i think my x99 deluxe just bit the dust.

akhoundog

n00b
I was playing bf4 for about an hour and exited to desktop when my psu started running its fans on max followed by a small pop. At first i thought my psu went but after swapping psu's it still wont power on. All the fans jiggle when i hit the power button and the psu clicks. I noticed this soldier area on my board, top left of the cpu socket. Looks like it got hot, does anyone else's look like this?

What are the chances my 5960x and ram (or more) are damaged?

This is extremely frustrating. This is my second x99 deluxe. My first one would randomly shut down.

https://imageshack.com/i/pbzuedlTj

Is it possible something else is causing the damage?

Two motherboards in a row seems fishy.

I read about frying X99 boards and it may have something to do about loading the XMP profiles.

I had xmp profile enabled. The last motherboard i didn't have xmp enabled, it would randomly power down and restart. This unit was stable for probably 60 hours of use.

I'm going to chime in even if it sounds like I'm putting blame on you.

The odds of you going through two boards is pretty far-fetched. It just doesn't happen. Even for shitty brands.

1. Never rush a build. It doesn't have to be built in record time. Take your time and think out every step carefully. My builds take a few hours on average. When I'm dealing with an $8,000 dollar workstation build, it can take 3 or 4 hours.

2. Discharge yourself of static. Do this by grounding yourself and touching two different pieces of metal at the same time. Example, the computer case and 2nd stationary piece of metal.

3. Never ever over tighten screws. Get them very snug and leave them alone. If you drop a screw in the case, don't abandon it and reach for another one. That lose screw could short out your components and cause real immediate or long term damage. Make sure you have a good gripe on your tools. Dropping them into the case and onto the motherboard can cause real damage. Sometimes, not so apparent until after the fact weeks later. Always police your screws.

4. After your motherboard is set in place and tacked down with a few screws. Always test out the usb ports / nic port to make sure that they can be used correctly. It's very common for people that rush their build and or over tighten screws cause the motherboard to be out of alignment and or tweaked that these ports and nic / usb devices do not have the proper clearance.

5. Never force any component card into a slot. If you feel and obstruction, pull the card out and make sure you have clearance and only then re-interduce the card. I also see a lot of guys put a card in at such an angle that they are forced to use more force that what is really needed. This is never good and can cause unseen damage down the road. Take your time and go slowly.

6. Never build a PC in the middle of your living room on the carpet. I see guys doing this. Don't allow kids or pets to run around your work area. It should be a will lit area with ample room. Cut corners in this area and you degrade the quality of your build.
Asus and other companies do as much practical quality assurance a possible. Human and automated. Chances are you're getting a defect free board. The whole point of installing the cpu, the memory and the board into the case is to continue that level of quality assurance until the build is complete and the side panel is back on the pc. You want to use time, skill, forward thinking and the right tools to achieve this. Cutting corners will greatly take away from you being able to guarantee your work and to rule out all the what-if's.

Follow all my steps, use the right tools, build in the right place with the right light and conditions and take your time. Never force anything and discharge yourself of static. I can promise you that boards will fire up the first time every single time. Computers are not hardy tough pieces of office or home equipment. Do not bang them around, drag them, or bump shit into the cases. Those motherboards take the direct kinetic energy of any and all bumps.

Iv pretty much followed all those steps methodically, i have the same ideas. At the time of building i was relying on an entirely different system and wanted to maximize air flow and stowed all cables as good as possible. Build time was about 2 evenings.

Looks like the power delivery area of my board went up, just like the link above. I have my doubts on getting an rma for this board because of the unlikely hood of getting two bad boards, especially from a vendor's perspective.

Last edited:
May be a blown pwn controller .
They will have to handle this rma , no questions asked .
I dont think the cpu or ram would have been damaged.
The reason why the psu clicks is , there is a short circuit ? is the psu a new model >? does it have short circuit protection ?

It's a corsair ax1200i, i threw me hx750 in there before suspecting the motherboard. i have my video cards installed in the case with my old 920/p6t deluxe. talk about a huge bottleneck with a pair of gtx980's even at 4.1ghz.

RMA the board and the PSU if it's done it twice. If you are USA based and need help with the RMA send me a PM and I will forward you details of the CLM team who handle online RMA cases.

Thanks, that's helpful. Ill shoot you a pm later. It's hard to suspect the psu just because i had it running my 4790k and its only a month or so old.

Back