I want one of these ...

_l_

[H]ard|Gawd
I had no idea the Air Force was using cutting edge VR googles or is it a super high tech heads up display?

military_VR.jpg

Old news, really; the F-35 JSF eschews the traditional collimated HUD in front of the cockpit for a HMD that provides information no matter where the pilot is looking around, complete with head-tracking.

It comes in handy when trying to seek out ground targets, as you can just look through the cockpit and the plane itself by slaving the sensors to the HMD. It might also be useful for off-boresight locks with the AIM-9X, though a simpler sight would do just fine for that. (Yes, the head-tracked missiles in EVE: Valkyrie actually have more of a basis in real life than you'd think!)

I should note that fairly high-end VR HMDs have been around for decades, but simply were not affordable by the general consumer. (The VFX1, i-glasses! VPC and CyberMaxx were the exception, not the rule - and still fairly expensive for consumer products, at that!) I remember when eMagin actually hiked up their prices massively for their previously consumer-marketed Z800 HMD because they started focusing on the military market instead, and that thing's low-end compared to the stuff SA Photonics was offering.

Back