I wonder how it crunches... 64c/256t booting winderp

Patriot

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2011/June 2013/De

KNL (knights landing) version of the Xeon Phi is now bootable, as opposed to being a coprocessor last gen.
7210 is the "cheap" one at $2438 ... Still a bit rich for my blood but I can drool over it.

Thought you fellow DCers would be interested.

pututu

[H]ard DCOTM x2
Thanks for the update. Supermicro seems to sell this but need to contact them for the price and comes in a complete configured system. Only runs on Linux based on their website. Wondering how this would do in WCG in terms of power and points. Anyone with deep pockets? :)

Patriot

Thanks for the update. Supermicro seems to sell this but need to contact them for the price and comes in a complete configured system. Only runs on Linux based on their website. Wondering how this would do in WCG in terms of power and points. Anyone with deep pockets? :)
IIRC the full dev system from intel runs 6k.

If anyone wants to help me create a docker image Patrick is more than willing to run it on his server.
I am on slack right now trying to figure out if they will stone me if I stick fah in a docker image.... since that supports AVX it would be a nice test of the server as well.

fastgeek

[H]ard|DCOTM x3 aka "That Company"
*looks at $100K Dell R930 sitting near me*

*Laughs at "expensive" KNL box*

Best part is, it's not my money. :D

We use SMC a lot; but no idea if we'll be getting any of these. That being said, if I can come up with a legitimate business reason, we can get sample systems pretty easily. And, no, I'm afraid DC crunching projects don't qualify. :p

pututu

[H]ard DCOTM x2
*looks at $100K Dell R930 sitting near me*

*Laughs at "expensive" KNL box*

Best part is, it's not my money. :D

We use SMC a lot; but no idea if we'll be getting any of these. That being said, if I can come up with a legitimate business reason, we can get sample systems pretty easily. And, no, I'm afraid DC crunching projects don't qualify. :p
I contacted Supermicro for a quote. A full system with the spec below is $4,298. Anyone interested?
upload_2016-12-16_22-21-2.png

Patriot

Parting it out.... $700 for board and labor.
$2438 Phi
$400 SM863
$390 (6x 2400t rdimms)
$100 750w Seasonic
$200 Chassis (or 300 with 750w seasonic included)
$??? Board
$??? Labor
$4298

Even if it is a $200 board... $500 labor is completely reasonable for a system this expensive.

pjkenned

[H]ard|Gawd
Remember this also has a custom closed loop water cooler. Not a high volume unit since there is only a low few thousand machines that can use it. Need to add that in the price.

Board is likely $350+ if you could buy it.

Running monero mining this beats dual E5-2698 v4 at lower power and cost.

pututu

[H]ard DCOTM x2
Remember this also has a custom closed loop water cooler. Not a high volume unit since there is only a low few thousand machines that can use it. Need to add that in the price.

Board is likely $350+ if you could buy it.

Running monero mining this beats dual E5-2698 v4 at lower power and cost.
Do you happen to have any BOINC projects performance/efficiency data such as WCG? That would be interesting though I wouldn't be able to afford this monster right now.