I was able to score a Maxtor Atlas 10K 147GB SCSI drive from work...

No Limit

[H]ard|Gawd
Basically for free and still sealed in the anti-static. The drive says "3.5 series, Ultra320 SCSI". Anyway, I want to mess around with RAID-0 or RAID-1 and have no experience at all with SCSI. What SCSI controller would you guys recommend?

Ok. Maybe I was wrong to assume you guys would know I pick up another drive. Yes I do know RAID needs more than 1 hard drive as I have 2 36GB Raptors in RAID0 on my computer. Anyway, I just wanted to use this as a learning opportunity for SCSI. As for the controller, which one would you guys recommend?

Well, in that case ;)

Are you trying to do true hardware RAID, RAID with a controller + software, or purely software RAID?

RAID with a controller. Just like those you see built into the motherboard for SATA I guess. Just want it inside my computer for now. Man... Maybe I should've taken up that offer when my friend offered a stand-alone RAID array tower thing. Oh well. Edit: Too bad those Adaptec cards mentioned are PCI-X and I don't have those slots on my mobo.

If you are wondering why those cards are PCI-X, then you should better forget about the whole thing.

If you still insist: Forget about Hardware RAID, get an Adaptec 29160, but select the right model for your purpose. Or asking the other way round: What slots do you have available?

Just have regular 32-bit pci slots on my motherboards that I use for my computer.

Ouch! Regular 32bit PCI? Are you aware that it has a *shared* bandwidth of 133MB/s? You'd be better off with a PCIe x1.

If 32bit PCI is all you've got, then the Adaptec 29160 is probably the best you can get. But for the price of the controller, you can get a 150GB Raptor and most likely better performance. 10kRPM SCSI really isn't worth the trouble. That's why you got the drive for free...

the Adaptec 29160 can be gotten for pretty cheap 2nd hand on ebay and its backward-compatible with PCI slots.

Well there is an extra PCIe 1x slot on my mobo, but it's being blocked by my two ATI videocards in Crossfire mode.

LSIU160 can be had twice as cheap, and since we're dealing with regular PCI bandwidth, it's pretty unimportant how fast the HBA is or if it supports U320 or not

Back