I want to upgrade, budget of $400ish

I'm still running the rig in my sig. Thinking about some upgrades... not sure what to do... could use some suggestions. Mostly I game and watch movies.
thinking about several possibilities...
swap out my cpu/mobo/ram and moving up to a newer system with ddr3 memory...
upgrading my graphics card to a HD 5xxx series...
ssd...

just not sure right now... help me! I don't want to spend more than $500; infact I'd prefer to keep it around $400 if possible.

well your video card is still decent

you could go i5 750 + MB + RAM for $450ish

look for combo deals on Newegg to reduce costs

get Gskill Ripjaws dual channel memory kit for $93-95 on there

easy upgrade

What format/media-type of movies do you watch? streaming HD? BD movies? Netflix streams? DVDs? Youtube HD? Hulu HD?

What games do you play on that 24" monitor?

Which performance aspect of your system is currently not up to your satisfaction?

c'mon enginurd, this is an easy one! :)

If it was so easy, he wouldn't have posted. :p If his current parts play his games and watch his movies without any trouble, then there really is no point in upgrading them just yet. If thats the case, then an SSD would be a more noticeable upgrade than a core upgrade. Not everyone needs an i5 750 just to play some games and watch movies. ;)

c'mon enginurd, this is an easy one! :)

get back to work kid, i don't have all day waiting for you!

@ OP, go with gwarren's selection, keep your gpu for a while, upgrade when you really feel limited (go grab another 260 and go sli!)

What format/media-type of movies do you watch? streaming HD? BD movies? Netflix streams? DVDs? Youtube HD? Hulu HD?

What games do you play on that 24" monitor?

Which performance aspect of your system is currently not up to your satisfaction?
honestly, for most part, I am very happy with my rig. When I first built it, I only had 4GB of ram, and a 8800GTS... I have upgraded several components through the years... I just want to maintain my satisfaction, and keep my rig upgraded a little more, thus delaying the inevitable obsolescence that will eventually happen. I'm not ready to throw down on a brand new gaming rig. I just want to make it [H]arder, better, faster, stronger... lol

I know my cpu is a bit on the older side... it still handles fairly well, but a quad core would defiantly perk things up a bit. Unfortunately, my options on an upgrade of just the cpu are fairly limited without swapping out my motherboard and old ddr2 memory.

My gtx260 is my latest upgrade, and is still quite a performer. but I am thinking about eyefinity possibly down the line...

To answer your questions... Other than the fact that I don't have a blueray player, most of the movies I watch are actually on my crappy 32" 720p emerson tv, that I have hooked up via hdmi... I watch mostly dvd rips that I have backed up on my computer, and some hulu ocaisionally. My internet connection really sucks, so I don't watch a whole lot of HD stuff off of the net, unless I can download it first, or have time to let it buffer for a while...

I play primarily first person shooters, but I also play just about anything else that is out there. The most recent games I have been playing are Borderlands, l4d, tf2, Oblivion, Dirt2, and resident evil 5. (oh and I still play starcraft.... and I am looking forward to starcraft 2 if it ever comes out and blizzard doesn't screw it up more than it already has....:rolleyes:)

My upgrade has little to do with dissatisfaction, but more of delaying dissatisfaction; if that makes any sense. or even improving what I have to make me notice a difference in some aspect of performance of some kind. I hope I was able to clarify for you and others as to what I am exactly looking for.

Back