I thnk the burner in my 9300 is faulty

Foz2001

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been having a ton of trouble trying to run madden 06, and other discs seem to take forever to load. It will start to spin up, stop, spin up , stop etc..... The drive also makes a slight squeeking noise when its spinning at a low speed. Don't know what to do, I cant really afford to be out of a computer to send it away to dell.. Wishing I would of gotten an extended warranty now.

My friend's 9300 doesn't make that noise so yeah the drive's bad. HOWEVER, you are in luck, the Optical drive is considered a Customer replaceable unit. Tech support should be able to just send you a new Optical drive on-site warranty or no. They did that for my friend's i8200 for both the Hard Drive and CD RW. They sent him the drives and he replaced them and sent them back.

mine died in my XPS gen 2 on saturday, called got replacment yesterday....referb...:(

It may not be the DVD drive, but it may be that its running in PIO mode. My 9300 came like that. I was having problems buring ect.. it was just plain slow!

well i havnt even tried burning anything yet. Im not having a problem sometimes loading into windows. The drive will jsut constantly spin and windows hangs until i open the cd-tray, then the desktop loads. It's quite annoying. Is it hard to replace the drive?

Foz2001 said:
Is it hard to replace the drive?
It's 1 screw. You don't need to send in the laptop (err.. have Dell pick it up). If you did have a bad burner, Dell would just send you another with a pre-paid label to return the other one.

I'd guess your problem isn't the burner. Start booting normally next time, but hold down the shift key while booting until Windows comes up. If it doesn't hang this way, some driver or application is hanging during boot. Ejecting the tray causes an interrupt that is getting around the problem. Troubleshoot any software problem(s) first before blaming the hardware. :p

when mine died it would do a spin click, and yes it does hang the os loading as something or windows itself it trying to look at the cd. try booting to your drivers and utitils cd, it is bootable, that will tell you if its bad or not. I knew mine was bad because it didnt work in linux or windows.

Back