I think my Q6600 is running slow..

Javi

Weaksauce
For some reason the core speed will never go above 1600 MHz.

ohnoes.gif

This is a shot I took when running Prime95. Could anyone tell me what gives? Running stock cooler.

EDIT: mobo is Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

I'd focus on fixing those temperatures first.

those temps seem normal for a maybe a stock cooler and orthos load. So i would think he needs a new heatsink.

disable all the cooling crap in bios

those temps seem normal for a maybe a stock cooler and orthos load. So i would think he needs a new heatsink.

disable all the cooling crap in bios

those temps are not normal for stock cooling at his reduced speeds. I ran my poorly ventilated Gateway the at full speed (2.4Ghz) with the stock cooler for hours with 4 instances of Othos running and never got above 72c.

those temps are not normal for stock cooling at his reduced speeds. I ran my poorly ventilated Gateway the at full speed (2.4Ghz) with the stock cooler for hours with 4 instances of Othos running and never got above 72c.

:)Oh, correct. I see he was only @ 1600mhz.

Okay guys, it looks like the multiplier in BIOS was only set to 6x. I set it to 9x, and the temps were not running good at all. It's running 44c now in idle, but when I ran Prime95, the temps went above 80C.

I was going to look in getting a new heatsink anyhows, hopefully I can run better temps. Funny how ambient temp is only 27C (81F) near the end of the day where the sun shines in the office.

I wouldn't think 80C is anywhere near normal, even under load. Especially for a non overclocked processor.

Yea, and it is only a B3 stepping, so you are really warm for one of those.

I would get some new thermal grease, clean the stuff off of the stock cooler and see if that helps. You may have gotten something between the sink and the CPU when you were installing it that is preventing good contact. Also, is the fan plugged in and running full speed.

Your MOBO might be throttling the CPU at those temps.

Don

Yea, that's way hot. Get a Freezer 7 or Tuniq Tower. I had a TT for a little while and I ran at 3GHz with 60º C orthos temps.

There is no way in hell I would allow one of my CPUs to get that hot. I would double and triple check the mounting of the heatsink as you shouldn't have temps anywhere near that high no matter what you are running. Unless the ambient temp is well over 100F you should not be seeing those temps even with the stock cooler.

More than likely the problem is with the mounting. I'm doubting you have all the pins pushed in all the way making proper contact with the heatspreader.

Yes, the rig in my sig is using a TRUE but it's overclocked to 3.6Ghz with 1.42v after vdroop and at full load with an ambient temp of 87F today I was running 62C on the hottest core.

I'm not quite sure about the logic behind "Wow, his CPU is running really hot. Disable all the stuff that might mean it runs cooler."

Keep EIST/C1E on! It'll mean it runs cooler at idle, and it clocks back up to full speed when needed.

My friend was in your situation. His Q6700 was running hot and slow. Turns out he mounted the stock cooler incorrectly and it wasn't making proper contact. As a result the CPU was slowing itself down to protect itself. Once he reset the heatsink it worked great.

So in his case the high temps actually caused the system to drop the multi to 6, but normally CPU-Z would still show 1600mhz if speedstep is enabled.

So in his case the high temps actually caused the system to drop the multi to 6, but normally CPU-Z would still show 1600mhz if speedstep is enabled.

Right, but as soon as he ran prime it would jump to 2400. Looks as if he had the multi set to 6x manually.

Oh, and those temps are HORRIBLE!

I run a qx6700 and those temps are bad fix them soon or the life of that chip will be cutt short.

UPDATE - I reapplied the heatsink with some new thermal compound. I set the multiplier back to 9x, and idle is now about 40c. Load is about 72c max. I like what I am seeing, but I'm still going to get a new heatsink this weekend when I get a chance to mess around. Thanks, guys

Q6600 Great Chip

thank you for your valued input, and great contribution to this thread. you are a valued member of this community. please, feel free to add your knowledgeable input wherever you see fit. do you work for intel? it sounds like you do.

Probably an overseas branch of Intel because "Q6600 Great Chip" is a barely comprehensible sentence.

Under a full Prime95 load, my Q6600 does in fact hit 73C...but it is also overclocked to 3GHz with a stock cooler attached. What are your ambient temps?

thank you for your valued input, and great contribution to this thread. you are a valued member of this community. please, feel free to add your knowledgeable input wherever you see fit. do you work for intel? it sounds like you do.

There's no need to be a complete jerk over someone saying something out of line. Yea, it was a stupid comment - ignore it, no need to get all pissy.

Under a full Prime95 load, my Q6600 does in fact hit 73C...but it is also overclocked to 3GHz with a stock cooler attached. What are your ambient temps?

About 26C(80F) right now. It probably gets to 22C in the evenings. But it's not summer here (in Texas), so it's likely to get warmer.

There's no need to be a complete jerk over someone saying something out of line. Yea, it was a stupid comment - ignore it, no need to get all pissy.

i didnt get pissy at all. sarcastic, yes. but pissy, i dont think so.

so STFU.

I just installed the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro:
corenoes2.jpg

Running Prime95.
I'd say it's doing a lot better, wouldn't you guys say?

i didnt get pissy at all. sarcastic, yes. but pissy, i dont think so.

so STFU.

Just because you were being sarcastic doesn't mean you weren't being pissy - they aren't exclusive >.> Usually sarcasm comes with something else too -- few things are purely sarcastic and nothing else.

My Q6600 is running at stock speeds with the following...

cpu: 43
core1: 30
core2: 32
core3: 25
core4: 27

and that is @ idle, using a zalman cooler. I would definately look into getting a better cooling situation for sure. Those temps may be "OK" but they aren't what you want for sure!

My Q6600 is running at stock speeds with the following...

cpu: 43
core1: 30
core2: 32
core3: 25
core4: 27

and that is @ idle, using a zalman cooler. I would definately look into getting a better cooling situation for sure. Those temps may be "OK" but they aren't what you want for sure!

Idle temps don't mean anything unless they're increadibly high (50+). It's load temps that matter.

Running Prime95.
I'd say it's doing a lot better, wouldn't you guys say?

Well, better is a relative term.

I am running a Q6600 at 3.2 Ghz at 1.4 volts on a Theramltake MaxOrb and I get similar temps under Prime95 load. My G0 stepping can run 10 degrees hotter than your B3 stepping CPU can, but I don't like to run on the ragged edge.

You should be able to do much better, even with a B3 stepping Q6600 at those settings.

You should invest in a better cooler if you want to play around with clocking.

Don

With an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, you should really be seeing lower temperatures at stock speeds, even with a B3. It's certainly doing better than it was though. Maybe the chip is just terrible >.>

With an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, you should really be seeing lower temperatures at stock speeds, even with a B3. It's certainly doing better than it was though. Maybe the chip is just terrible >.>

The problem with the AF7pro is that it only works well when you have good airflow in your case. In mine, there is terrible airflow and not much of any way to resolve that problem. The stock fan and fin spacing causes too much air to blow around the unit rather than through it.

q6600load.png

q6600 @ 3.2ghz using thermalright ultra 120 extreme. however my TRUE is lapped and it helps quite a bit.

Well, better is a relative term.

I am running a Q6600 at 3.2 Ghz at 2.4 volts on a Theramltake MaxOrb and I get similar temps under Prime95 load. My G0 stepping can run 10 degrees hotter than your B3 stepping CPU can, but I don't like to run on the ragged edge.

You should be able to do much better, even with a B3 stepping Q6600 at those settings.

You should invest in a better cooler if you want to play around with clocking.

Don

2.4v? did you just say 2.4? i hope you mean 1.4v max...because at 2.4 the chip will die within a few minutes.

The problem with the AF7pro is that it only works well when you have good airflow in your case. In mine, there is terrible airflow and not much of any way to resolve that problem. The stock fan and fin spacing causes too much air to blow around the unit rather than through it.

Aren't case fans cheap though? I mean depending on the case you may have to angle them a bit, but it shouldn't be too incredibly hard.

Aren't case fans cheap though? I mean depending on the case you may have to angle them a bit, but it shouldn't be too incredibly hard.

Gateway case with one 92mm fan on the back and no place to put another that would benefit airflow.

I have an older Chieftec Dragon case, so compared to today's cases, the airflow isn't all that good. The office in which the PC sits also happens to be the warmest room in the house come afternoon, as the sun directly hits the room through a single-paned window (ugh, i know).
I have 5 case fans, all 80mm:
There are two intake fans on the front, but one of those fans cater to the hard drives.
There is a side fan that seems to go directly over the video card.
There are two exhaust fans in the rear. All the fans are low noise fans.

I have two options at this point. Mod the case a bit to include a few 120mm fans (one at top, one on the side panel), or buy a new case. Probably going to opt for the former since I don't feel like plunking down $100 for a new case as of yet.

Back