I want to clean the dust out of my PSU but what method is the best way ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
If it matters I got the SeaSonic G Series 550W PSU. I do a once a year cleaning of my PC and was wondering whats the best way to clean the PSU ? Should I take the can of air and just shoot it upwards into the big fan from below/underside of the tower ? or should I just shoot it from the rear of the tower horizontal into the PSU then maybe from below afterwards ?

The dust filter tray of the tower was dusty and I cleaned that and I'm not sure at all if the PSU is dusty at all I just thought I should blow some air in there but ultimately not sure if it's necessary.

You should be able to see if it's dusty inside by looking into the grill at the back. If it is I'd say remove it, hold the fan in place and use compressed air with a tube attached to spray air inside it through the gaps between the fan blades to loosen and blow out the dust, then also while holding the fan in place use a vacuum cleaner on the fan side and rear grill side to suck out the loose dust. That's what I've always done anyway and it works well.

Yeah just make sure you don't spray any moisture into it, hold the can upright and don't hold the trigger for more than a few seconds at a time, short bursts, standard use of compressed air.

when i do it i go at it from any angle the power supply has a hole. just to make sure i get into all possible corners of the psu

Blowing air over electronics is the safe way of cleaning them of dust. Vacuuming can create static electricity, which can ruin your components.

I use an air compressor set at about 75psi with a spray nozzle and just make sure to hold the fan(s) still so they can't spin when I am cleaning out my computer.

Easiest, quickest and most economical way to do it.

"Canned air" sucks for actually cleaning dust out. Not enough pressure AND it is super expensive.

Unplug the AC power cord from the PSU. Be sure it's unplugged. Stick a disposable plastic straw through the fan grill to hold the fan(s) still. Do not use a paper straw or a rigid plastic stra. Hold a vacuum cleaner hose over every vent opening, even the fan grill. Remove the straw.

Unplug the AC power cord from the PSU. Be sure it's unplugged. Stick a disposable plastic straw through the fan grill to hold the fan(s) still. Do not use a paper straw or a rigid plastic stra. Hold a vacuum cleaner hose over every vent opening, even the fan grill. Remove the straw.

You don't want to vacuum electronics.

If the same hose was used and over the same distance on electronic parts, does it still matters if air flows in or out? Just curious.

By the way, I usually use vacuum cleaner to suck big dust particles out of my motherboard parts and surroundings. If done inside it is less messy than blowing dirt all over the room. But I agree that compressed air is more effective and better way.

If the same hose was used and over the same distance on electronic parts, does it still matters if air flows in or out? Just curious.

By the way, I usually use vacuum cleaner to suck big dust particles out of my motherboard parts and surroundings. If done inside it is less messy than blowing dirt all over the room. But I agree that compressed air is more effective and better way.

It does matter. Specialized vacuum cleaners for electronics cost almost $1000. Just google vacuuming electronics.

Regular commercial and industrial vacuums can generate LOTS of static electricity that can kill your parts. Just because you haven't had a problem yet doesn't mean you won't. Specialized electronics vacs are designed to not generate any static and, as mentioned, are fairly expensive.

shop vac on the exhaust port works great, been doing it for decades.
A visually clean PC still gets a cloud of dust with this method.

Course I take it outside, no sense it blowing dust into the house.

I bought a cheap, oil-free, air compressor and hold the fan still with a wooden chopsticks. Once in a while, I open the water release valve and drain it. Sometimes I wish I hadn't cheaped out since this little POS takes forever to fill and it takes 4 fillings to get three PCs dusted, but man the savings makes up for it.

Back