I thought Win 10 was a free upgrade?

Superjoe

[H]ard|Gawd
So I bought a Win 8.1 key from someone here on [H] and it worked for a while, but I just moved to a new motherboard and windows will no longer activate (can't do the phone option). So I figured I would just download Win10 because I thought even non-genuine windows could upgrade? But Windows 10 wants a product key? I'm confused.

Win 10's license is tied to your machine (in their eyes, that's your motherboard), so that's why. It's a free upgrade as long as you have the same motherboard.
You can likely contact them and potentially remedy the situation, though. Any chance you have a Windows 7 license? You can always upgrade on top of it, too.

Nope, a non-genuim copy of windows will not be able to upgrade to win 10. There's been like 10 million threads about. Where have you been?

Should have bought yourself a real copy of win 8.1.

Jesus Christ sorry I don't know fucking everything and just remember the articles where Microsoft said even pirated copies can upgrade.

Domingo, thanks. I don't have a key anymore so I suppose I'll just buy windows 10. Anybody know of any incentives going around like when 8 cane out for $15?

Well, I swapped my board out and then last night did the Win10 upgrade even though I hadn't called MS to get 8.1 reactivated over the phone.

It asked for my key and as soon as I put it in it let me upgrade.

Why don't you have the 8.1 key anymore?

You can always use winkeyfinder to pull it off of your machine.

I do actually still have the key it just won't work anymore. I guess it's been blacklisted or something. Just surprised I didn't even get the phone option. I've had to do that several times in the past. Oh well if I ha e to buy it again it isn't a big deal. Thanks LS!

So I bought a Win 8.1 key from someone here on [H] and it worked for a while, but I just moved to a new motherboard and windows will no longer activate (can't do the phone option). So I figured I would just download Win10 because I thought even non-genuine windows could upgrade? But Windows 10 wants a product key? I'm confused.

I think 8.1 still needs to be activated first before it will upgrade to 10. Pirated versions still appear as activated.

Turns out there is a generic product key for win 10 as well, and it is letting me upgrade without being activated.

TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99

There's always the option of the Windows Insider Program. I think you can still join. You'll have to accept insider builds and updates, but it will activate at no charge.

Jesus Christ sorry I don't know fucking everything and just remember the articles where Microsoft said even pirated copies can upgrade.

Domingo, thanks. I don't have a key anymore so I suppose I'll just buy windows 10. Anybody know of any incentives going around like when 8 cane out for $15?

easy easy...

anyway, those articles are correct, pirate copies CAN upgrade, but they never said that upgraded pirate copies will be activated and genuine.

you're confusing two very very distinct things.

easy easy...

anyway, those articles are correct, pirate copies CAN upgrade, but they never said that upgraded pirate copies will be activated and genuine.

you're confusing two very very distinct things.

OK, now some of us are confused. Why (T F) would Microsoft allow an upgrade on a pirated version of Windows? So they can brag about all the systems running Win 10? I don't think so.

When Windows 10 asks you for the CD key, just skip that portion as many times as it asks, it'll still install an should activate once you go online.

OK, now some of us are confused. Why (T F) would Microsoft allow an upgrade on a pirated version of Windows? So they can brag about all the systems running Win 10? I don't think so.

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...ay-pirates-even-after-windows-10-upgrade.html

Although Microsoft will let pirates upgrade to Windows 10, the company's not giving them a free pass, the company confirmed today.

Illegal copies of Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 that are upgraded to Windows 10 will continue to be marked as "non-genuine," the Microsoft term for pirated or illegitimate licenses of its operating system.

"With Windows 10, although non-genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a reply to questions.

"If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade," the spokesperson added (emphasis added).

read, educate ;)

I do actually still have the key it just won't work anymore. I guess it's been blacklisted or something. Just surprised I didn't even get the phone option. I've had to do that several times in the past. Oh well if I ha e to buy it again it isn't a big deal. Thanks LS!

Yea thats probably a bad key. Just the luck of the draw. Doesnt sound like it was really legit to begin with.

Yea thats probably a bad key. Just the luck of the draw. Doesnt sound like it was really legit to begin with.

Might have been a Technet key that he sold to a bunch of people. Each key can have 10 concurrent activations, and I am not sure how long between activation's that it resets.

privacy? is there such a thing anymore?

Sadly, it seems not to exist any more. What is worse, the way many here accept it, and not rebel against it. Harsher than that, are the ones who berate you when you cry foul over the loss of privacy.

Since privacy is lost, we damn well better make sure our actions online stay legal, or we are going deep into an Orwellian future...

Sadly, it seems not to exist any more. What is worse, the way many here accept it, and not rebel against it. Harsher than that, are the ones who berate you when you cry foul over the loss of privacy.

Since privacy is lost, we damn well better make sure our actions online stay legal, or we are going deep into an Orwellian future...

See this quote from 1999: http://archive.wired.com/politics/law/news/1999/01/17538

We ARE in that Orwellian future. In 1984, Orwell wrote about three super-states. And what do we have today: The USA, Czar Putin's Russia, and Emperor Xi's China.

Because they do have a program where they can convert your non activated version to a genuine copy at a nice discount, but only if you are a victim of a fraud by a OEM or other similar circumstances. The program has been in place since the Vista era.

True. I got 10.1 just for sending them nudes.....

wtf? I had to send a check for $10,000 to Prince Algeribazalia of Nigeria for a Windows 10 key to be unlocked because I was apparently on the list to receive the inheritance of the late Prince Tehalizcaianabul.. Hope I get my key and $300,000 inheritance soon..

See this quote from 1999: http://archive.wired.com/politics/law/news/1999/01/17538

We ARE in that Orwellian future. In 1984, Orwell wrote about three super-states. And what do we have today: The USA, Czar Putin's Russia, and Emperor Xi's China.

Indeed we are.

It is incredible how many things George Orwell DID get right, and so far into the future at the time he wrote it. He may have been off a few decades, but spot-on correct about the human socio-developement.

Digging an awfully big hole for ourselves we are.

Will there be a third party program to automatically get rid of all these new privacy invasions at once?

Also is there one to get rid of the ones in windows 7/8?

There is a 3rd party "app" which claims to block the invasion of privacy. Impacts 37 different aspects of the OS... So far.

And, apparently, the app is still bypassed, as the OS will still phone home. To do it right, you have to set up your Hardware Firewall and block the ever revolving websites Microsoft sends its data to.

I suppose MS thought of that already hence the forced upgrades?

Why do so many companies nowadays want to run their own little totalitarian regime?

There is a 3rd party "app" which claims to block the invasion of privacy. Impacts 37 different aspects of the OS... So far.

And, apparently, the app is still bypassed, as the OS will still phone home. To do it right, you have to set up your Hardware Firewall and block the ever revolving websites Microsoft sends its data to.

Looks like it's time to add a dedicated firewall to the network. The LTE routers firewall can't accept more than line at a time.

Yah. But we're talking some serious coin here.

Not really. It's free. I have parts and internet connection to download a linux firewall. I think even a Raspberry Pi2 would suffice as a firewall.

One guy posted (not sure which Win 10 thread) that he downloaded this app and found it full of scamware.

Not "true" scamware - definitely ADWARE.

Here is an updated article on apps which assist in privacy...

https://bgr.com/2015/08/14/windows-10-spying-prevention-privacy-tools/

AGAIN, BE very CAREFUL, as the apps can be "added to..."

So, use at own risk, and make sure you are getting the apps from the original creator's links... So easy to pick up unwanted baggage via a simple google search these days...

Back