I was hoping to have big numbers right now

mrmylanman

[H]ard|Gawd
I got 2 8800 Ultras in the mail after a long ordeal with the nation's great postal service, and I am bit again by the house's shoddy wiring.

This is a really old house, and extremely hard to run wire in (when I had to run a length of network cable I just ran it under the house and then drilled a hole in the floor against the wall).

No sockets in the house are grounded, and I got away with it like that for a while but now I will finally have to do something about it. It may have something to do with the amount of power my computer is no drawing with 2 GPUs plus folding, but it keeps tripping my battery backup, making it think the power's out or something.

I'll also have to get another fan for my case.

Also I read somewhere that folding without the dummy connectors works in Windows 7 now but it doesn't seem like that is the case (at least for me). So that kind of sucks. I may just go back to Windows XP. Especially if folding for multiple card architectures works (I have a GTX260 that is sitting it out right now... two 8800 Ultras should get more PPD than a GTX260, at least from what my particular 260 was getting).

So right now I'm not folding at all on my video cards because my battery backup keeps getting tripped.

Sometimes folding can be frustrating... lol. Even though it's nothing too major I guess.

I'm getting booted to the basement.

With a little one on the way my study will no longer be mine. I've got to drop a 15a line to where I've set myself up. (1/2 the farm is running on an ext cord.)

I've watched my uncle do it a few times.... I should be ok. I'm just going to re route the dedicated line we put in 2 years ago and put in the basement.

Your problems seem much worse. If you have a friend that knows wiring. Invite him over for a beer and show him whats going on. He might give ya some help as to not see your house burn down.

Yeah I'll probably invite some buddies of mine over. I'm living at my grandparents for the moment, and my grandpa knows a lot of things, but electrical lines are something he prefers to avoid.

There is a big antenna ground stake that is outside of my window about 5 feet away, I may run it through the wall (the walls have a tough construction and the attic has a finished floor making running wires in the house very tough), outside and tie it to that stake.

Wiring your place shouldn't be too difficult, as long as you follow good wiring and grounding practices. Unless of course, you don't have any 12-2 or 12-3 wiring in place already. If your wire is the older crap without a ground wire already in place, you might have a big challenge on your hands.

Don't take any shortcuts, for safety's sake. ;)

Here is a quick primer / basic reference if you don't have any home electrical skills:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2installelecwiring

Actually, if you have non-grounded outlets you can still make one grounded without doing the whole house; you just get a grounded outlet, hook it up normally, and run a ground wire from the receptacle to a water pipe. My dad (electrician for 35 years) did that for me a long time ago at my old apartment when I was a bachelor and I wanted a grounded outlet for my APC surge protector, and the apartment did not have grounded outlets.

... you just get a grounded outlet, hook it up normally, and run a ground wire from the receptacle to a water pipe.

Just make sure your water pipe is the older galvanized steel variety that runs into a masonry wall and not the PVC or compression fitting pipes :p

Technically you can even run a ground rod into the crawlspace floor if that's an option too, and hook your ground wires to it. Best thing would be to check with the local codes though, and find out what options are available. I'm sure there are acceptable measures that can be taken without killing your budget or having to revamp the whole electrical system....

Just out of curiousity, does your house have an up to date breaker box (200 amp or so) or is there an *old* fuse box in this place?

Yeah, the one I had then was a copper water pipe. :)

Definitely some sort of metal only though, obviously no PVC pipe will work. :D

Yeah breakers have been installed at some point. The water pipes under the house are PVC so that's a no go. The ones running up to the house are galvanized, however they're clear on the other end.

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the ground rod for the antenna, as it's right outside my window. Problem is I'll have to do more drilling and seal it up.

well im glad you got the cards finally, seems usps didnt wanna do their job.

btw just fyi im runnin a triple 8800 ultra setup at work for folding with a e6600 stock clock and 2gb ram
i pull 750-800watts from the wall. according to a meter much like the kill-a-watt.

where as my sig rig pulls max 450 under full load according to a kill-a-watt

Back