I think my PSU is Dying. Help me Confirm?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by Zarathustra[H], Feb 19, 2019.

1. primetime

primetime [H]ardness Supreme

oh and my advice is do a quick temporary hookup to verify the dam thing works like Kyle does with new builds...would suck to run all those cables if it has issues lol

2. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Yeah, I had a pretty good feeling about it going in though. The fact that it ran perfectly OK basic on the desktop, but insta-shut down when it got a heavy load gave me a good feeling it was going to work.

3. Zarathustra[H]

I almost wonder if I should mention anything to MicroCenter about how their EPS extension cable...

I'm not looking for anything from them, but it might prevent this from happening to anyone else...

4. Paul_Johnson

Paul_Johnson [H] PSU Editor & Admin Staff Member

What are you going to tell them?

5. Zarathustra[H]

I don't know.. Maybe suggest they replace it in their stores with an extension with lower gauge wires?

In my case things worked out OK, but I'm a pretty seasoned builder, and if I didn't think to check the gauge of the extension, I'm betting almost no one does.

Last thing they want is someone burning down their house due to a cheap extension cable they bought at MicroCenter...

Heck, I don't even know if they sell the one I bought there anymore.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  6. Zarathustra[H]

Alright, strike that. I misremembered. Looks like I ordered this one on Amazon. I'm going to leave a review. Turns out I'm not the only person to have an issue with this cable.

7. Deadjasper

Deadjasper [H]ard|Gawd

I'm surprised a cable can fry like that without some collateral damage occurring.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  8. GeneO

GeneO Limp Gawd

My guess is it was the cheap connector on the extension cable in this case. Resistance in the connector heated it up eventually causing the connector to fail and short-out, resulting in a large current flowing through the wire and melting the insulation. Extensions on such high current cables should be avoided.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  9. Brian_B

Brian_B 2[H]4U

Connectors like that usually fry because of a bad pin crimp in the connector. The heat just travels up the wire because metal conducts heat pretty well. Larger gauge wire (smaller number) would help, but doesn’t make up for shitty QC or cheap lowest bidder automated construction process — the connector would still melt out, the insulation burns up as the heat travels, then you get wire to wire or wire to ground shorts and that’s when things get interesting.

10. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles [H]ard|Gawd

So that old silverstone PSU is still good?

11. Zarathustra[H]

Possibly, but I don't know how to test it to make sure and I'm not chancing it.