I will never buy anything from ASUS again

I bought a PB278Q ASUS monitor for about $700 a year ago. Bad mistake.

The monitor was defective. The settings buttons didn't work, and it also had a bright red stuck pixel as well as other pixel flaws. I didn't notice this until too late to return it to newegg, because my motherboard was DOA and I didn't have any way to turn the monitor on. By the time my motherboard was replaced I couldn't return the monitor.

Enter the horrendous ASUS RMA process. At first I thought everything would go fine. I wrote an E-mail to them requesting an RMA and was told to go to a page on their website. I went there to fill out the information for the RMA, but the page didn't work. It turns out this is because the page only works with Internet Explorer. I tried three other browsers before realizing this.

I can't even remember everything I had to do to complete this RMA, because it took a year of going through the process before I finally got a replacement. I remember I had to call their offices, E-mail dozens of times, fill out forms on websites, open support tickets, Fax forms to them, the list of steps goes on and on.

Frequently they would stop responding to me and I would have to prompt them to continue the process. On multiple occasions they promised to reply to me by a certain date, only to fail to do so. One of the last steps in their process is to Fax a form to them after printing it and filling it out. This step must be completed in 48 hours or else you need to start over the last part of the process again. I sent this form to them five different times before it was finally accepted. One of the times I missed a signature on it, they have many signatures required and highlight all but one of the boxes.

It's hard to fill out a form and Fax it in a 48 hour time window when you never know when the company is going to start their timer. They reply to support tickets whenever they feel like it, or not at all. I don't check my E-mail every single day, because my life doesn't revolve around the ASUS RMA process.

After finally getting through this hellish process and receiving my replacement monitor, I am disappointed to see that it has many screen defects. I count over a dozen dead pixels. There is also a black horizontal bar going across the screen that is half an inch long.

I will never buy another product from ASUS again. Their products are defective, their customer support is nonexistent, and their RMA process was clearly intentionally designed to discourage people from completing it. I put in two support tickets asking for another RMA, it has been over a week since I did this and I haven't had any response.

Last edited:
File a chargeback if you bought it with a CC and tell Asus to keep their defective monitors.

I do a lot of things that use ASUS.

That being said one of them has never been a monitor.

Maybe ASUS can do the right thing and send you a new monitor.

That's a serious monitor and they should stand by their product.

You are still be under warranty for sure. This is why it's sometimes worth buying from a a retail store. My local store has a cheap $10 dead pixel policy for 30 days or something like that. I tend to get it just to avoid these strange cases.

I was looking at similar ASUS's monitors back then as well, but decided on a Samsung.

ASUS I'd have to say from everything I've ever seen is a bit "sketchy" on customer support.

I love their Mobos myself though and have never needed to return one.

Have a DCII R9 280x TOP too I guess.

The monitors I've never tried I suppose.

Guys, I'm not a fan of Asus like others that have been stiffed by them.
But this guy has only made one post, the op.
Not sure I would take anything seriously.

fyi

Maybe ASUS can do the right thing and send you a new monitor.

That's a serious monitor and they should stand by their product.

You are still be under warranty for sure. This is why it's sometimes worth buying from a a retail store. My local store has a cheap $10 dead pixel policy for 30 days or something like that. I tend to get it just to avoid these strange cases.

I was looking at similar ASUS's monitors back then as well, but decided on a Samsung.

It's not even worth pursuing it any longer at this point. I have dealt with a year of frustration with ASUS already, I am not going to schedule my life around them. I will just never buy anything from them again. I'm also going to file a complaint with the BBB.

Guys, I'm not a fan of Asus like others that have been stiffed by them.
But this guy has only made one post, the op.
Not sure I would take anything seriously.

fyi

I'm being totally honest. I only registered here to complain about Asus after my experience with their products and customer service. I'm not the only one who has had to deal with their horrible RMA process, just use use a search engine. This particular monitor has also had numerous reports of defective settings buttons.

Last edited:
File a chargeback if you bought it with a CC and tell Asus to keep their defective monitors.

You have 60 days for a domestic charge back, 90 for international.

I suspect he is a bit over the limit.

Doesn't make it right, just means a charge back is unlikely to work.

I'm being totally honest. I only registered here to complain about Asus after my experience with their products and customer service. I'm not the only one who has had to deal with their horrible RMA process, just use use a search engine. This particular monitor has also had numerous reports of defective settings buttons.

We get your frustration but you do only have a couple of posts now and its very common to see people come in to whine about something just to bad mouth it and see they are brand new to the form with 1 post. If there was a thread and the problem was more widespread and talked about here on the forums then that would lend credit to your beef.

That being said ASUS does have a lousy RMA reputation. But my ASUS monitor has been going strong for a while now.

I don't understand why people do all this emailing about stuff like this. If I want something from ASUS they are going to hear from me directly. And I'm going to make it clear that I'm in a hurry. I recognize your life doesn't revolve around the Asus RMA process, but that doesn't excuse you from the red tape if you want actual results. Asus is well known to replace warranty claims with other returned/refurbished units across the board--moral of the story: test your tech purchases thoroughly before your return period with the retailer is up; if you think newegg RMA is bad well, this thread. Don't be lazy. Take care of it NOW. If your board is doa you need to find a way to test the other items you received or send them back too. A month for a replacement board through NE means they were waiting on you to send a replacement (they typically send out replacements the sane day defective items are received) or you didn't test it right after receiving it. Fwiw I'm really sorry about the monitor.

You didn't have *any* way to see if the monitor worked? And it took you a month to get a working motherboard? And you forgot a form signature at least once? And you can't be troubled to check your email every day? And apparently you never called in?

You might be unlucky, and Asus RMA might suck, however you could have done multiple things better regarding this situation. The fax step is full retard as well. Who faxes shit in 2014?!?

Last edited:
Benq don't seem to be much better from my experience. The quality control and customer service of these companies is worryingly poor imo

I bought a couple of Asus BM6875 desktop computers a year ago, partly because of the claims they made on their web site regarding the use of higher-quality components, something you hardly ever see other manufacturers touting (because they can't).

I have been happy with the desktop units. I guess their displays are a different matter.

I don't understand why people do all this emailing about stuff like this. If I want something from ASUS they are going to hear from me directly. And I'm going to make it clear that I'm in a hurry. I recognize your life doesn't revolve around the Asus RMA process, but that doesn't excuse you from the red tape if you want actual results. Asus is well known to replace warranty claims with other returned/refurbished units across the board--moral of the story: test your tech purchases thoroughly before your return period with the retailer is up; if you think newegg RMA is bad well, this thread. Don't be lazy. Take care of it NOW. If your board is doa you need to find a way to test the other items you received or send them back too. A month for a replacement board through NE means they were waiting on you to send a replacement (they typically send out replacements the sane day defective items are received) or you didn't test it right after receiving it. Fwiw I'm really sorry about the monitor.

I went through the red tape for a year and had one defective monitor replaced with another defective monitor. This time I filed a formal complaint and am doing it through the Better Business Bureau.

You didn't have *any* way to see if the monitor worked? And it took you a month to get a working motherboard? And you forgot a form signature at least once? And you can't be troubled to check your email every day? And apparently you never called in?

You might be unlucky, and Asus RMA might suck, however you could have done multiple things better regarding this situation. The fax step is full retard as well. Who faxes shit in 2014?!?

I missed a signature the 4th time I sent the form in. They write me E-mails whenever they want to, and I don't check my E-mail everyday. Every time the number on the form changes and they don't keep the old one. I have to drive out of my way to go to a place that can fax the form for me. It is a huge hassle. Asus has intentionally made their RMA process so that people will not complete it. It's bordering on fraudulent.

If you want more proof of issues with this monitor just look at reviews on Newegg. Multiple people are reporting the need to RMA it multiple times before they get one that isn't defective. I don't have the time to RMA multiple times through Asus because it took me a year to do it the first time. Hopefully they are more professional when dealing with the BBB.

It isn't my job to babysit Asus customer support, if they want me to do that they can pay me to be a manager.

Last edited:
Do yourself a huge favor next time you buy a monitor/tv

Go to a brick and mortar store to buy it. If it is defective your a short trip away from a replacement or your money back. You can also make sure your happy with the quality of the product as most stores have display models.

Customer service/Support for a lot of computer companies is a big hit or miss. Don't take the chance if you don't have to.

Sorry for your troubles OP.

ASUS really does suck. I bought the same monitor over a year ago. Tried it for a week and then returned it to Amazon for a replacement. Both units suffered from horrendous backlight bleed. Got my money back and have not bought an ASUS item since.

Now, I make it a point to steer people away from ASUS. Ever since the NVIDIA 8000 mobile series fiasco and ASUS doing shit to fix the G1S laptops, ASUS just doesn't deserve any respect.

I would contact Newegg about it.

When ASUS did the same type of thing to me, I contacted Newegg and they set me up with an RMA and refunded me the original purchase price on a 2 year old x58 motherboard.

Just make sure to just ask them if they can do anything since ASUS has failed in their RMA support.

A phone call would probably work best. And make sure to be courteous.

Of course I have been buying stuff from them since they first opened up their website, so that may have had something to do with it.

Do yourself a huge favor next time you buy a monitor/tv

Go to a brick and mortar store to buy it. If it is defective your a short trip away from a replacement or your money back. You can also make sure your happy with the quality of the product as most stores have display models.

Customer service/Support for a lot of computer companies is a big hit or miss. Don't take the chance if you don't have to.

This is what I recommend and try to do as much as I can. It's awful nice to just take a ride down the street and have an actual person behind an actual customer service desk to talk to especially when buying something as important and prone to defects as a monitor is.

I've probably been through ASUS RMA 3-4 times in the last 10+ years in the course of owning dozens of ASUS products. Each experience has been similar to yours. I feel like I'm totally rolling the dice on their RMAs. I do buy with an Amex, and if something fails after the return period, I will wait for the shitty ~1 year warranty to expire and then call the credit card company and work with them. You could do something similar with Squaretrade. Since you bought it on Newegg, I highly recommend pinging them on the reviews section and giving them a 1 star review. Sometimes they respond to that.

Asus is very close to being a no-warranty company, and after getting over my initial reaction to their policies, I just now imagine that the price on all ASUS products is for a no-warranty item. If it's still justified, I will buy it. My 2nd monitor is an ASUS as it's basically perfect, but if it wasn't I would either A) return it to Amazon or B) wait for the 1 year to be up (as above). It's one reason why I will never buy a video card from them, since companies like eVGA are a billion times better on RMAs.

Just to note something, I think all major brands suck on RMA with monitors.

Just to note something, I think all major brands suck on RMA with monitors.

Possibly true, but I find Dell to be a reasonable exception to that (within the limits of their defined policies, they do not suck.)

Monitors are the only thing I buy that are Dell personally.

They seem to do them well, IMHO.

I have several Asus products, but only one RMA experience. This was several years ago when my previous computer's "CPU retention bracket" broke. I called up Asus and it was relatively painless for them to send me a new CPU retention bracket. Perhaps the the RMA process has gotten worse with Asus since then.

I'm 9Plus weeks into ASUS RMA HELL 1st 3 weeks THEY assured me I could cross ship my DEFECTIVE Z77 Mini ITX board with Wireless display adapter whose USB controller failed and would NO longer boot into windows, I Have Had to REPEATEDLY call Them for HOURS to get Hung up on 30 plus mins into THEIR Phone tree, get put on hold and hung up on, then they finally admitted that they didn't have a replacement board so then i wasted ANOTHER 2 PLUS weeks doing a Standard RMA AT MY EXPENSE!!!!!!, tHE REPLACEMENT BOARD that ASUS FINALLY sent me from their PTSI channel 2 repair facility ,(in Jeffersonville Indiana), Which was MISSING the Intel Centrino network and Wireless Display adapter,(the VERY Reason I BOUGHT That particular in the 1st Place, and have spent the balance of time TRYING to get My Issue resolved by either send me the MISSING pieces and screws that they Failed to send, with My Replacement Or give me a VALID RMA NUMBER to Resolve my Issue, Way to GO ASUS! And I was LONG TIME Customer too! =(

sorry i was searching for asus bad customer service rma issues, and this popped up, thanks for letting me know noobie and have a nice weekend:D

I bought a PB278Q ASUS monitor for about $700 a year ago. Bad mistake.

The monitor was defective. The settings buttons didn't work, and it also had a bright red stuck pixel as well as other pixel flaws. I didn't notice this until too late to return it to newegg, because my motherboard was DOA and I didn't have any way to turn the monitor on. By the time my motherboard was replaced I couldn't return the monitor.

You asked for it. I think whenever anyone needs to go through an RMA process, it becomes a nightmare. You will find many threads about "don't buy it from manufacturer XYZ", "never buy again from newegg", etc. You will run into the same problem regardless of where or whom you buy it from.

This is one of few monitors that is worth buying (meets my criteria). You are scaring me now. :(

Back