I think this is a stupid Q but will having a second monitor effect my gaming performance

BottomsUp

Gawd
My scenario is i have a 980Ti running a 1440p monitor and the GPU runs 99% on the game I play. This game has a complex inventory mgmt system so i am always alt tabbing to look up statistics and such.

I am thinking of getting a cheap 1080p monitor so i can have the stat sheets and reference guides up for quick glance while I play fulls screen on the other monitor.

Thanks!

Just switch between them holding down the WIndows Key and pressing P in Windows 10.

if they're both the same refresh rate you shouldn't have any issues. mixing refresh rates is not a nice thing depending on what you're displaying on the secondary monitor.

if they're both the same refresh rate you shouldn't have any issues. mixing refresh rates is not a nice thing depending on what you're displaying on the secondary monitor.

refresh rate would be different. i have an old 1080p 60hz but play on a 144hz

I use different resolution/refresh on 980ti without issue.

Might cost like 2fps to run second monitor.

I wish this was the case for me. I spent so much time trying to fix it but i just gave up and now just use my single PG348Q.

I usually had one or two basic 23" 1080p screens hooked up to my GTX970 in addition to my main PG348Q (now GTX1070) that just held things like chat windows and task manager, etc...

I couldn't figure out for the life of me why i wasn't getting the performance I thought I should have. After weeks of trying different things, INCLUDING upgrading to a GTX1070 (that wasn't really the reason), I gave up.

Disconnected them entirely and boom, instantly everything felt way better in games.

I then decided to try and run those two screens off my onboard graphics and STILL had the same problem. I just leave them disconnected now.

No, it doesn't make sense and yes, it was probably just something wrong with my setup but I did everything possible besides a fresh re-install of Windows. Once I finally get around to doing that, i'll retry.

I took a netbook that a customer left here months ago, working fine (just needed reload of OS), I loaded Ubuntu on it and use it for pulling up gaming related info/sites while I am playing games. Works great. I have no room for a 2nd monitor so this will do for now.

refresh rate would be different. i have an old 1080p 60hz but play on a 144hz
as long as you're not displaying video on the other monitor it should be fine, but windows compositor will often cause windows to drop frames in order to be the same framerate as the lowest refresh rate screen. very noticeable if you use smooth-scroll.

Back