I want to upgrade to 1440p but I have a few questions I need resolved first

Subzerok11

Gawd
I currently have a 1080p 27 inch monitor and thinking about upgrading to a 27 inch 1440p monitor.

I heard there's some scaling issues like the icons on the desktop are really small, is this easily fixed, and is more of a Windows 7 issue and newer Windows OS have the scaling correct ? What about browsing the Internet and is there any scaling issues there and is that easily fixed ?

I'm just asking these questions because I just don't want my eyes to get strain cause things will be smaller, will it ?

Okay what about gaming how will the games be like I know I'll have to upgrade my video card and that's fine what is it like upgrading from a 1080 to 1440 for gaming especially the battlefield games or guess any fps I like to play.

Now will most games have 1440 as the selectable resolution because almost every game I ever played has 1080 is a selectable resolution. What if I play some old games ?

Thanks

the icons will be about the same size as a 23" 1080p screen.
27" 1080p looks terrible to me since everything is so much larger.

I use a 34" 21:9 3440x1440 (same height as a 27" 16:9 screen, just about 40% wider) and sit an arms length away and the icons are not too small.

Gaming in 1440p is so much better than 1080p. Super sampling will never look as good as actually having more pixels. I found the jump from 24 inch 1080p to 27 inch 1440p to a big leap in image quality and well worth it. The size of the desktop is fine, I mean it's not like you're running 4k at that size so no scaling is needed at all. As for a video card I'd recommend a GTX 980 Ti since it gets great performance even on a single card and currently beats the Radeon Fury X at 1440p.

You can just up the text and scaling factor in windows to medium on 1440p and it's much more readable on a 27" ( I do this)

Gaming seems fine. More detail etc. just make sure your gpu is capable of driving the res.

About your question of games showing only up to 1080p, this is perfectly normal, as games generally tend only to show resolutions that your monitor can support, so if you change your monitor to 1440p, games will know and show up more resolutions.

So far I have not encountered any games where 1440p wasn't available. The oldest game I know for certain that supports 1440p is Doom 3, and that game is over 10 years old.

I do not know if even older games will support them because I have not tried them, the games I wanted to play often refused to run due to other reasons.

For me, without going into details, I changed to 1440p as I figured it would give me best balance of IQ, desktop real estate, performance and features. I used to use VX2770-SMH as my 27" 1080p, but after looking at Swift for a while, I found that I can no longer tolerate 1080p @ 27" as the lines between pixels were too obvious, 1440p definitely dramatically improved IQ at 27". Also 1440p, while it is heavy, it is largely manageable on 1 single high-end GPU (980ti for example is currently the best single card solution for 1440p, and it does so well).

But as previous poster said, your GPU will determine whether you can reliably drive 1440p. Personally, I'd settle for no less than 1 single 970 or 290, ideally 980ti, or Fury X if you decide to get a FreeSync monitor instead. Fury X isn't as good as 980ti in raw performance, but a FS monitor plus Fury X is around $200 cheaper than equivalent 980ti and G-Sync monitor. If you are not interested in any of the Syncs, go 980ti if you are looking for GPU upgrade.

970 will be fine if you don't max out the settings in games and go easy on the AA

I just made the jump from 22" 1080 to 27"1440 and love it.
I was prepared to order a 970 if my current card(670) did not hold up.
So far my 670 has been fine but I am not running any of the new major titles.
BL2 - Pre Sequal, Diablo 3, SWTOR, and CS GO have all been fine.
All I did was adjust the resolution and left all of the other settings maxed out.
BL and D3 are pushing 100+ FPS and SWTOR has been between 50-60.

Back