I was close to getting the 290x

You = fuckin idiot. That's what I expect to find trolling tomshardware

I agree. I'm surprised at some of the absolute detritus I see posted here. The frame latency issues have been fixed (see HardOCP 290X CFX review), and the heat issue can be solved by turning the damn fans up. My cards max out at 55*C, since I raised the fan cap.

Yeah, they draw a lot of power, but that's what happens when you have powerful cards.

Yeah because Nvidia is a shiny example of perfect products - between laptop failures - exploding drivers and Apple and latest gen consoles deciding not to use Nvidia - i have a pile of non-working video cards 90% of them are Nvidia.

I agree. I'm surprised at some of the absolute detritus I see posted here. The frame latency issues have been fixed (see HardOCP 290X CFX review), and the heat issue can be solved by turning the damn fans up. My cards max out at 55*C, since I raised the fan cap.

Yeah, they draw a lot of power, but that's what happens when you have powerful cards.

Must have one hell of a sound system to drown out all of that noise...

Did you really have to make a new account just to pimp AMD products?

55 C on the reference cooler... I don't believe it, unless you live in Antarctica or something...

Open case and fans at 100% I could only get mine down to around 83C

That's actually not much higher than my idle temp don't see how that's possible at all.

Last edited:
Until the custom-cooled versions of the R9 290X arrive, PRIME1 has a point. Not a good one, mind you, but quite relevant; at least it'll be fun to prove wrong. I'm still holding out hope for a G-Sync patch and a good blower for it :).

His point can be put in an nvidia thread. It is sad that whenever I come on here trying to research for an upcoming build all these trolls have to spew crap all over the place.

55 C on the reference cooler... I don't believe it, unless you live in Antarctica or something...

Open case and fans at 100% I could only get mine down to around 83C

That's actually not much higher than my idle temp don't see how that's possible at all.

It's all about the custom fan profiles. My hottest card (top) idles at 46*C.

If you think I'm on here just to shill

You bought the two loudest cards on the market and turned up the fans as high as they can go, then named yourself after them on a tech forum so that you could extol their virtues?

Why would we think anything else?

Sorry, let me reformat that message with less name calling.

I'm not about to come on here and have some SUGAR PLUM accuse me of shilling.

bBDa5WZ.jpg

Here's a pic of my 660ti build, before I did cable management.

Call me back when you have a better insult than "lol ur shill".

Thanks,
290X.

But then the plain-jane generic design, poor reference cooler (no vendor coolers for a while), and high operating temps swayed me away from it. Not to mention noise. The final killer was that I got an MSI 780 lightning for less than a 290x would have cost. And now since Nvidia has lowered the price of the 780, other than performance, the 290x isn't a very appealing card in my opinion. Only way I'd get a 290x is if I water blocked it.

What's so special about the 290x to warrant pricing above a GTX 780? 512bit Memory bus? Slightly better performance? All while offering a crappy cooler, horrible aesthetics, higher heat, more noise, and a higher energy drain.

Justify my purchase. LOL!!! I'd never put anything as generic looking, loud, relatively power hungry, and as hot as the 290x in any of my rigs. The 290x out performs the 780 by a pretty nice margin? First time hearing that one. But at what cost?

I will bite, your post is flame bait because:
1) You are complaining about aesthetics on a reference video card.
2) You are complaining about higher power draw even though that higher power draw directly corresponds with higher performance.
3) The 290x beats all other cards, especially at higher resolutions.
4) Your only valid "complaints" are heat and noise, and even the heat is a moot point as it has been shown that the heat is dumped out the exhaust of the video card and it is designed to run at 95c with no ill effects. Then when you realize it is using less then 60 watts more then the 780 and putting out the equivalent increase in heat, it is a moot point.

Title of thread: I was close to getting the 290x

Then truth comes out:
I'd never put anything as generic looking, loud, relatively power hungry, and as hot as the 290x in any of my rigs

You suck at trolling.

Eh... I'll be getting a good case so heat doesn't bother me. Sound doesn't bother me as long as it's quiet when its idle. Also I think the card's reference cooler has a sleek look. It wouldn't hurt to have some patience to wait for better cooling solutions to come out as well.

Why is everybody bitching about the design? They're fucking video cards, not priceless faberge eggs.

ROFL

If I could like posts, I would give this one a thumbs up.

Looks like all the usual suspects came out for this thread. "OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I LOVE MY BRAND. IT'S THE BEST BRAND. NO OTHER BRAND IS BETTER. I LOVE IT LIKE IT'S MY CHILD OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!1111"

:rolleyes:

ROFL If I could like posts, I would give this one a thumbs up.

I'll admit, I do a fair bit of the brand-preference gambit, but at least I sampled the waters on both sides.

I'm not about to come on here and have some SUGAR PLUM accuse me of shilling.

Damn, MajorDomo had to delete one of my posts; you should be proud :).

But again, I didn't call you anything; besides, your pictures do you more justice than I ever could. Over a grand in video cards, over half that in the CPU and motherboard, and you put it all in a $30 case?

Trust me, we're convinced.

I'll admit, I do a fair bit of the brand-preference gambit, but at least I sampled the waters on both sides.

I remember when Nvidia was over-hyped trash too, the first time; they had to work real hard to earn my money, and they still do- and have. So has AMD, ATi, 3Dfx... and hell, even Intel, where I've settled for integrated graphics for one of my laptops. Would you believe that a mobile Sandy Bridge i7 could play Portal 2 successfully at 720p?

Entire thread was just to justify a purchase..pat yourself on the back for mind blowing decision /popcorn.

Here's the kick in the nuts for you. If you just waited a bit could've snagged 1 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...a&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite at the same performance.

Oh wait Nvidia only you say? I'm sure there's another price cut coming after 290 just took the 780 to the shed. Time to return that card?

Last edited:
Damn, MajorDomo had to delete one of my posts; you should be proud :).

But again, I didn't call you anything; besides, your pictures do you more justice than I ever could. Over a grand in video cards, over half that in the CPU and motherboard, and you put it all in a $30 case?

Trust me, we're convinced.

I've actually transferred everything into an Enermax Hoplite ST, a $70 case.

Don't forget that it's what's under the hood that actually matters.

I've actually transferred everything into an Enermax Hoplite ST, a $70 case.

Don't forget that it's what's under the hood that actually matters.

It's a moderately respectable cheap case, but remember that it's the whole system that matters. I do like the glowy fan in the front though, classy.

Sorry, but this is just too good not to share, from the reviews page on Enermax's site:

"The Enermax Hoplite ST, in stock configuration, is a solid choice for a standard PC build and would be a great candidate for your next mod project. If you are on a budget and need a case for a decent single GPU, non-overclocked gaming system, the Hoplite ST is a fine choice and would suit your needs nicely."

Based on the pictures, I hope you have a dremel and a stack of Noctua's at the ready :D.

Nice card but cm'on seriously?

You had to create a post to make your self feel justified.. The reason the price of the 780 is lower than the 290x is because the 290x was friggin priced before the 780 was dropped?

Did you not pay attention to basic marketing strategy in high school? Just wondering, not ridiculing.

you didn't wait for 290 non x? you noobs! :eek:

Yep, OP should've waited. Can you still return it?

The 780 just got SMOKED in price/performance.

Our performance results could not be any more clear. The AMD Radeon R9 290 provides the same gameplay experience and performance as the GeForce GTX 780 in a single-display gaming environment. The R9 290 provided the same performance as the GTX 780, and sometimes was even faster in terms of raw framerates. It is also clear that the Radeon R9 290 is a big upgrade from the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition and GeForce GTX 770.

Another price cut is in order. GTX780 has to be priced at 399 to compete.

Shit, should I cancel my order for the 290X? I already have Battlefield 4...its a $180 difference were talking here. Seems like a 5% difference in speed between 290 and X

AMD has always had inferior built products and software (at a lower pricepoint).

I can't wait to ditch my current AMD crossfire setup ( It's been nothing but problems) and buy a non ref 780Ti.

AMD doesn't make video cards and the coolers from the AIB partners are often nearly identical between similar Nvidia and AMD GPUs. You should be thanking AMD though, the way things are going you might only have to spend $659 for that 780Ti and you might get a free game.

Yeah i have no problems spending more money on 780Ti. It is a more quality product after all.

As much as i despise AMD, i'm glad they are putting up the fight, driving the prices down.

Quality?

Nvidia quality on bf4 is bad right now, hopefully they will fix it because bf4 its running better on AMD right now.

at the end you have half baked shit on both sides :p

and i don't see the 780ti at $700 anymore, it wont happen you are way better on getting 2 290 for 100 bucks more even with the fan a low speed u will get more performance per $$$

Taken from TomsHardware:

Tomshardware said:
However, the two retail Radeon R9 290X boards in our lab are both slower than the 290 tested today. They average lower clock rates over time, pushing frame rates down. Clearly there’s something wrong when the derivative card straight from AMD ends up on top of the just-purchased flagships. So who’s to say that retail 290s won’t follow suit, and when we start buying those cards, they prove to underperform GeForce GTX 780? We can only speculate at this point, though anecdotal evidence gleaned from our experience with R9 290X is suggestive.

<snip>

I have two issues with this. First, at 47% duty cycle, the fan is too loud. It&#8217;s obviously not as bad as the 290X&#8217;s Uber mode, but I don&#8217;t see any compelling reason to compromise acoustics when quieter solutions exist. AMD points out that you can turn the fan down if you want, and that's true, but you'd watch 290's performance erode at the same time. Second, I simply don&#8217;t trust the numbers I&#8217;m getting from the 290 we have on-hand to review. Even if it&#8217;s a total fluke that the R9 290X cards we have are so diametrically opposed, the mere existence of this much variance means Radeon R9 290 is either as fast as a GeForce GTX Titan and priced phenomenally or somewhere behind a retail R9 290X, just ahead of GeForce GTX 770, and priced to slot into the market (unspectacularly). I&#8217;m not comfortable making a recommendation one way or the other on 290 until we see some retail hardware.

<snip>

The card that AMD sent to me is a stallion. Even if you get it nice and hot before running a test, bringing it down off of that 1000 MHz &#8220;wishful thinking&#8221; spec, it&#8217;s still faster than GeForce GTX 780, and oftentimes GeForce GTX Titan. But the Radeon R9 290X I bought from Newegg is a dud. It&#8217;ll drop to 727 MHz and stay there&#8230;and the reference cooler still can&#8217;t cool it fast enough. The result is that it violates its 40% fan speed ceiling as well. The craziness, then, is that my R9 290 press board is typically faster than my R9 290X retail card. In the benchmarks, you&#8217;re going to see numbers for all three.

<snip>
Less consistency, tighter pricing, more noise...let's just say I'm more wary this time around.
So you need to factor in the $100 aftermarket cooler into the price to bring back the consistency in the performance and to get what you paid for and what you are seeing in the reviews. Makes it much less attractive than it first appears on its performance numbers alone.

Taken from TomsHardware:

So you need to factor in the $100 aftermarket cooler into the price to bring back the consistency in the performance and to get what you paid for and what you are seeing in the reviews. Makes it much less attractive than it first appears on its performance numbers alone.

Or you can wait for AIBs to release their versions (I'm personally waiting for MSI's Lightning models) which will obviously be a better solution.

What problems are you getting with your CF rig?

FWIW, two R290s that will cost $800 dollars will run laps around a GTX780ti at $700.

440W load! 41C/95C temps! Wow.

If anything is getting smoked it's that 290 after you've been playing games for a few hours.

I was interested in this card but 440W is ridiculous and that's not even an overclocked version and on a system with not much connected, so you're looking at about 500W power draw with an OC version on a normal system. I hope this can push the nvidia prices down even more.

Last edited:
It's all about the custom fan profiles. My hottest card (top) idles at 46*C.

Three degrees cooler than my load temp. :p Not bad.
Aren't amd cards supposed to switch off at idle?

Personally I would love to get a 290x wet.

Truth be told I haven't really found a reason to upgrade at the moment though.

440W load! 41C/95C temps! Wow.

If anything is getting smoked it's that 290 after you've been playing games for a few hours.

I was interested in this card but 440W is ridiculous and that's not even an overclocked version and on a system with not much connected, so you're looking at about 500W power draw with an OC version on a normal system. I hope this can push the nvidia prices down even more.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/26/msi_n480gtx_lightning_video_card_review/9#.Unji5_nbN8E Oh hai guys1!

Back