I wonder when.. Flexible LCD's

dashpuppy

Supreme [H]ardness
We all know that Samsung & others are working on flexible THIN VERY THIN lcd's...

I wonder when they are going to make a lcd that you buy in tube like a poster.. When you receive it you un-roll it and mount it on your wall or some type of stand.

I for one would like to have one 70" wide lcd and about 15-18" tall ALL one big long screen with out breaks or lines and be able to curve it..

Other's thoughts ?

This would be really cool technology. Also, could use smaller pieces powered off a battery (or maybe electricity shot from somewhere else through the air) and wrap them around parts of your body as art. You could wrap it around your wrist and have a programmable bracelet, around your neck or arm and make it look like tattoos, or even around your penis as a custom penis sheath.

Most of the display demos, that I've seen, that are flexible to the point of being able to rolled up to a small diameter, are OLED, not LCD. I've been waiting for something like this to show up for sale, at a reasonable price, for at least 10 years, if not longer, though I haven't been holding my breath.

Supposedly large OLED TVs will finally launch in 2012. If that actually happens, then I might start to believe that, similarly large flexible displays could become available, before yet another decade has passed.

As far as I know, there's still not a good solution for the low lifetime of the blue OLED pixels. If that remains unfixed, then OLEDs are going to need to become cheap enough that they're disposable ever few years, to truly replace LCD in larger displays.

Most of the display demos, that I've seen, that are flexible to the point of being able to rolled up to a small diameter, are OLED, not LCD. I've been waiting for something like this to show up for sale, at a reasonable price, for at least 10 years, if not longer, though I haven't been holding my breath.

Supposedly large OLED TVs will finally launch in 2012. If that actually happens, then I might start to believe that, similarly large flexible displays could become available, before yet another decade has passed.

As far as I know, there's still not a good solution for the low lifetime of the blue OLED pixels. If that remains unfixed, then OLEDs are going to need to become cheap enough that they're disposable ever few years, to truly replace LCD in larger displays.

sorry got the 2 technologies mixed up, i did mean oled. I see it to be, when you buy a tv in 10 years it will come in a tube, you take it home un roll it onto the wall / special stand and plug in a clip on the bottom and POOF you have tv.

Imagine the threads on [H]>Displays then. "How do I ensure my unrolled TV is flat?" "How do I make a regularly curved surface for my new 180"x40" TV?"

There was a time when aluminum was more exotic than gold. The tip of the Washington monument is capped in aluminum because at the time it was the super fancy, super expensive, new high-tech metal. The day may yet come when OLED displays trule are "disposably cheap".

Imagine the threads on [H]>Displays then. "How do I ensure my unrolled TV is flat?" "How do I make a regularly curved surface for my new 180"x40" TV?"

There was a time when aluminum was more exotic than gold. The tip of the Washington monument is capped in aluminum because at the time it was the super fancy, super expensive, new high-tech metal. The day may yet come when OLED displays trule are "disposably cheap".

hmmm about 40" by 30", with a 20" parabolic curve, and glasses free 3d... stick you head into the monitor :D

flexible/curved screens would be damned cool.

how would opacity be dealt with for such a screen? i know that with oled, there is no need for a back light, and the leds themselves produce the light, but what it the natural state of the oled, black and there for opaque? simi-transparent? not quite clear? (more akin to a frosted window, rather than a sheet of glass) i suspect it would be black/opaque, but it would have to have a coating on the back side, like mylar, to keep the wall behind it from bleeding through while active... lets just hope it isnt mylar, and something more durable, that wont get fucked up by finger prints.

hmmm about 40" by 30", with a 20" parabolic curve, and glasses free 3d... stick you head into the monitor :D

flexible/curved screens would be damned cool.

how would opacity be dealt with for such a screen? i know that with oled, there is no need for a back light, and the leds themselves produce the light, but what it the natural state of the oled, black and there for opaque? simi-transparent? not quite clear? (more akin to a frosted window, rather than a sheet of glass) i suspect it would be black/opaque, but it would have to have a coating on the back side, like mylar, to keep the wall behind it from bleeding through while active... lets just hope it isnt mylar, and something more durable, that wont get fucked up by finger prints.

flexable would be sweet, and my point. then you could curve it around you to make one huge wide screen.

wasnt there a news link about this already? need to look for the link... but its all over the web.. this is coming very soon.

Even better, by looking at the tech article on wikipedia, they can stack the colors right on each other. creating insane pixels densities 4k + at 20" resolutions are within reach. Insane refresh rates as well, faster than that of plasma displays... I know a lot of this is old news... but the tech is finally starting to mature to the point where production is feasable, and prices are affordable.

I wonder how deep 3D can be perceived in a parabolic shaped screen.

I want 4 of them, bezel to bezel, so i can sit in the middle and be able to spin in circles.

Edit: get yer heads out of the gutter ok? :p

I wonder how deep 3D can be perceived in a parabolic shaped screen.

I want 4 of them, bezel to bezel, so i can sit in the middle and be able to spin in circles.

Edit: get yer heads out of the gutter ok? :p

But I can't think of a better purpose for such a setup!

This is probably a good time to remind folks that there is a post at the top of this forum with some additional rules for the Display forum. The part that you should pay close attention to is:

....From now on, there will be no more warnings, no more infractions. We have tried that and they have clearly not gotten the job done. Here are the new rules for this forum, effective until things are back under control.

• First infractable offense - 7 day ban.
  • Second infractable offense - 30 day ban.
  • Third infractable offense - 90 day ban, followed by a permanent ban from this forum or a complete forum ban, at the administrator's discretion (one of which is me).

This is not optional, and it's not up for discussion.....

I have said it before, and I will say it again - you guys can debate, even argue the facts all you want. But, when it turns personal, folks will get infracted or banned as required to make the point. That is completely under your control.

Last edited:
Back