I think my SSD is dead

SolidBladez

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a couple of Micron M600 1TB drives which I ran in software RAID-0 (dumb but I did have backups). Back in May this year I had them sitting on my desk until my next build which didn't come along until last month. I finally got them installed and was planning on reinitializing the RAID within Windows (I've done it a few times, no issues) but the first thing I noticed was that my rig was booting into Windows really slowly, like 4 min instead of 8 seconds. I wasn't able to re-establish the RAID inside Disk Management and on top of that one of the SSDs isn't showing any SMART status within CrystalDiskInfo.

I loaded up Parted Magic and did a secure erase on both drives but again, one of the drives wouldn't erase, kept saying "Erase Error". Same goes for the drive info - wouldn't show anything on that one drive.

I did a quick search and noticed Micron's site had a firmware update for this particular model. I was able to flash both drives but the "defective" drive still wouldn't show up correctly within the OS.

So I'm thinking it's not a firmware issue, more like a hardware issue with the NAND or something.

itmXBiV.png

Oh and I did try different computers, various SATA cables, and SATA ports.

Do these drives have any sort of management software that might be able to access them directly? I noticed a slow-down on my desktop SSD (a Sandisk Extreme 240gb from a few years back) - I'd get random stutters here and there. SanDisk provides a decent tool to check their drives and it showed multiple failures in the SMART, I think one parameter had 140 above a threshold of 3.

If you have recent images / backups of the RAID, you could destroy it and see if you can format just one of the drives. If they don't take a format, you know they're done.

If you have a warranty RMA the defective drive.

Sadly I bought them used and after checking Micron's website it seems like they only RMA drives bought directly from their storefront.

Do these drives have any sort of management software that might be able to access them directly? I noticed a slow-down on my desktop SSD (a Sandisk Extreme 240gb from a few years back) - I'd get random stutters here and there. SanDisk provides a decent tool to check their drives and it showed multiple failures in the SMART, I think one parameter had 140 above a threshold of 3.

If you have recent images / backups of the RAID, you could destroy it and see if you can format just one of the drives. If they don't take a format, you know they're done.

To be honest I don't know. Since it doesn't even take a format I'm just going to assume it's gone.

Did you try a new SATA cable? I have had that cause grief with drives and SSD's in the past.

Back