I was just gifted Crysis. What should I know?

BallerX

[H]ard|Gawd
My brother just gifted me Crysis on Steam. Are there any tweaks I should consider before playing it?

The only "tweak" you should consider is a GTX 480 tri-SLI setup. :)

/troll

The only "tweak" you should consider is a GTX 480 tri-SLI setup. :)

/troll

Rofl , thats so true. Otherwise just play it and have fun .. oh and don't expect patches for anything Crytek isn't supporting it anymore.

My monitor is 1280x1024. I don't think I'll have too much trouble. I probably wont attempt to play it on my TV.

I really just want to play the Mech Warrior LL mod.

Your CPU is fast, and your GPU isn't bad either. Just don't turn everything to the right and you'll be fine.

Apparently not...

Gets to the end of the airplane scene when you are about to jump and locks up my whole PC. Have to do a hard shut down. Dammit, I just want to shoot people.:mad:

WTF?

I updated my card drivers and I got to the part where you have to rush to aztec. As soon as I got there, it locked up my PC again. The video card apparently crashes and my monitor goes into standby then the sound starts looping. PC is hard locked. I can't do anything. This is seriously annoying. I think I might see if they can give my brother his money back. Holy crap what a POS.

Last edited:
What settings are you trying to run it at and at what resolution?

Crysis can bring almost any system to a halt if settings are high..

See if you can find any damage/gunplay mods, or just play on Delta difficulty.

My monitor is 1280x1024. I don't think I'll have too much trouble. I probably wont attempt to play it on my TV.

I really just want to play the Mech Warrior LL mod.

i highly recommend the MWLL mod.. screw crysis as a game.. boring as shit.. you want to blow shit up, MWLL is your best friend.. and theres a new update coming in a couple weeks that should make the mod even more exciting.. ive taken a 2 month break from the game after spending almost 6 months straight playing it.. now im just waiting for the update..

MWLL should also run a lot better on that 5750 then the actual crysis game..

I'm running it at 1280x1024. The game runs perfectly. Dare I say smooth. The problem is it keeps hard locking my PC every five minutes. (after every cut scene)

I have tried to run it in DX9. I've got the newest drivers. I can't run any MOD if I can't run the game.

All of the settings are at high under advanced.
Full screen and no vsync.
It takes a dump at the end of every cut scene. Monitor goes to standby and the PC hard locks.

This system is 100% stable. I've run linx for hours and I have never had a problem with any other game.

I even turned off catalyst AI.

I'm running it at 1280x1024. The game runs perfectly. Dare I say smooth. The problem is it keeps hard locking my PC every five minutes. (after every cut scene)

I have tried to run it in DX9. I've got the newest drivers. I can't run any MOD if I can't run the game.

All of the settings are at high under advanced.
Full screen and no vsync.
It takes a dump at the end of every cut scene. Monitor goes to standby and the PC hard locks.

This system is 100% stable. I've run linx for hours and I have never had a problem with any other game.

I even turned off catalyst AI.

my guess the problem is driver related but i would try turning down some of the settings and see if that fixes anything..

and yeah you can run MWLL even if the single player in crysis doesnt work right since there are no cut scenes in MWLL its an online only mod and isnt as demanding as crysis is, well until you get into a 32 person server thats completely full because the multiplayer engine removes a lot of features in the game..

also whats your ram usage/cpu usage in the game? and im guessing you are using the 32bit version of crysis correct?

maybe want to check cryteks forum see if maybe anyones had the same issues and has a fix for it.. you could try going back to the 10.8a drivers see if that fixes it..

Ok I seem to have a handle on the situation. I'm not sure what did it but I was able to play for a little while without a crash.

Of course, I did ton of things.
The last thing I tried was to run the DX program in the game directory. Even though I ran the web updater this seemed to have added some things.

I restarted the PC and played for about an hour. I'm going to sleep for a while. If this fix holds up, the next thing I am doing is installing the MW:LL Mod. Later. The game is pretty much boring. Cloak-Flank-Kill. Luring the enemy into one of those trailers by the half dozen and then picking them as they come out the door is fun. I wont feel any real satisfaction until I slam that first rail gun round into another Mech.

Lets just hope this thing stays working. I will start to undo the things I have changed. The game actually ran faster in DX10.:confused:

I have a feeling it was that little DX update that they hid in the game folder.;)

Ok I seem to have a handle on the situation. I'm not sure what did it but I was able to play for a little while without a crash.

Of course, I did ton of things.
The last thing I tried was to run the DX program in the game directory. Even though I ran the web updater this seemed to have added some things.

I restarted the PC and played for about an hour. I'm going to sleep for a while. If this fix holds up, the next thing I am doing is installing the MW:LL Mod. Later. The game is pretty much boring. Cloak-Flank-Kill. Luring the enemy into one of those trailers by the half dozen and then picking them as they come out the door is fun. I wont feel any real satisfaction until I slam that first rail gun round into another Mech.

Lets just hope this thing stays working. I will start to undo the things I have changed. The game actually ran faster in DX10.:confused:

I have a feeling it was that little DX update that they hid in the game folder.;)

Play the game on Delta.
Play the game on Delta.
Play the game on Delta.

Not on HARD. Play the game on Delta.
Any other setting and you would be right, boring. Play the game on Delta.

And I recommend the link NaturalViolence posted. I was about to post it for you.
I think, the real fun to have with this game is playing with the 1,600 console commands that change EVERYTHING.
Crysis is the most amazing engine I have ever played with. The amount of customization, in console, is fucking incredible.

Play the game on Delta.
Play the game on Delta.
Play the game on Delta.

Not on HARD. Play the game on Delta.
Any other setting and you would be right, boring. Play the game on Delta.

And I recommend the link NaturalViolence posted. I was about to post it for you.
I think, the real fun to have with this game is playing with the 1,600 console commands that change EVERYTHING.
Crysis is the most amazing engine I have ever played with. The amount of customization, in console, is fucking incredible.

lol giving the engine a little to much credit there.. its all the same console commands that have existed for years in things like RTCW, and ET:QW.. the single player engine in crysis is nice but the multiplayer engine in crysis wars is far more optimized..

Well apparently I wasn't out of the woods on it. It just hard locked me in the middle of the tank level. So, it's not just cut scenes like before. It has got to be a video problem of some sort. Probably the driver. I think I am going to use driver sweeper and try the tweak force catalyst.

I really don't know what else to do at this point. I have that guide in my favorites already.

I haven't played Crysis in a while but last time I did I had to run one of the early 9.x Catalyst drivers to make it work right (my problem was just on one level though). I don't recall exactly which one but I think it was 9.3.

If that is the case, then my brother needs his money back or they need to let me pick a game of equal value. This game is a POS.

There is no way I'm going back to 9.3 because those drivers don't support the 5750. I think my roommate has a similar problem with EQ. It does the exact same thing at random times. EQ says to use 9.3 or 9.4 also. I think I'm screwed on this one. That really pisses me off.:mad:

I had similar problems at one point. I found it that Crysis was pulling more power than my other games, and my UPS couldn't output enough power. This caused my machine to hardlock, set off the UPS alarm and or shut the whole UPS down. This is how I found out that most 1500VA UPSes only actually put out about 900 watts or so.

Well Dan. I just tried it on my roommates PC that is exactly the same as mine except for the power supply. His is a Corsair 850. It does the exact same thing. His components are 100% identical except for that. This is the same problem he has been having with EQ. It does the exact same thing and like I said, EQ says they don't support the 5XXX series video cards. The problem isn't related to load at all. The video driver is taking a giant dump and bringing my system down with it. It shuts off my display and about two seconds later the PC hard locks.

I have run every stability test on this machine known to man. It has never crossed the 400W barrier even when it is running Furmark and P95 at the same time. I have checked, and the CPU usage isn't exceptionally high when the game is playing and all of my components are staying cool.

EDIT
After reading a bit more, the same thing has been happening with Nvidia cards but they CTD and don't lock the entire PC up. The game is apparently unplayable with any video card and new drivers.

Thanks for giving a shit Crytek. Can't forget to thank Valve for selling my brother a bump game and not saying anything about it.

Last edited:
Well Dan. I just tried it on my roommates PC that is exactly the same as mine except for the power supply. His is a Corsair 850. It does the exact same thing. His components are 100% identical except for that. This is the same problem he has been having with EQ. It does the exact same thing and like I said, EQ says they don't support the 5XXX series video cards. The problem isn't related to load at all. The video driver is taking a giant dump and bringing my system down with it. It shuts off my display and about two seconds later the PC hard locks.

I have run every stability test on this machine known to man. It has never crossed the 400W barrier even when it is running Furmark and P95 at the same time. I have checked, and the CPU usage isn't exceptionally high when the game is playing and all of my components are staying cool.

EDIT
After reading a bit more, the same thing has been happening with Nvidia cards but they CTD and don't lock the entire PC up. The game is apparently unplayable with any video card and new drivers.

Thanks for giving a shit Crytek. Can't forget to thank Valve for selling my brother a bump game and not saying anything about it.

I have no problems running Crysis on my system. I'm using the latest Catalyst drivers and an overclocked Radeon HD 5970. I have had issues with it in the past but not in probably two years. And really the only setup I had issues with was my dual 4870 X2's. I had lots of issues with my Skulltrail setup and those two cards. Since going to the Core i7 920 and the GeForce GTX 280's in 3-Way SLI or my current Radeon HD 5970 I haven't had any issues.

I will say this. When you hear of Crysis, it is almost always about how demanding a game it is, not because it is super great. If you can't play it (which I am sure you will be able to fine as I can on a GTX260/Conroe), no big loss. Your machine is to play games, not solely to run benchmarks on the most demanding game maxed out.

I enjoyed the Crysis single player portion. Not sure where the all the hate is from .. its demanding yes but the story isn't half bad for a shooter.

If you were around when it was being super hyped before release then you'll probably be disappointed because it didn't even come close to living up to the hype. But for what its worth I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the first parts of the game just as much as Far Cry. Where the game went wrong was with the introduction of the alien parts. From that point on the game took a strictly linear approach to it. The game wasn't fun anymore. It was also less polished. I just finished it to finish it. I've replayed the earlier parts of the game plenty of times but stop before getting into the alien crap.

Sucks that the newer drivers don't work, that's pretty lame on the part of (? Crytek? Nvidia?)

One thing to note with the game if you run the 64-bit exe is that using AA and DX10 combined with the 64-bit exe results in a lot of chugging. The 32-bit exe doesn't have this problem, IIRC. Or turn off AA. Or use DX9.

whats ur gpu temp? crysis caused some trouble with my 5870 but thats because ati cant make proper drivers and my fan speed doesnt auto adjust.

try some other drivers monitor temp.

My fan speed is set to always be 100%.

I don't know what drivers you are using Dan. The game doesn't work here. Like I said, it does the same thing that other games are known to do with the 5XXX series video cards. How can you explain my roommate's 100% identical PC having the same problem? With more than one game. I played all the way through GTA IV last week on this machine and not once did I have a crash. That game is way more demanding that Crysis. In GTA I had an average of around 40 FPS. Crysis seems to be running at around a steady 60-70 depending on whats going on. Remember, my resolution is 1280x1024. Not exactly the most demanding.

Is there some obscure DX runtime that I'm missing or something?:confused:
That seems like a good possibility. But, if I cant get it from Microsoft, where can I get it? It also seems to crash more frequently with Catalyst AI turned on. What DX runtimes do you have installed?

Do you think I would need to run the DX9C runtime that I found in the game folder again if I used driver sweeper and re-installed the video driver?

I deleted the game files for now while I await word from steam support on my brothers refund. I managed to get in touch with him today and let him know he needs to send a support ticket also. Perhaps they will let him choose another game.

The sad thing is, he said he damned near bought me LFD and LFD2 on sale for $10. Instead he spend $30 on this POS. I could probably live with it if it was my money. The fact that it was my little bro's money, kinda means I have a responsibility to get him his money back if I can.

THIS SUX. I was enjoying the tank section.:mad:

My fan speed is set to always be 100%.

I don't know what drivers you are using Dan. The game doesn't work here. Like I said, it does the same thing that other games are known to do with the 5XXX series video cards. How can you explain my roommate's 100% identical PC having the same problem? With more than one game. I played all the way through GTA IV last week on this machine and not once did I have a crash. That game is way more demanding that Crysis. In GTA I had an average of around 40 FPS. Crysis seems to be running at around a steady 60-70 depending on whats going on. Remember, my resolution is 1280x1024. Not exactly the most demanding.

Is there some obscure DX runtime that I'm missing or something?:confused:
That seems like a good possibility. But, if I cant get it from Microsoft, where can I get it? It also seems to crash more frequently with Catalyst AI turned on. What DX runtimes do you have installed?

Do you think I would need to run the DX9C runtime that I found in the game folder again if I used driver sweeper and re-installed the video driver?

I deleted the game files for now while I await word from steam support on my brothers refund. I managed to get in touch with him today and let him know he needs to send a support ticket also. Perhaps they will let him choose another game.

The sad thing is, he said he damned near bought me LFD and LFD2 on sale for $10. Instead he spend $30 on this POS. I could probably live with it if it was my money. The fact that it was my little bro's money, kinda means I have a responsibility to get him his money back if I can.

THIS SUX. I was enjoying the tank section.:mad:

It very well may be a driver that both of you have in common that isn't related to the video card. Audio drivers for example are known to cause just as many problems with some games as any video card driver ever could. I've seen issues with many games including Crysis which were related to driver's aside from the video card drivers. I'm using Catalyst 10.9 with the latest CAP and I'm having ZERO issues with Crysis.

Well, Something I have done has had an effect. First, I reinstalled the game from steam. Then, I went into the compatibility settings for crysis.exe and checked the last thing, Desktop Composition. I remembered that Photoshop requires me to turn off desktop composition when I am working with compressed textures. If I don't, it will blue screen. I figured I might as well give it a shot.

Well, I played for over an hour with no problems.

So
Installed cat 10.9 HotFix
UAC off
Winxp sp3 compatibility mode.
Disable Catalyst AI.
Disable Desktop composition.
Cleaned out my temp folder under my username etc...(Don't know what this is supposed to do but, EA told me to do it.)

The last two, I did at the same time and that's when I was able to successfully play for a while.

I'm kinda worried that I am just right back where I was yesterday. I managed to get it to play for a while then, but as soon as I tried again, it locked almost immediately.

I'll keep trying for now. We shall see what happens.

Last edited:
Just got finished playing 3 hours of MWLL. OMFG that game is fun. I had a CTD end my session though. I can live with that.

I had similar problems at one point. I found it that Crysis was pulling more power than my other games, and my UPS couldn't output enough power. This caused my machine to hardlock, set off the UPS alarm and or shut the whole UPS down. This is how I found out that most 1500VA UPSes only actually put out about 900 watts or so.

Same here which is why I always buy power supplies in excess of what I need. Have a 850 watt powering my current system which is more then enough.

Back