I Want a new Tablet

for gaming i believe the new transformer 2 is supposed to be pretty good but if you want to go cheaper you could try a novo 7 elf (or advanced) or get a kindle fire and root it.

for gaming i believe the new transformer 2 is supposed to be pretty good but if you want to go cheaper you could try a novo 7 elf (or advanced) or get a kindle fire and root it.

I don't know about the Elf, but the regular Advanced wasn't all that great. The screen is definitely washed out in places like just about all chinese tablets. Also, the screen just isn't very responsive to the touch. I sold mine and am going to try a Kindle Fire.

Edit: I just got my Kindle Fire in the mail and it is definitely much better than the Novo Advanced was.

Last edited:
I don't know about the Elf, but the regular Advanced wasn't all that great. The screen is definitely washed out in places like just about all chinese tablets. Also, the screen just isn't very responsive to the touch. I sold mine and am going to try a Kindle Fire.

Edit: I just got my Kindle Fire in the mail and it is definitely much better than the Novo Advanced was.

the kindle fire is much better then a novo 7, but i threw the option out there because it still performs very well, its not perfect (or nearly as high quality as a fire) but it is functional, quick and cheap. I believe there is a knight version that is the advanced without camera's, and another version called the paladin which is the basic without cameras.

But i wont argue, the fire is definitely more bang for the buck, plus you can get cases and accessories designed specifically for it.

OP: what price range are you looking at?

I just rooted the Kindle, installed the market, and (even though running the stock ROM with a different launcher) it is definitely the best bang for the buck right now. I've used a number of tablets, but this dethrones the Nook Color in the budget category.

If you want a 10" tablet that runs Android 4.0, get the Asus Transformer Prime. If you want a 7", wait a little bit for the Asus Eee Pad MeMO. Its voted one of the best tablets of CES and is scheduled to come out for only $249. Basically, its like packing all the power of a $600 Transformer Prime (similar specs including Tegra 3, 1GB RAM, 32+gb HDD, gorilla glass covered IPS LED backlit display at 1280x800 or similar etc...) into a smaller version, for cheaper.

If you want a 10" tablet that runs Android 4.0, get the Asus Transformer Prime. If you want a 7", wait a little bit for the Asus Eee Pad MeMO. Its voted one of the best tablets of CES and is scheduled to come out for only $249. Basically, its like packing all the power of a $600 Transformer Prime (similar specs including Tegra 3, 1GB RAM, 32+gb HDD, gorilla glass covered IPS LED backlit display at 1280x800 or similar etc...) into a smaller version, for cheaper.

Yes, but when will we actually see it (MeMo)...3-4 months? You'll have a new iPad to play with also in that time frame.

iPad 3 comes out in march. Everything else is garbage. And yes I've used the almighty Asus Transformer and it's just as jank as Android phones are. Hopefully the Prime 2 with fixed wifi and ICS coming out in a few months will be better.

Last edited:
iPad 3 comes out in march. Everything else is garbage. And yes I've used the almighty Asus Transformer and it's just as jank as Android phones are. Hopefully the Prime 2 with fixed wifi and ICS coming out in a few months will be better.

Don't know what your talking about. I have a Transformer and I love it. Apple can kiss my iAss.

I've used an iPad 1, iPad 2, a few Tegra 2 tablets, Nook Color rooted, Kindle Fire rooted, chinese knockoff tablets, etc. I've used Android phones, iPhones, Symbian phones, and Windows Mobile phones.

You're full of shit. iOS isn't noticeably better than any other platform. The ONLY thing iOS has going for it is full control of the hardware to smooth over the user experience (like a console in gaming). iOS is nothing but an app launcher. That being said, there are a lot of great apps for iOS, but Android apps are rapidly catching up. Even in the last 6 months it is hard to find a useful app that doesn't have a direct or indirect Android equivalent. Even games are starting to catch up.

The iPhone has a tiny (relative) screen and no 4G. Personally, I wouldn't trade my Galaxy Nexus for another iPhone. The iPad is nice and I'll probably buy an iPad 3, but I see no reason to not buy a Transformer or Android device if you've already invested money into Android apps.

That's because you've probably never used anything better.

You probably don't know what your talking about since you don't know me. I will never buy an Apple product. Because thats my choice. Something Apple is totally against... choice.

You probably don't know what your talking about since you don't know me. I will never buy an Apple product. Because thats my choice. Something Apple is totally against... choice.

I use the best product available. I don't let stupid bias determine what I use.

I've used an iPad 1, iPad 2, a few Tegra 2 tablets, Nook Color rooted, Kindle Fire rooted, chinese knockoff tablets, etc. I've used Android phones, iPhones, Symbian phones, and Windows Mobile phones.

You're full of shit. iOS isn't noticeably better than any other platform. The ONLY thing iOS has going for it is full control of the hardware to smooth over the user experience (like a console in gaming). iOS is nothing but an app launcher. That being said, there are a lot of great apps for iOS, but Android apps are rapidly catching up. Even in the last 6 months it is hard to find a useful app that doesn't have a direct or indirect Android equivalent. Even games are starting to catch up.

The iPhone has a tiny (relative) screen and no 4G. Personally, I wouldn't trade my Galaxy Nexus for another iPhone. The iPad is nice and I'll probably buy an iPad 3, but I see no reason to not buy a Transformer or Android device if you've already invested money into Android apps.

I'm full of shit when it's my opinion that iOS is better? My iPhone doesn't hitch and studder when I go from page to page like my Android phone and Transformer did. Oh ok that never happened. I guess I was dreaming.

I mean, Android is certainly getting more and more polished over the years. Look at Android 4.0. Revamp of UI and themes, amongst other things. Kind of sad that not every device is getting official versions of ICS, but there's a great hacking community that brings all those things forward.

Gotta say, after a bit of experience for developing for the two platforms,

Android gives you a lot of control in terms of software. Man, things like ROM Manager and BOOT manager let you test programs for different versions, easily!

Apple is nice because there's a lot less fragmentation. You don't have to design an app, knowing that it'll go on 4 different screen sizes (with different DPIs). Also, the iPhone/iPad simulator is way faster than the Android emulator. Blech, QEmu is just too slow that you just have to use a physical device.

That being said, are you a developer?

Android is proving to be just like Windows. It will be version 7 before it is truly ready for prime time.

I'm full of shit when it's my opinion that iOS is better? My iPhone doesn't hitch and studder when I go from page to page like my Android phone and Transformer did. Oh ok that never happened. I guess I was dreaming.

Just like a PC, if you put on tons of crapware, sure, it'll be slow. :p My transformer was silky-smooth, heck even my droid incredible (first one) with a single-core snapdragon is pretty slick.

The screen is definitely washed out in places like just about all chinese tablets.

actually, Apple cut production numbers for the iPad2 (IPad3 will be 8.x") and their suppliers are now selling 9.7" IPS panels to Chinese domestic market tablet makers (Teclast, Cube, Window, Bmorn, Onda, etc). So tablets like the Teclast A10, Bmorn V99, Windo N90, Cube U9GT2 are shipping with the RK2918 or A10 chipset, 512GB or 1GB of RAM, Android 2.3 or 4.0, and the screens equal to what you would find in an Apple product.

that being said, for gaming you are probably better off with a smaller, lower resolution screen =)

I'm waiting for this to come out before I make the jump.

I have had a Nook Color for a little over 5 months now. Rooted it basically a day after I got it. With Cyanogenmod and the possibility to oc with a few taps makes it a great deal at the ~185 I got mine for. Small and lightweight yet still able to read documents on it, read books, watch movies on the airplane/long car rides and of course play games...it also has quite good battery life too.

a new version of the Ainol NOVO7 just came out, its probably the best sub $200 7" tablet shipping with ICS 4.o at the moment:

1024 x 600 five point multitouch IPS screen by Hitachi, 1GB DDR3 RAM, 1.5GHz Allwinner A10 cpu + Mali 400 GPU, HDMI out 1080p, Wifi 802.11b/g/n, 2.0MP Front Camera, Micro SDHC (up to 32GB).

the 8GB version should be @ $150 and another $25 for the 16GB...

Transformer Prime, I love mine. I have a few tablets, work related had to test them for the office and the prime is the best.

a new version of the Ainol NOVO7 just came out, its probably the best sub $200 7" tablet shipping with ICS 4.o at the moment:

1024 x 600 five point multitouch IPS screen by Hitachi, 1GB DDR3 RAM, 1.5GHz Allwinner A10 cpu + Mali 400 GPU, HDMI out 1080p, Wifi 802.11b/g/n, 2.0MP Front Camera, Micro SDHC (up to 32GB).

the 8GB version should be @ $150 and another $25 for the 16GB...

I had one of the earlier ones, but the wifi wasn't all that great, and the responsiveness of the single core A10 wasn't as nice as a dual core tablet (say Kindle Fire). Personally, I'd buy another Kindle Fire over another Novo7. I could live with the lower resolution TN screen...it was the tablet itself that was slower.

Im sure this has been mentioned but the ipad 3 is suppose to release within the next 2 months.. quad core and 2048x1536 display.. gonna be nice

itll be my first tablet

Im sure this has been mentioned but the ipad 3 is suppose to release within the next 2 months.. quad core and 2048x1536 display.. gonna be nice

itll be my first tablet

I think it's going to be a problem with the 15 million users already at 1024x768 and the apps already available for them. If it ends up being like an iPhone app that scales on the iPad (with the 2x button) than it's a waste of a high res display. Should be interesting though.

Yeah I'm not too sold on the rush to higher resolutions on tablets, it's nice but as mentioned the iphone to ipad issue is already a mess. Now to cram three resolutions into it? And the screens aren't that big, I mean shit it's impressive, but how much gain will there actually be?

Yeah I'm not too sold on the rush to higher resolutions on tablets, it's nice but as mentioned the iphone to ipad issue is already a mess. Now to cram three resolutions into it? And the screens aren't that big, I mean shit it's impressive, but how much gain will there actually be?

I don't see it as a problem for iPad apps....Just gigger a mode to use all the pixel resolution. Old iPhone apps in portrait mode suck on on iPad anyway...so why not include a 4x button in addition to a 2x button? Not a big deal and you still get to use the app. The one iPhone app I use on my IPad the most is the audible.com audio book app. That is one sucky experience, but then again, I don't spend a lot of time looking at the app once I've started a book.

We cannot let the old be the enemy of the new. There is a point where increased resolution is of no benefit...but iPad 2 isn't there. I wish it were, though, because then I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade....except for resolution and memory, it has pretty much all the features I envision I need. Obviously, future events and developments could cause me to revise what I think I need.

I think it's going to be a problem with the 15 million users already at 1024x768 and the apps already available for them. If it ends up being like an iPhone app that scales on the iPad (with the 2x button) than it's a waste of a high res display. Should be interesting though.

It will act like the first gen iPhone apps did on the iPhone4/4s. It will still be full screen, it will just double the actual pixel sizes to fill the space accordingly. I have a feeling though, much like the iphone scenereo, that developers will quickly update their apps to support the new resolution.

The only reason that iPhone apps don't run in a completely full screen mode on the iPad is because the original iPhone resolution is 320x480 (and double that for the 4/4s, 640x960).

Since the iPad's resolution is 1024x768, the iPhone apps can't scale at an even 1:1 ratio while filling the entire screen. Running at anything other than a 1:1 pixel ratio would cause distortion and, in general, a really shitty IQ (especially text). Thank god for the RetinaPad hack... while iPhone apps still look strange on the iPad with their HUGE user interfaces, the increased resolution helps a little.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd buy another Kindle Fire over another Novo7. I could live with the lower resolution TN screen...it was the tablet itself that was slower.

the Kindle has 512MB of RAM and 1.0GHz OMAP, the NOVO7 Aurora has 1GB of DDR3 and an ARM overclocked to 1.5GHz. I can appreciate your hands on experience but Ainol has 5 versions of the NOVO7 now and with the micro SD slot, a much nicer screen, shipping with ICS, you are paying more for the Kindle Fire and getting a lot less IMHO.

the Kindle has 512MB of RAM and 1.0GHz OMAP, the NOVO7 Aurora has 1GB of DDR3 and an ARM overclocked to 1.5GHz. I can appreciate your hands on experience but Ainol has 5 versions of the NOVO7 now and with the micro SD slot, a much nicer screen, shipping with ICS, you are paying more for the Kindle Fire and getting a lot less IMHO.

Maybe I'll give it another look. The price is nice obviously.

Alright I looked:

Novo7 Advanced - The first one I had. Lots written about this. ~$140
Novo7 Advanced II - Not sure what the difference is other than this one has ICS. Even Merimobiles didn't say much about the difference ~$140
Novo7 Elf - 1024x600 resolution instead of 800x480, 1gb RAM. ~$150
Novo7 Aurora - IPS 1024x600 screen. 8gb/16gb variations. ~$175/200

None of them are clocked to 1.5Ghz. They are all clocked at 1Ghz. In my experience, if you clocked it to even 1.2Ghz, it would freeze. I need to read more about the Wifi range. It was virtually impossible to use unless you were in the same room as the router in my house.

For me the hot ticket is a Tegra 3 processor and a super amoled screen. Super amoled is just awesome.

I have experience with android based mobile...it is easy to use and easily with connect with any one by this resource...I love it..

Remember that current version of Prime does not have 3G modem, so you will be limited to WiFI, when you want to connect to the marketplace or check the net. It is rumored though, that new version with modem will be aviable soon, so if you want Tegra3/Android device, you'd better wait.

On the other hand, I've bought recently new iPad and I'm very happy with it.

Buying a tablet for gaming is somewhere, to me personally, along the lines of buying a Camry for spirited driving. You just don't do it. Get a Vita for a handheld for that. Now if you want VERY casual gaming, go for it. But even with very casual, you're missing the point of the tablet. You can do much more.

Get the tablet that has the apps you want, that has the OS you like, that has the size and feel you like.
Like the apple OS? Get the new iPad, screen and power are fantastic. Tons of apps. Like the android OS? Get yourself an EEE Prime or Samsung Tab. Can't go wrong with any choice really. Depends on what you like.

i want something like the kindle fire or nook tablet with HDMI out though... im not sure anything like that exists

- dual core
- 7" IPS panel
- HDMI out

Could try the ASUS EEE Pad Transformer TF101, 10" IPS, dual core tegra 2.

Samsung's Galaxy Tab is great too, similar spec, their own take on the IPS panel solution (Call it Super, can't tell a difference really), also utilizes a tegra 2.

Back