I want to OC a Prescott with Air: Which Chip do I need

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to buy a 925X Mobo, LGA Prescott and stuff to OC with.... Just to test it out, then im gonna sell it to my friend for much more money, however...

Which chip will get me the best OC where I still will be in safe temp range....I really dont care about max clock speed, I just need the FSB to be about 250Mhz (1000)

2.8E LGA775
3.0E LGA775
3.2E LGA775

Thanks

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
personal goal?

Yes, I want to hit 1000FSB... personal goal....

I enjoy just messin around with computers.... so... I would personally never buy a prescott for a while.... but since he wants it, I want to mess with it....

I dont want to play with a Northwood either because I have one and I can mess with mine

so whats the best Pressy I should go for... I understand its gonna be hot, but were trying to do this on air

ever think of trying to OC the 2.8A ?? its a prescott and would scale nicely on air pretty much 3.4 is Auto with them and with good air cooling i bet 3.5-3.6
if you must run a hot precott E chip id get the 2.8E but on air you prolly wont get far past 3.3, if that :(

Be careful...

As a general rule of thumb I don't sell anyone (friends or family eps.) and overclocked computer.

Its just not worth any hassle down the road, especially when the person does not even maintain it whatsoever (dust build up on HSF etc.)

I wouldn't even dream of using air for it, I know people who run 50 idle with top of the range heatsinks with these chips.

Not worth the trouble.

go for the northwood runs cooler and supposeably a lil faster in clocks.

I got my 2.8 Prescott stable at 3.22 on stock air cooling. FSB at 920, stock volts, DDR500 RAM.

The 925 is not a good overclocking chipset, not yet at least. Give it time.

The 925 may not ever be a good OCing chipset. According to Anandtech the OC Lock is 3 fold and the memory enhancement structure of the 925 makes it harder to make the chip overclockable. Most companies were getting better OC's using the 915 chips. Here's a quote describing the OC Lock on the 9x5 chips.

Yes, Virginia, There IS an Overclocking Lock
The overclock lock is very real on the Intel 925X/915 chipset. Sources close to Intel have confirmed that the 925X/915 chipset was designed with a 10% overclock limit as a design parameter. This is not a simple lock loop, but involves several components according to Engineers at Asus and Abit:
1. PCI Express floats in the Intel 925X/915 chipset. PCIe frequency exceeds the capabilities of PCIe cards at about the 10% overclock level. Neither Asus or Abit or any other manufacturer that we have talked with has been able to effectively lock the PCIe frequency in the new 925X/915 design. This is the major roadblock to overclocking on the 925X/915, as any attempt to lock the PCIe frequency limits overclocking.

2. The Northbridge and Southbridge link frequency also floats with the CPU frequency, and since link frequency is monitored at startup, values higher than 10% cause system shutdown. It is true that increasing the voltage to the chipset increases tolerance in this area, but you only gain about 10 MHz to 15 MHz by applying voltage (CPU frequency can increase from 220 to 230 to 235), since the PCIe and SATA issues are not corrected.

3. SATA must be fixed at 100 to function, but the SATA frequency is also influenced by the link frequency. SATA drives simply disappear when the link frequency exceeds the 10% overclock. This can be extended with a bit of voltage, but voltage is not a fix for this issue either.
from this article. A pretty good read
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2124

Back