I want to buy a 24" iMac but I have a few Qs.

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
okay. I've always been a die hard Windows PC person, but lately I've been itching to get one of those 24" iMac computers. I mainly want one because I need more space on my desk. The 24" iMac has such a small footprint that would be awesome to have.

I also want a dead silent machine and I've been told the iMacs are very quiet.

and last but not least. I heard that the newer iMacs can run Windows applications. if so, what version of Windows do they have?

okay, so then what do I do? can I install my XP disk on the iMac?

I'll elaborate a little on felix88's post:

Boot Camp: free download from Apple allowing you to partition your hard drive and install Windows XP SP2 (Pro or Home) and dual boot to use windows when you need it

Virtual PC: the two dominant virtual PC apps are Parallels and VMware Fusion (pre-release atm). you can run a complete virtual machine in a window/fullscreen/etc... and run your apps that way. google for Parallels and Coherence and you'll get some nice info on how that can be perfect for any app you need to use

Crossover is an app that lets you run windows apps inside OS X without the added bulk of a virtual machine. in my experience it has been very buggy and not worth the extra effort when Parallels works fine in coherence mode for all my tasks.

I personally have found an almost direct equivalent for all my windows apps that work as good or better than my previous favorites. you'll settle in nicely to OS X if you just dedicate yourself to using it.

The WinXP disk needs to be Service Pack 2, important to note.

And again, it is also important to note that pretty much any Windows application outside of games has an equivalent or superior application on OS X. There is a HUGE third party application selection for OS X, some of it including programs I wish I had on my WinXP machine.

Also, wait a month or two for that iMac. A major revision is coming out within the next two months. A new all aluminum enclosure iMac with upgraded specs should be out around the middle or end of August.

Also, wait a month or two for that iMac. A major revision is coming out within the next two months. A new all aluminum enclosure iMac with upgraded specs should be out around the middle or end of August.

do you have any specifics or maybe a link or two as to what it will look like?

do you have any specifics or maybe a link or two as to what it will look like?

Anything at this point would be a guess. Apple does a good job of keeping things like this secret until the new product is launched.. If you need the computer now, buy it now, if you can wait then you ought to wait.

There are a few logical conclusions we can make about the future iMac's specs:

It'll use Santa Rosa-based Core 2 Duo chips (for the 24" iMac, you're looking at 2.2GHz or 2.4GHz).

2GB of RAM will likely be standard.

If Apple keeps NVIDIA at the high end, you're looking at a GeForce 8500 GT or 8600 GT as the stock graphics choice (with either an 8600 GT or 8600 GTS as an upgrade option).

Hopefully, hard drive space will go up as well. I'd guess 500GB on the standard 24-incher given how drive prices have been dropping lately.

There are a few logical conclusions we can make about the future iMac's specs:

It'll use Santa Rosa-based Core 2 Duo chips (for the 24" iMac, you're looking at 2.2GHz or 2.4GHz).

2GB of RAM will likely be standard.

If Apple keeps NVIDIA at the high end, you're looking at a GeForce 8500 GT or 8600 GT as the stock graphics choice (with either an 8600 GT or 8600 GTS as an upgrade option).

Hopefully, hard drive space will go up as well. I'd guess 500GB on the standard 24-incher given how drive prices have been dropping lately.

2 gb will NOT be standard. apple makes good money on their apple ram

This is just speculation. No one outside of Apple really knows what the iMac revisions will look like or what their specs will be. Yes, the iMacs will probably be updated soon, but no one here (or anywhere on the web) can say for 100% certainty when or what the refresh will be.

As far as the OP goes, I have a 24" iMac (2.16 ghz, C2D, 2gb ram) and a 23" ACD as an external display and I love it. Tiny footprint, the only sound it makes is when a disc in the drive initially spins up (but goes back to silent after a second or two), and it works just as great as it looks. I highly recommend upgrading to 2gb or RAM, as while the 1gb stock works, the experience is just smoother at the 2+ gb mark. Hope that helps.

This is just speculation. No one outside of Apple really knows what the iMac revisions will look like or what their specs will be. Yes, the iMacs will probably be updated soon, but no one here (or anywhere on the web) can say for 100% certainty when or what the refresh will be.

Several reputable rumor sites that have very good track records are reporting this, that's what I base speculation on. Either way a refresh is happening very very soon since as of today it has been 312 days since a product refresh on a line that has averaged 168 days between updates: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

The current "G5" iMac enclosure has been around for years. I'll be surprised if it doesn't get updated. Nobody can give 100% day and date, of course, but it'll happen soon enough.

2 gb will NOT be standard. apple makes good money on their apple ram

Don't count on that. Remember, stock RAM on the MacBook Pro went from 512MB/1GB/1GB to 2GB across the board in somewhat over a year. Especially with Leopard in the works, I can see Apple making 2GB standard on at least the top model.

OP: if you want to run both OS X and XP at the same time (using Parallels or VMware or similar programs) make sure you get 2GB ram!

Don't count on that. Remember, stock RAM on the MacBook Pro went from 512MB/1GB/1GB to 2GB across the board in somewhat over a year. Especially with Leopard in the works, I can see Apple making 2GB standard on at least the top model.
Yes, but realize, like the macbook (not pro), the iMac is Apple's consumer line, not their prosumer line.

As for running quiet, I can barely hear my dad's 20" iMac when he's using it. That bugger is DAMNED quiet.

I was at Best Buy's "Apple Store" display area today, and was playing around with the 24" iMac - very cool computer, looks big too. I can't wait to see what the new iMac revision looks like.

Back