I want a Dilution Refrigerator !

haha. I wonder if that system would freeze an electron in place? Then you'd be sol.

I just got a headache reading that. :( Can someone explain it, please?

Summary: One of the coldest things ever.

How?: Continuous cycling of two isotopes of helium (He3 and He4) at EXTREMELY low temperatures. He3-rich phase has a high specific heat than He3-poor phase (I believe), and the cycling of the mixture allows for the cooling effect.

How cold? 2-700mK. Huh? How cold is that? Water freezes at 32*F = 0*C = 278.15K. These things run at 2-700mK = .002-.7K. ... HUH!? -278.08*C Yeah, cold.

Best comparison: Water cooling. Imagine the He3-rich/poor mixture to be like water in a WC loop. Cold water passes through the blocks, warms up, then is cooled by the rad, and the water is cycled. In this case, He3-rich mixture is pushed through the system, and is converted to a He3-poor mixture. Instead of a rad, a condenser is used to chill the mixture again, and the cycle is continued.

Oh, okay. Thanks. :)

Wouldn't work for a computer. :p
Semi-conductors stop being semi-conductors at those temperatures. That, and the amount of heat your CPU dumped into the helium would make it just about impossible for the helium to actually get/stay that cold. It might be there when the computer was off, but once you booted (assuming for a moment that you could boot), I believe the temperature would skyrocket.

I agree that semi-conductors wouldn't function at that temperature. In terms of the chemistry behind it... that's close enough to absolute zero that the flow of electrons would SERIOUSLY be impeded. haha

that´s some COOL stuff literally, well the new Quantum Computer from D-Wave Systems uses a Dilution Refrigerator

Back