?

The Storm performs quite admirably at lower flowrates. The Apogee is also a good choice, and comes in at a much lower price. Other blocks like the AE MP-05 and EK Wave are also reasonable choices.

It's hard to go wrong when it comes to current blocks. Pick the one that will perform well at the kind of flowrates you're seeing in your loop, its appearance and the price.

http://www.employees.org/~slf/lrwb/storm/faq.html

check the entry regarding reccomended pumps.

the storm is rated to work fine with a pump as small as the 1046, in a loop including a rad and GPU block. the added head of the HPPS version should allow it to work fine with the added blocks.

since the storm is a good bit less restrictive than the nexxos XP, the storm is better suited for use in a multiple block loop.

Back