I want to start a stereo system.

Obiwanshinobi900

Limp Gawd
I have roughly 6-700 dollars. As of right now I have a shitty HTIB and need a receiver and some speakers. I don't mind just starting out with 2.1 so I can get better quality now and buy more in a few months rather than getting everything at once. It will b e used for my computer, dvds and xbox 360.
I was told these Klipsch reference speakers with 300watts peak power were good.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=2&id=1157067061370#productdetail
Its 300 for the pair, is that any good at all or am I getting bad advice?
I don't know where to start in looking for a receiver either.

For $300, you can get the AV123 x-ls encore bookshelf speakers, they're the best budget speakers under $300

Klipsch = markup. Best Buy = a lot of markup.

Get the most for your money with Internet-based manufacturers.

Cambridge Audio make some of the best hi-fi budget amps available... pair that with your choice of some Tannoy Mercury F1s, Monitor Audio B2s, Wharfedale Diamonds... heck, you could probably even get better speakers...

Lots of choice other than internet direct and stuff you find at bestbuy... it's definitely worth your consideration.

Cambridge Audio make some of the best hi-fi budget amps available... pair that with your choice of some Tannoy Mercury F1s, Monitor Audio B2s, Wharfedale Diamonds... heck, you could probably even get better speakers...

Lots of choice other than internet direct and stuff you find at bestbuy... it's definitely worth your consideration.

I find these to be excellent for their price (Monitor Audio BR2).

BR2.jpg

For the price range you're looking at.. my suggestion is to get the maximum possible amount allocated to the speakers, and the rest for the electronics and interconnects.

I'd go with a balanced system, make sure you go for high value products. For example, I have a Roksan Kandy MkIII amplifier, which at the time was considered to be one of the best mid-market stereo integrated amps... not only is it built like a tank, but the sound quality is amazing and it had enough power to drive pretty much any speaker.

Now I'm about to buy my 3rd pair of speakers, and they are, to say the least, somewhat more expensive than my first set I bought nearly 3 years ago. However, I'm confident that because I bought an amp that was a "pioneer" in the price/quality ratio, I'll be able to continue using it.

...though next thing I have to upgrade is definitely the amp.

I think you'll be more likely to change the speakers in the future rather than the electronics, and if you're anything like me, you don't want to buy EVERYTHING all over again.

My 2 cents... technically though, the above poster is right, as generally one should balance their systems (source/amp/speakers)

Can I get some links or prices? I don't know where to find the best prices. That and my budget is around 600 dollars, so I think the Roksan Kandy MkIII amplifier is out of my price range.

If I were you I'd focus on getting a quality amp and good set of speakers, and ditch the sub... of course it all depends on what you're looking for.

The Roksan is a little more than what you're looking at; it retailed for around 1500 dollars when I bought it some time ago.

That being said, since then there have been some truly amazing advancements, which gave place to some tremendous value hi-fi.

I believe that the Cambridge Audio Azur 340A will set you back about 300 dollars, I found a dealer here:

http://www.spearitsound.com/Cambridge_Audio/Cambridge_Audio_340a.asp

Monitor Audio BR2 is also about 300 dollars.... they go down to 42Hz, and while that's not considered "full-range", most speakers aren't to begin with. Furthermore, many people will say that pairing a subwoofer to a hi-fi stereo setup can muck up the sound, and this would be especially true of a cheap subwoofer; the principle is that a subwoofer's tonal qualites are hard to match with other speakers, and that a poor quality subwoofer won't have the "punch" to deliver the music as it was meant to sound.

I'm giving you a strictly "hi-fi" perspective. This little setup will be great for music, and produce good results with movies and TV... but obviously won't shake your house with room filling bass either.

Links to manufacturers:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=11&Title=Azur+340A+amplifier

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/product.php?application=&range=8&product=56&area=2

You can go on their websites to find a dealer near you, it's always worth TRYING before BUYING.

Back