I want my CCNA

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
I graduated with my BS in comp sci last may and I miss learning already, so I figure why not go for some certs. (all the compTIA ones seem pointless and too easy, cisco / MS is next)

I figure I might as well buy my own practice lab and materials, so i check ebay and craig's list. I found this setup
http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-CCNA-CERT...ryZ11183QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and the price fits my budget. I looked into taking the CCNA boot camp at new horizons and it would end up costing about $4500

Is the CCNA something I can tackle with some dedication and hard studying on my own? Or are the classes worth the price?

Also, Would that setup have everything I need to pass the current CCNA test?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i didn't take any class's for ccna and i passed my first time. but then again i taught my self networking, programing, ect. and i had access to cisco eqp. to test, train, and mess with. having access to cisco eqp. is a huge help so if you can't get any, i would say take the class.

Thats why I am planning on buying the setup on ebay. The cost is alot less than the class and I really enjoying learning by playing with stuff.

thanks for the reply

Cisco 2500s are dirt cheap, just buy 3 of them and some back to back cables. I'm putting a lab together now of mostly free stuff from work, but back to back cables are $5-10 online, and 2500s aren't worth more than $30. You could build that lab for a lot less than $464 (inc. s/h).

I put an entire system together for my CCNA $400 bucks with cables

Includes 3x 2621xm 1 2651xm 2x 2950 1x 1750 and a couple t1 wic cards

make sure you also use simulators, they will help you immensely do a google for GNS3 its an amazing sim that you can load your own ISO images into :) good luck, have fun and buy a book

No need to take New Horizon's rip off courses in order to get a CCNA. I had two 2610 routers, dynamips/dynagen, Wendell Odom CCNA book from CiscoPress, the docs at Cisco's site, and the CCNA Prep Center also at Cisco's site. I was able to achieve a high score with just that. Probably didn't even need the actual hardware. Just replace dynamips/dynagen with GNS3, which is a GUI front-end, and you have all the tools that you need to pass the CCNA.

Thanks for the replies, I did go ahead and order the hardware, I am a big hands on type guy and this way I can make physical connections, and see exactly what I am doing. I figure I can use the hardware for my home network, or sell it when I am done.

I have been poking around the cisco website, and it seems like they have alot of great information available for free, I have also found a few practice tests online and several other resources.

Thanks for pointing out GNS3, I will look into that for sure

just use GNS3 it owns, no need to spend money on hardware, I got my CCNA using just gns3

I don't have the CCNA nor do I plan on going for it, but when I was doing my MCSE, I was talking with a guy that actually failed the CCNA a couple of days before. He failed because of the simulations, so I would concentrate heavily on those.

Agreed. I took a few CCNA classes as electives for my degree and the instructor said that the simulations are not capable of everything. Plus it is much more fun to play with the hardware anyways...

Yeah, I love playing with hardware, the guy got my stuff shipped out today, so it should be here by monday.

I am excited, I already started learning about the stuff you don't need hardware for like IP addressing, Subnets, the different classes of networks, reviewing the OSI model etc

Yes, I agree many of the learning simulations out there are lacking somewhat, but dynamips with it's front-ends dynagen/gns3 actually emulates the real Cisco router hardware so you can use a real IOS image. You can also sub a router for a switch with the proper configuration. For the CCNA you pretty much have everything you need right there in order to pass. The main hurdle is finding IOS images. ;)

As for the simulations on the exam itself, if you know the concepts (subnetting, router protocols, STP, etc), know the IOS commands, know how and where to get info from the router/switch, and practice by setting up your own virtual/real labs then that portion of the exam should not pose a problem. I found the simulation to be my favorite part of the exam.

I am excited, I already started learning about the stuff you don't need hardware for like IP addressing, Subnets, the different classes of networks, reviewing the OSI model etc

Know that subnetting stuff like it is second nature; last thing you want is to be stuck wasting valuable seconds/minutes trying to figure that stuff out. Plenty of stuff out there to help people subnet quickly. Check out this site for practice questions--it helped me alot:

http://www.subnettingquestions.com/

This thread has me intrigued. I recently applied for a job that required a CCNA. I don't have one but I am a very quick learner, but that didn't help me get the job.:(

So I looked at GNS3 which looks like it would be very helpful. Just for the heck of it I asked the network admin if they had any Cisco 2500's laying around and they have 2!

WOHOO!

Thanks for that link, I have been working through some examples and finding that I really need to get faster at converting to and from binary, I have always just relied on my ti-89 for doing the conversions. Time to practice I guess.

I have no problem doing the questions where it gives you a host IP and a subnet mask and asks you to find the subnet that the host belongs too, but all the binary takes me too long (like 5-7 minutes per question)

CCNA Sybex

Boson NetSim

I am currently re studying to obtain my CCNA. You can certainly throw down some cash for a few 2500 switches if you want and have the room. I went to a local community college and paid for the class with student loans. They have all the lab access you want. I also received a voucher for the exam which allows me to take the test one time for fee. The test should cost you $125 to $150 depends on which Peason Vue center you go to.

I recommend the Boson software because it beats having a stack of switches that can generate some heat. The Sybex book is a very user friendly version of the Cisco Press books that are out there which is another good source. My employer wants us to be CCNA certified so we are doing what we need to get there. They have classes for us to take but nothing beats using the Sim's and the practice tests that come along with the Sim. Make sure when you get material you get it for the 640-802 test. The old version pre Nov 2007 was the 640-801 as mentioned in the Boson link I provided. Best one I could find on Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think you need to buy 400 dollars worth of hardware to pass the CCNA....

Just buy a book on Cisco networking and learn the IOS CLI (which is extremely simple if your good with CLI's on Linux or Unix).

I saw this on craigslist.

Two 1700 Routers, one 2900 XL switch and one 3500 XL switch. I used these to pass my CCNA, everything you need is included. Bought this kit 7 months ago for $600, selling it for $375.

Both of the 1700 routers come with W/C 1T cards.
You also get the DCE/DTE along with a console cable and all power cords.

Back