I want to set my old pc up for storage

Mekanic01

Gawd
I have my old pc with my pictures and videos on it, and a new laptop that I'm going to be using full time now. I'd like to be able to access the older pc whenever I want to access the media on it, and to move new stuff to it when needed. I see that Windows 10 no longer makes it easy to do that. Is there an easy way around to do it? I've got multiple drives on the pc that I'd like to have full access to.

Thanks

It should be just as it's always been. What was the error or issue that was popping up?

This is my procedure:
1. Make sure in Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Change advanced sharing settings that Network discovery and file and printer sharing for your network type (probably private?) are turned on.
2. In the All Networks drop down, select "turn off password protected sharing". Biggest hassle I would run into when my system accounts have no passwords and are different names is fixed by this.
Close that out, then:
3. Right click the thing you want to share (drive, folder), select Properties, Sharing tab.
4. Click "Share..." button.
5. Type in "everyone" into the box and add. If you want to be able to read and write to the folder, in the box you'll want to change the permission level from Read to Read/Write. Then click "share."
6. Go to Advanced Sharing and make sure "Share this folder" is checked, and the name is what you want it to be.
7. Click the permissions button and add any permissions to the Everyone group you'd like (you'll need "Full Control" to write or delete files).

Just did a test run on a Win 10 1909 box with no previous shares and had no problems accessing the folder from another host.

Agree with Grebuloner you should not have any issues accessing a windows share. It is what I currently use adn have for years. Please share what is causing you issues.

After tooling around with it I think I have a completely different problem altogether. I can't find the desktop pc on the network from the laptop. This seems to tie into some other issues I've had with the desktop.

The desktop it wired to the router, everything else is wireless. I can't even print from the desktop. For some reason because the desktop is wired instead of wireless, it won't network correctly. Still haven't figured that problem out.

Wired vs. wireless shouldn't matter. Can you see the laptop from the desktop?

Both computers should have their network connection type set to "private" for your home network, and network discovery and file & printer sharing needs to be turned on.

What happens if you type in "\\" followed by the name or local IP address of your desktop into the address bar of file explorer? (ex. \\computername)

Wired vs. wireless shouldn't matter. Can you see the laptop from the desktop?

Both computers should have their network connection type set to "private" for your home network, and network discovery and file & printer sharing needs to be turned on.

What happens if you type in "\\" followed by the name or local IP address of your desktop into the address bar of file explorer? (ex. \\computername)
Ok, I think I got it. The desktop was showing the laptop but I couldn't move anything to it. The laptop would not show the desktop until as you suggested, I enter \\ and the destop's name. Thank you.

Back